Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gdr 2006

mtbr member
    May 2005

All's quiet on the GDR front

Checking in to see who's talking and it seems to be pretty quiet here. Maybe folks can't see past Trans Iowa or Kokopelli. 8 weeks till start. Who's racing this year? I'd love to see a roster stirring. Its time to make plans. I'm waiting on a bike. If it happens, I think I'm in again. Who else? Racing this route is an endurance rite of passage. The question shouldn't be IF, but WHEN. What happened to the fixed gear rider that was threatening to ride?

Guys?...Gals?

Really I am that slow

I'll be there

With my fixie and my severe lack of cash =)

I'll be riding a fixie and eating ramen.

I am picking up a crosscheck frame and I think thats what i'll be riding or my kona.

You can read about my rides and training and other boring stuff on my blog.

I am a little pre ocupied with TI2 right now.....

A roster update does seem to be in line though.
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Enduro Freak
    I made the final decision to do the race today! I'm going to start ordering gear (racks/bags/new fork/etc) this week!

This will be my 26" superlight's final voyage. Helluva way to go!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

planning to race

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm planning to do the GDR this year.
    So I guess now that we have a few commited riders, we can start that roster.
    See you all in June!

mtbr member
    May 2005

three's company, how many makes a good race?

okay, that makes three, maybe four riders? not much of a field, really. anyone else?

mtbr member
    May 2005

navigation: two alternates in question

mike,
    can you please address two gdr route alternates not discussed in the rules.

first, brooks lake rd in wyoming:

This is a 9mi. piece of wyoming dirt road (FR 515/Brooks Lake Rd) at the top of Hwy 26/287's Togwotee Pass (GDMBR Map 2, Side B, miles 56.5-65.4). this is the main route, but was not used in the `99 ITT or by racers during the `04 record year. what is the status on this piece paralleling WY 26/287? Original route just bombed down 26/287, current route climbs/descends up into/around very scenic wind river range.

second, the red clay road thru el malpais (badlands) in NM outside Grants:

This significant chunk of dirt thru El Malpais has a paved alternate (see map 5 side B). The alternate was the main route in 99. In `04 racers that had the old maps did not travel this dirt, took alternate. Is this alternate legal for `06?

It may be important to reiterate there are several versions of the GDMBR maps. if racers use an older version, its their responsibility to obtain the addenda from adventure cycling's website.
    Last edited by mathewsen; 04-25-2006 at 02:17 PM.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    okay, that makes three, maybe four riders? not much of a field, really. anyone else?
    Matt-

Based on just about every conversation/email exchange I've had with you, coupled with the above quote, I have to ask:

Is anything, ever, good enough for you?

??

MC

mtbr member
    May 2005
    hey mike,
    what's been done with the gdr is good enuf. can races be improved upon without sacrificing an essence? yes.

regarding my quote you referenced, seems there's been less discussion, exposure on the gdr this year. if i'm going to participate, i'd frankly like to see a field to race against. the gdr is imposing enuf that potential riders need encouragement, info about what it really takes/gives back to participate. i'm just keeping the posts prevalent as part of that effort. there's no harm in shaking things up. this is a forum, and as such is often for just that.

not to go back and forth with you on your assertion, but perhaps part of why you view much of my content as negative is b/c you don't always agree. does this make me the contrarian? not necessarily.

regarding my quote you referenced, seems there's been less discussion, exposure on the gdr this year. if i'm going to participate, i'd frankly like to see a field to race against.
    There have been many people that have contacted me privately to tell me that they're "in" they're excited, etc... These people (like many previous GDR racers) don't seem to need/want exposure. They simply want a challenge, for themselves and against themselves. You seem to have a different MO.

the gdr is imposing enuf that potential riders need encouragement, info about what it really takes/gives back to participate. i'm just keeping the posts prevalent as part of that effort. there's no harm in shaking things up. this is a forum, and as such is often for just that.
    The GDR is so imposing that no amount of external encouragement/atta boys/backslapping will make any difference in personal outcomes. You either "have it together" mentally, or you don't, and it varies from person to person, year to year.

not to go back and forth with you on your assertion, but perhaps part of why you view much of my content as negative is b/c you don't always agree. does this make me the contrarian? not necessarily.
    I view your content as negative because it's rarely/never positive. Perhaps you should try out some pro bono race promotion to understand. I'll be there for you when you do.

