XXIX

First timed Endurance race advice

Im entering my first 6hr race in a few weeks. Anyone have tips, tricks or advice. I raced a 50 mile race last year and did ok I just needed a better fuel and hydration plan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Get used to being on the bike for long periods of time. I've noticed in the multiple lap (i.e. 6 hour) races that I've done, I've gotten quite a bit more beaten up than from the 100's I've done (even though the final distance was relatively the same). My guess is that in the 6 hour format you're hitting much more single track than what you'd see in 50's and 100's. Getting used to and training on as much single track as possible should prepare you well for what you'll see in your upcoming event.
    Also, as you stated, nutrition and hydration are paramount. My wife and I use Infinit nutrition exclusively for 6 hr races, 100 milers, 50 milers, and stage races. If you haven't tried it, I'd suggest giving it a go. It's super simple as you're only having to think about drinking a bottle-not about taking in separate gels, pills, blocks, etc. It's customizable and basically fool proof. We've been using it for years and have not one complaint. I'd definitely suggest looking into it and trying it if it agrees with your body.

That's my .02…Good Luck!

XXIX
    Thanks Pike. I just got some Tailwind a few weeks ago and really like it. I just need to practice fluid intake at regular intervals during long rides. The course is 75% singletrack 25% service road. Im not expecting a lot finish wise i just want to see what I have inside and if this is my thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah no worries. Just have a blast and see what it's all about. It's a unique type of racing that really suits some people. It's not my favorite, but I will say that it's great for spectators and seeing all your friends and family cheering for you every lap is pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    Yeah no worries. Just have a blast and see what it's all about. It's a unique type of racing that really suits some people. It's not my favorite, but I will say that it's great for spectators and seeing all your friends and family cheering for you every lap is pretty cool.
    This is one of my favorite parts of a lap format race! it amazing to get that support as well as giving that support to fellow riders and friends who are racing.

I also find that the lap format makes for an easy way to gage your water and nutrition. take some time plan it out how many bottles you want a lap depending on how much time a lap will take and how much you need to eat on those laps. you know exactly where the road sections are so it makes it easier to figure out where you can get a hand off of the bars to eat if your planing on not stopping. if you do plan to stop make sure you have a nice comfy pit area, get your nutrition there and stock up on water and nutrition before you go out on the next lap.

I am going the opposite way this year, I have done lots of 8 and 5 hour races but this year is going to by my first stage race and I am not sure what to expect for brining food with me and how much water. I am also not sure exactly how the feed stations work either, so I am a little nervous about that.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

XXIX
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    I also find that the lap format makes for an easy way to gage your water and nutrition. take some time plan it out how many bottles you want a lap depending on how much time a lap will take and how much you need to eat on those laps. you know exactly where the road sections are so it makes it easier to figure out where you can get a hand off of the bars to eat if your planing on not stopping. if you do plan to stop make sure you have a nice comfy pit area, get your nutrition there and stock up on water and nutrition before you go out on the next lap.

I am going the opposite way this year, I have done lots of 8 and 5 hour races but this year is going to by my first stage race and I am not sure what to expect for brining food with me and how much water. I am also not sure exactly how the feed stations work either, so I am a little nervous about that.
    This is part of the fun getting the prep work in and the adventure of the unknown.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Tailwind worked great for my last 6'er. Took 4th overall. I also supplemented with a double espresso clifshot about 4 hours in when I was feeling a bit tired. Perked me and my lap times right back up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    Thanks Pike. I just got some Tailwind a few weeks ago and really like it. I just need to practice fluid intake at regular intervals during long rides. The course is 75% singletrack 25% service road. Im not expecting a lot finish wise i just want to see what I have inside and if this is my thing.
    I like Tailwind too. It was I think one of the major contributors to a strong season for me in 13.

A trick for establishing the habit of eating and drinking often enough: get a cheap watch that can beep at a given interval. Set it to beep at 10 or 15 minute intervals. When it beeps, hit the fluid or calorie dispensing device of your choice.

After a while it will become second nature.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Start slow and then taper off.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis