Fool's Gold bunk houses

Printable View

• 06-09-2008
    brownieinSC
    Fool's Gold bunk houses
    So I think I am doing the 50 mile ride at Fool's Gold. What is the bunk house situation like? Is it 10 people sharing a room? bathroom on the building or at a seperate location? Any female point of views on this for me?
    I don't know if any of the guys I normally ride with (including my husband) are going to race or not so I am trying to figure out what to do for lodging
  • 06-10-2008
    extrmtao
    I am surprised Eddie or Nam didn't jump on this but I will give you my impression since I stayed there last year.

They are what you would expect at a summer camp. Small four walled cabins/structures with metal bunk beds. There is a mattress but you need to bring some sheets and so forth.

They are not Air conditioned so bring an extra fan and make sure you can grap a bunk by a window where you can stick the fan for the evening. They do have electricity running so you can plug in more fans.

With that being said, both K and I slept in them last year and we slept well.
  • 06-10-2008
    brownieinSC
    Thanks Mater! I saw where you did it last year. If you can do the 50 then I am hoping to just survive the course :D
    Did you have a hard time following the course directions? I'm a little worried about getting delerious after mile thirty, taking a wrong turn and then hearing a banjo in the woods (I actually like the banjo music yet always envision it as what scary people in the woods would be playing)
  • 06-10-2008
    Darkwing Duck
    The course is marked well. You shouldn't have any problems. As for the banjo music, some of those guys play really well and those people aren't as scary as i thought they might be. We still keep in touch..um.....so to speak. :D
  • 06-10-2008
    extrmtao
    Just like the duckster said, the course was easy to follow. Now hydration is another animal all together.
  • 06-10-2008
    allan8147
    Mater is right. Course is very well marked, but take 1 more bottle than you think you might need. If it's anything like last year it'll be damn near 100 degrees.
  • 06-10-2008
    brownieinSC
    This will be my first time doing this type of length and elevation gain. I have never had to fix a SAG bag or have any clue what to put in it. I figured I would take my 100oz camelbak so I can have two spare tubes (I should be tubeless by then but I figured better safe), plenty of CO2 and some food/gels on me at all time. I have a crazy metabolism and if I get hungry it is too late ~ I will bonk. I really don't know what I am in for
  • 06-11-2008
    Eddie O
    Sorry I'm late to the thread....

Here is a pic of the outside:
    http://wahsega4h.org/photos/wahsega-005.jpg

...and the inside of the bunk houses:
    http://wahsega4h.org/photos/wahsega-011.jpg

We are going to reserve on bunk house for the single/traveling alone ladies, so one does not have to feel uncomfortable sleeping in a room full of strange men...unless of course you are a man.

The bathrooms are in separate buildings and there is separate boys and girls facilities. There is electricity in each bunk & bath. Air conditions may be utilized, but we are not responsible....

$100 gets you a bed, food all weekend, beverages, bands, and all the other festival amenities at the start/finish venue (so no driving and spending even more money on gas!) SORBA has partnered with us to provide a full weekend of activities whether or not you are racing, so bring a friend or 5.

The SAGs will be fully stocked with sports drinks, water, a best effort for ice and food. You will be allowed drop bags as well. It will be hot, this is GA in Aug after all, so prepare accordingly.
  • 06-12-2008
    brownieinSC
    Thanks for the information Eddie. I am waiting to see if I have a babysitter for at least Friday night before I register. I have a few more questions but I'll ask after I get that straightened out.
    I have to admit I was a little concerned about the first come first serve for the bunk house ~ sleeping with a lot of strange men might have concerned my husband too ;)
  • 06-12-2008
    teamdicky
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie O
    Sorry I'm late to the thread....

We are going to reserve on bunk house for the single/traveling alone ladies...

I'm thinking we need to add a pillow fight to the Fool's Gold schedule.

http://images.inmagine.com/img/denko.../dki004091.jpg
  • 06-12-2008
    brownieinSC
    That could be the highlight that would get Will off the fence and at the race