MC

Enduro Freak
    Not sure about others here, but this seems like more of a "competitive" personal journey than a massive race. Anyways, I look forward to racing against whoever shows up, no matter how big or how small the field is!

Mike, any idea how many people off the forum are racing?
    -Kevin Montgomery

hey mike,
    what's been done with the gdr is good enuf. can races be improved upon without sacrificing an essence? yes.

regarding my quote you referenced, seems there's been less discussion, exposure on the gdr this year. if i'm going to participate, i'd frankly like to see a field to race against. the gdr is imposing enuf that potential riders need encouragement, info about what it really takes/gives back to participate. i'm just keeping the posts prevalent as part of that effort. there's no harm in shaking things up. this is a forum, and as such is often for just that.

mtbr member
    Wish I could make it.
    My understanding is that the feild will be well over three.
    Maybe Mike could give us a number without names. Please!

Really I am that slow

Hope Not a glory hound

I am inb to see if i can pedal `my bike for 20+ days. If i make it or not I am going to trow a 100% at whatever I am doing.

Pats on the back and having people in awe is great but i'm in it for me.... Mabe i'm selfish...

Far too many people don't/won't push them selfs to what they are capable of. Me I have a month off this year and I want to ride through as much as God's green and brown earth as I can...

I'll get off my soap box now...
    Read my BLOG!

flexiflyer

+ 2

Myself (third time's a charm -- mised out and '04 and '05 with a move and a broken elbow respectively) and Rudi Nadler showing up direct drive. I just scouted a dirt route for us to ride from my place in Sandpoint through the Yaak up to Roosville for the start.

mc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    nice mc,
    way to keep the roll ballin'. that yaak road area is gorgeous. you'll be thankful for the warm-up. are you two fixin' it also? it'd be great to get some vignettes going on riders

last year someone was in the clean machine in carrboro, nc selling prints done by rudi as part of a gdr fundraiser. is that still going on/worth mentioning in this thread? I saw the image and it looked like a cool way for a brother to earn his way down the route.

maybe he'll produce one route-inspired post gdr.

mtbr member

?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    If you'd like answers to questions that aren't covered on the site, please post them here, in this thread, and those in the know will answer as time permits.
    MC
    Yo Mike,
    Have been a GDR lurker for several years (& even sent a little pocket change to The Mountain Turtle for support funding last year).
    Question is: Have you ever considered getting Outdoor Life Cable to televise the GDR ?
    And, I am fully, prepared for you to tell me that, of course, you have and here is how come it is not a desireable option at this time.
    At any rate, I have wondered about this for a year and now that I have found this forum > had to ask this question.
    Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by BikePacker
    Yo Mike,
    Have been a GDR lurker for several years (& even sent a little pocket change to The Mountain Turtle for support funding last year).
    Question is: Have you ever considered getting Outdoor Life Cable to televise the GDR ?
    And, I am fully, prepared for you to tell me that, of course, you have and here is how come it is not a desireable option at this time.
    At any rate, I have wondered about this for a year and now that I have found this forum > had to ask this question.
    Fred.
    In some ways it IS desirable, but since the race has no budget it's just not possible. It has been discussed many times, but the only ways that have been found to make it happen require bringing in sponsors to fund it, and I've got too much experience with sponsors and how they change the fundamental nature of everything to want to go that route. The race is, and always will be, aimed at the racers' enjoyment/experience. If, down the road, it becomes possible to get the race some good coverage without intruding on the racers too much, I'll do what I can to make it happen.

Thanks,

MC

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd like to see at least one documentary-style film done in this. Follow a couple of racers through the course. I think it would be cool.

<<JAV>>
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Plus one

Checking in to see who's talking and it seems to be pretty quiet here. Maybe folks aren't looking past Trans Iowa or Kokopelli. 8 weeks till start. Who's racing this year? I'd love to see a roster stirring. Its time to solidify plans. I'm waiting on a bike. If it happens, I think I'm in again. Who else?

