Thread: first 100 miler

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

first 100 miler

Let me start off by saying I am not a racer nor have I ever trained to race, been mtbing for about 20 years and I have decided I want to do a 100 miler. The one I want is some what local and its in August so I have time to train. Now comes the question HOW the hell do I do that, do I need a road bike? I have done some reading about 12 weeks prior to race to start riding but not sure how far how many times a week off road on road. The race is all off road, no pavement at all and only 800 meters of gravel road the rest is single to double track, 53 km loop and I need three laps I am not sure about training on a road bike as I want to get used to pedalling big tires for the duration plus I hate road bikes, I was thinking of tossing some slicks on my 26" MTB for any road work that I may need. I mean if I need a road bike I can bite the bullet and get one if it means doing well in the race. I am 47 and pretty fit but riding for 100 miles does worry me, I am a clydesdale as well so I am hoping to drop 20 plus pounds for this ride to help. I need your help!
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i'd concentrate on surviving the first one. especially if you don't have a background in racing.

my strategy is simple, go ride whatever bike you have as often as possible and try to get to where a 50-60 mile mountainbike ride feels pretty good. or get into a specific training program i have no experience there but i'd love to try it sometime.

even with my simple strategy i finished all 3 of 3 hundreds i tried on a rigid singlespeed. never close to competitive though... at this distance for me it is more about survival but i am sure with more fitness and training i could be much better.

i guess what i am trying to say is trying to "race" the first one may be putting too much pressure on yourself. for my first (and second and third really) i just concentrated on finishing and then used the experience to see what i could work on in the future. plenty of time to get fast if you find you like this sort of thing but if you burn yourself out and over think your fist one you may end up DNF which IMHO is less satisfying than finishing even if your at the back of the pack.

and who the hell knows you may (and hopefully will) surprise yourself.

i'll never forget trying to break 12 hours in my second 100 ever (wilderness 101). At the final rest stop i realized it would be close but it was possible. stopped for about 10 seconds, gulped down all the coke my stomach would take, and got an awesome endorphin rush through my dead and beaten legs for the last 5 miles or so; probably rode that last stretch faster than any other part of the race. i succeeded; made it in at 11:59:46. slow as hell for some, but for me it was the highlight of my summer. went on to slightly faster shenendoah later that season.

then i had kids and it all went to hell

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah my plan was to finish, I have no intentions of trying to be in the top 10 lol. I did a 100 miler last year but it was over 2 days and it was a road course. I did it each way in about 3.5 hours on my MTB and I stopped at each rest station for some fruit and Gatorade. I felt good at the end of both rides but I am pretty sure if I had to ride back the same day I would have bonked or been really slow. I do plan on training for this one. Its in August so I have time to plan. Been reading some stuff on the net for training but most I have found is for road training. I want to train in the woods where I will be spending about 6-8 hours LOL I hope. I have faith in my legs but my back is my main concern, after a 30 mile ride my back is usually borked. I hope the longer rides tough'n it up.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Having a road bike can be nice for some workouts and a change of pace but you don't need one for training.

For Training I recommend doing one long ride a week with four to five 1-2hr rides durning the week.
    Example:
    Mon-Tempo Intervals start with something like 2 X 10min and as your training goes up do more and longer intervals. This is the one workout that is easier to do on the road since you have less interruptions.
    Tues-1-2hr Easy spin
    Wed-Rest
    Thurs-2hr Medium intensity mountain ride
    Fri-Rest or strength training
    Sat-long ride start with 3hr and keep making this ride longer until about 2weeks before the race.
    Sun- Easy spin

I've always had a bad back and 90% of my spine is now fused with titanium rods. The key to beating back pain on the bike is making sure you have a proper fit and core strength. Start strengthening your core now with push ups, planks, kettle bell swings and pull ups. Try to work in at least some of these throughout your training and you should notice less back pain.

Race day just try to have fun and don't chase anyone off the start. Also try to minimize time spent at Aid stations get some food, stretch a little and get back to peddling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hours of the bike are key.

Consider trying a prebuilt training plan like something from LW Coaching - Mountain Bike Training and Racing She has a plan designed for finishing your first 100 mile race. Even if you don't follow it exactly it will give you a much better guide then the myraid of opinions you are going to get from forums.

My advice would be link together long rides on consequtive days. and extend the rides week after week until you are riding about half the 100 mile time on the last day. IE (Mon 2 hours, Tue 2.5 Hours, Wed 3 Hours, Thur Rest, Fri Rest Sat easy spin 1 hr, Sun 2.5 Hours, Mon 3 Hours, Tue 3.5 Hours etc etc etc). This strategy has work well for me in getting ready for 12 hour races.

The biggest key to finishing a 100 mile ride is nutrition. You need to workout what foods and liquids you can handle in training. You need to be able to get 400 + calories per hour in for the whole race so find a way to make that happen get into the habit of eating while riding in training. Waiting for the aid stations and then throwing down a buch of cookies before hopping on the bike and going hard again is a recipe for stomach pain, a bonk and and DNF. Eat early and often.
    Last edited by Pedalfaraway; 03-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post

The biggest key to finishing a 100 mile ride is nutrition. You need to workout what foods and liquids you can handle in training. You need to be able to get 400 + calories per hour in for the whole race so find a way to make that happen get into the habit of eating while riding in training. Waiting for the aid stations and then throwing down a bunch of cookies before hopping on the bike and going hard again is a recipe for stomach pain, a bonk and and DNF. Early early and often.

/\ This cannot be stressed enough. Use a timer if you have to but remember to keep your nutrition and hydration on par, if you get behind you're going to be lucky to finish much less do well. 300/400 calories and 1 bottle an hour are good targets to start. Get it sorted out long before the event.

mtbr member
    i'd concentrate on surviving the first one. especially if you don't have a background in racing. Great Advice !!!!

Truly "Time on the Bike" is key. If you don't have a base that will allow you to function on your mountain bike for 8 to 12 hours even if the rest of your race plan is perfect you won't get the result you want.

That base can be built on your mountain bike although the maintenance and time costs will be higher...My experience is training miles on the road are a bit cheaper and can be done in less time.

So build a solid base, figure out what works for you in terms of nutrition and hydration, taper the week leading up to it.......Give your sweetheart a kiss and say goodby for 8-12 hours.... while your gone eat when your not hungry and drink when your not thirsty. Happy Trails
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!