some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008

New question here. Frame shopping.....

Ok I am shopping for a frame to ride as an endurance bike. I have a number of endruance races/rides that I am looking to complete this year and my currenty bike is just not going to cut it for a number of reason. I have also decided that it is just tooo much bike for my riding style. I use to ride bigger bikes and the bigger lines to go with them. As I have gotten older (only 30 years old) I have gained much more interest in longer rides.

I have owned a number of XC bikes in the past but have committed myself to being a one mtn bike person. the XC bike that I have owned and liked are the Tomac Carbid (90mm travel) and a Voodoo Wazoo (hardtail). the thing I really liked about the Tomac was if really felt like every bit of effort I put in meant something, even out of the saddle. Also when your butt of in the saddle you could really tell that the rear suspension was working.

All this bring said I am 6'5" tall and am not a skinny fellow. here are a few of the frames that I'm looking at:

Santacruz tallboys (tallboyc) <-- just a bit woried if they are plush enough not to beat me up in the long run. that is my major complaint with my current nomad, it feels a bit harsher than I expect. Also I can get a really good deal on one now.

Santacruz Superlight 29" <-- probably plush because of the high single pivot but also probably a bit flexy at my size. same geo as the tallboy but no XXL option.

Salsa Spearfish <-- a bit worried about only 80mm of travel and maybe the over all strengh of the frame, though haven't read about many breaking. <-- also reliativily cheap

I have also looked into the Niner Jet line but have not fully researched that option. <-- a bit more expensive but I'm interested none the less.

Basially I really want a bike that doesn't kill you too much but still pedals well out of the saddle. weight is not a huge deal to me (260 lbs myself, but on my way down to 230 lbs)

I have the rest of the parts so not really interested in a complete bike.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Now broadcasting from CO
    I would also consider a Kona Hei-Hei 29 and a Pivot Mach 429. The 429 is said to be super plush and was designed with an emphasis on chassis stiffness over low weight. The Kona would be good too. I have a friend who's about your size, rides one, and loves it. They're also relatively inexpensive. If you want something plush, the Spearfish might be out. It's said to be a very "XC firm" suspension.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Your Best Friend
    Giant sells the Anthem X29er as a frame, both aluminum and carbon. It comes in an XL as well. I'd recommend sticking with a dual short link rear suspension design specifically for the inherent stiffness and also for the ability of the suspension to do everything on your list of wants. Good luck in the search.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At your size, I would agree with PAmtb that the 429 aluminum belongs on your short list.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Cars Are Evil
    I'm 6'4" 210 and love my Giant Anthem. Maestro works really well all-around.

mtbr member
    There are several places that have the previous model version of the Niner Jet 9 RDO (carbon) on closeout right now. The major difference between the latest model and the closeout is the closeout models use a standard 9mm QR skewer and the latest version uses a 142x12 maxle. At your height you'd be in the range of an XL frame. Several online retailers are still showing availability at the closeout prices.