Guys?...Gals?
    Okay, looks like i'm in for another rendition. I wouldn't miss the Canadian Prologue either. I'll roll from Banff, AB around noonish June 21st, arriving at First Chance/Last Chance border-bar in Roosville, MT on the eve of the race. If any other riders are planning to do the entire route/warm up with the Canadian section, drop me a line. I'll meet the rest of you at Cafe Jax in Eureka, perhaps, over race-day breakfast. Good luck w/ prep.

ML
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mathewsen; 05-09-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Really I am that slow

Sweet mike...

I look forward to meeting you =)

I wish I had the time to do the prolog
    Read my BLOG!

Enduro Freak
    I still have not decided between the Prolog or taking a flight into Kalispell. I've heard lots of convincing arguments in favor of doing the prolog (cheaper flight, beauty, and it's fairly easy to get the the trailhead). However, does anyone have anything to say in favor for going to Kalispell? Also, if I went to Kalispell, is there any easy way to get to Eureka/Roosville other than riding the 65 miles (I guess that could be my prolog?). Also, has anyone had any problems flying into Canada? I do not have a passport, but I heard that they are not going to require a passport for US Citizens until 2007. Any truth to that?

I plan on buying my ticket within the next week, so anything input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005

either way you win

sizzler' get your tix asap unless you're using a frequent flyer. inside a month tarrifs get steep.

pro-kalispell: if you ride the prologue you miss the race meeting at a whitefish pizza joint the eve of the race. i missed it last year while coming from Banff but its mostly for clarifications/meeting your competitors over beer. the pizza is damn good, but attendance is not necessary to race. whitefish is a cool town. some racers have pooled for shuttle to roosville from whitefish. i have heard that riding hwy 93 from whitefish is asking to be splatted. if you skip the prologue you'll be rested for race day, however, see below ideas on first-week physical adaptation.

pro-prologue: you DONT need a passport to enter CN, however you must have your birth certificate (or maybe a notorized copy). not sure. mail it back home from Banff if using original. a driver's license is all you need to re-enter the US. there's an excellent full-service PO in Banff to rid yourself of any travel necessities b/f setting out. 01/07 is when passsport rule takes effect for CN travel. bikes fly free (generally) from the states. shuttle = 50 canadian to Banff from Calgary international (on the hour departures, 1.5 hr ride). prologue is not super climby, but is mostly loamy dirt (221 mi) so allow 2 riding days to cruise it/enjoy it. until the race evolves to run the entire route, cruising this stretch is a great way to tweak your bike set-up AND reduce the shock to the body that racing straight from Roosville doles out by day 3 or 4. IMO, allowing for some adaptation is key to getting past the guaranteed pain of the first week. as rediculous as riding a century or two sounds to "arrive" at the start of a 2,500 mile race, it actually makes sense. just ask kent peterson. he rode to the start from his home in washington w/ good results.

good luck either way. drop me a line if you'll be in Banff. i'll arriving there 6/19 or 20.

Enduro Freak
    Got myself a ticket for 6/21 for Kalispell to give myself an extra day to acclimate to the elevation etc. If anyone else is going to be in whitefish (or if there is a list already), let me know. I'd like to carpool to the start, if at all possible.
    -Kevin

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

car/van pool

Kevin,

I am scheduled to fly in to Kalispell at about 2pm on the 22nd. I would definitely be up for sharing a ride to the start. Any leads on locating a van for hire and/or a driver?

John

mtbr member
    May 2005

a van was used last year to carry a few

mtbr members krein and basinger who have posted on this thread rented a van last year. i would PM one of them for info. i think it was like $100 or something.

another resource would be the northern MT custodians of the great divide route at glacier cyclery. ask for ron or jan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

NM forests closed?

Mike and all. Some New Mexico friends are telling me the National Forests in NM are closed due to the extreme fire danger. I assume you can still ride through on FS roads but it would be worth checking out. Camping will probably not be allowed (legally), you guys don't really camp but the FS might not see it that way.

Gary in Del Norte

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Open forests

Here I am replying to my own post. I'm in NM visiting family and I've learned the only forests that are closed right now is Cibola and only the Sandia and Manzano district. Everything the on GDR route is open at the moment.

Gary

6/3 GDR Update

Hey everyone-

If you're planning to start the GDR on 6/3 it's important that you send me an email ASAP to mike.curiak at gmail.com with "GDR if you please" in the subject line. A few last minute details need to be addressed, and I need you to contact me for that to happen.

Don't hesitate--do it now.

Also, please re-read all of the rules on the GDR website--a few have been amended to reflect changes for '06.

Thanks,

MC

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

camping/lodging

Mike,

Thanks for the updated information.

Is there any policy regarding whether we are required to camp only, or is an occasional, non-prearranged motel stay (and hot shower) allowed?

thanks

Enduro Freak
    I know in the past, GDR updates were posted on blogs. What is the address of this year's update blog, or will it be posted on the main site?

Team Velveeta™

greatdividerace.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sizlinseagulsoup
    I know in the past, GDR updates were posted on blogs. What is the address of this year's update blog, or will it be posted on the main site?
    As last year, the updates will be posted to http://greatdividerace.blogspot.com/

A change this year is that racers will be able to very quickly send in updates by calling an 800 number and just telling their stories (thanks to http://www.mtbcast.com!). I will be transcribing those voice messages into the blog at blogspot dot com. Should have updates happening several times daily, to the extent that my life allows that.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Really I am that slow

Thanks tom!

My folks and others well be happy to have that to see. Thanks for the time spent on that
    Read my BLOG!

Really I am that slow

My bus arivies in Whitefish

At about 11:30am on wends....

Just gonna take my time and ride to the start =)
    Read my BLOG!

Enduro Freak
    Since the pre-race meeting in Whitefish is cancelled, I'm going to be riding to the start as well. Are you riding teh GDRoute or are you taking the highway?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Be careful of rubbernecking tourists if you take hwy 93! The GDR route is pretty out of the way from Whitefish to Roosville with quite a bit of climbing, but then again I suggest everyone ride from Canada so I can't really advise you not to take the route. It shore is perty through there.

FYI, if you're going to stay in Eureka (I recommend this cuz the most rockin' last supper (breakfast) is there at Cafe Jax), the cheapest hotel is called the Ksanka (406)297-3127. Its not so cheap at 50 bones and things book up often so get a reservation. All services near the border are costly. Eureka is about 7mi south of the border on hwy 93. There is one campground too, 2 miles from the border on 93. Its called Blue Mtn RV and Camp. They never book up. I'll be in rm. 13 at the Ksanka cleaning up from the Prologue. Come by for a beer.

Travel Safe!
    Matthew Lee

just a guy with a bike
    Last year I stealth camped in the park on the south edge of Eureka the night before the GDR. There's a decent QuikieMart type of place right near there and I totally second Matthew's suggestion of Cafe Jax for breakfast. You can backtrack up the route via the airport road to the First/Last Chance after loading up with a good breakfast.

I wish all you dudes the best of adventures.

Hasten slowly, everybody. It's a great trip.

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson

Really I am that slow

Thanks for the info as always

Kent you da man thanks for sharing! Mat thanks!
    Read my BLOG!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by sizlinseagulsoup
    Since the pre-race meeting in Whitefish is cancelled, I'm going to be riding to the start as well. Are you riding teh GDRoute or are you taking the highway?
    Prob just the hwy... a nice spin up there =)
    Read my BLOG!

Cycling, FTW!!

Racers, I hope you like hippies

Word is spreading that the Rainbow Family's national gathering will be held in Big Red Park, in Northwest Colorado. Although the gathering is scheduled for the first week of July, Steamboat Springs is already filling up with family members on their way to the gathering.

By the time GDR participants pass across the Wyoming border into Colorado, they should expect to see somewhere around 15-20 THOUSAND naked hippies jammin' out in drum circles.

Family members suggest that you should bring some "shiny rocks" for bartering items such as food, drinks, etc...

The main event, "the prayer for peace" will be taking place at noon on the 4th of July. Im sure it will be hard to miss if you’re in the area.

Good luck to everyone with your last minute preparations, I will be looking for ya'all around Steamboat Springs.

FYI, Wheels bike shop in Steamboat is the best repair shop in northern Colorado. Chris will crank out any repair in a matter of minutes. Not to mention that it is located a few blocks off the intersection of CO 129 and US 40. Feel free to give Chris a call on your way through town at 970-846-RIDE

Grizzly
    Good luck everyone! Be safe, and have a great adventure.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Enduro Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    By the time GDR participants pass across the Wyoming border into Colorado, they should expect to see somewhere around 15-20 THOUSAND naked hippies jammin' out in drum circles.
    This race keeps getting better and better

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kentsbike
    I wish all you dudes the best of adventures...Hasten slowly, everybody. It's a great trip...Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
    Kent's right. I have a feeling the route's natural, cultural resources will have their usual command over riders again this year.

The greatest challenge for me in truly TTing the route is, indeed, riding by all of this. It's in passing on the experiences with locals, missing the "bear stories" told on the front porch of the town mercantile over Mountain Dews, declining beers or the 20 oz burger you don't pay for if you eat it all, not stopping at interpretive kisoks, not watching the sunrise/sunset from a static position in the dirt. Yep, being an appalachian boy, not experiencing/living the vestiges of "The code of the West" on this pilgrimage pains me as much as the 3hr climbs. Racing the route as fast as one can might be the greatest sacrifice.

"Get it while you can" -Janice Joplin

Enduro Freak
    Kent's right. I have a feeling the route's natural, cultural resources will have their usual command over riders again this year.

The greatest challenge for me in truly TTing the route is, indeed, riding by all of this. It's in passing on the experiences with locals, missing the "bear stories" told on the front porch of the town mercantile over Mountain Dews, declining beers or the 20 oz burger you don't pay for if you eat it all, not stopping at interpretive kisoks, not watching the sunrise/sunset from a static position in the dirt. Yep, being an appalachian boy, not experiencing/living the vestiges of "The code of the West" on this pilgrimage pains me as much as the 3hr climbs. Racing the route as fast as one can might be the greatest sacrifice.

"Get it while you can" -Janice Joplin
    I know that feeling. I've never been out west before, and having only left New England for only a handful of days, I really want to see other parts of the country (world). Covering 2500 miles in ~20 days seems like a sin, but I can't imagine I could have convinced myself to do it in any other setting.

That said, racing by all these wonders is better than not seeing them at all. And I can't wait to be out there.

Enduro Freak
    One of the alternate routes (that we are not permitted to take) is a stone throw from the festival... here's a map of how to get to the festival: http://www.welcomehome.org/rainbow/s.../co2006map.jpg

If you look at section 3, map 2, an alternate route is really close, however the main route is probably 12 miles away. I guess that forgos a free dinner/an amazing spectacle

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow! The race is upon us! For those wondering how MTBCast works:
    A podcast is sort of like a radio show, only in MP3 format. RSS is a syndication method allowing you to “subscribe” to shows and have them delivered to your RSS application when new shows are ready; iTunes is a good example of an RSS app and is a great way to get the show and other podcasts featured on Apple’s directory. When you visit MTBCast.com there's an RSS link on the right where you can go to as well as an iTunes link that will auto-subscribe you if you already have iTunes.

During the GDR, the podcast will cover the vmail recordings and I will have comment on the race as it progresses.

I would very much like to talk to some of you for the show.
    Kent, Mike, and others who have ridden the route and anyone who is interested in sitting in on a discussion as the race progresses. I have the ability to record the discussion and put it in the show. Send me an email at joe_dot_polk_at_mtbcast_dot_com.

Good luck to all the riders and be careful out there!

JP
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Nice Joe...

Way to giterdun. I'll try to give you a shout each day I'm riding the Canadian Prologue from Banff to meet the field at the start. The idea of the talking heads pontificating on the race sounds great.

Speaking of armchair discussion, I'm audioblogging my way down the route this year at www.tourdivide.blogspot.com. Tune in for photos and a little background info on the various stages (days) of the race.

Cheers from Banff, Alberta

Matthew Lee

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mike,

Just want to let someone (everyone) know that my flight to Kalispell today was cancelled, and because of that I will not get out there until tomorrow afternoon. So I probably won't be starting until 24 hours after the official start of the race.

John N

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

good luck

john,

you will catch up with them! good luck to all racers

-- granite

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good luck, John! Ride hard and be safe!
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    David Nice had his bike stolen while he slept!
    http://cellarrat.blogspot.com/

David don't quit. I called you with Kent Peterson's numbers and you have my number. We can get you back on the road somehow!!!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Agreed. Does anyone have a way to reach him?
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0