Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Human Test Subject

Favorite all day saddles?

I'm looking for a good all day saddle for my Moonlander that isn't a Brooks. I don't want to deal with worrying about water or snow on leather. Was originally thinking of a Fizik Gobi or a Specialized Phenom, but want to get other peoples opinions first. Anyone have any favorites? I'm 6' 175 and willing to mail out pictures and molds of my ass if it helps with suggestions.

conjoinicorned
    I ride Koobi enduro saddles, and I won't be switching soon (or ever)

Saddles are preference and genetics but a few riding bros have gotten into them as well, and mine have been very durable (several years on AM bikes) and they are perfect long haul saddles. No issues over several years of winter riding and commuting.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What happens when you get a Brooks wet? Mine is on my roof rack and it has been raining on and off all day.... ?? Is it screwed?

I'm with stupid
    SDG Bel-Air. They take a bit to break in but after they do it replaced my Fizik Gobi for all day butt comfort.

Human Test Subject
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon100 View Post
    What happens when you get a Brooks wet? Mine is on my roof rack and it has been raining on and off all day.... ?? Is it screwed?
    It should be ok if you let it dry before riding it. If you get on it when it's wet it may stretch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Bought the Phenom and hate it....didn't work for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Henge is a better all-day saddle than the Phenom, IMO. In the world of Specialized, the Alias was/is my favorite, but it has been phased out.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I went to a store that carried Specialized and got my distance between my ischial tuberosities measured. I purchased a saddle and was told, if you bring it back in "new" condition and don't like it, we'll let you exchange it. I tried a couple and found one that was perfect for me. I have identical saddles on my two mountain bikes, and CX bike. There is another Spechy saddle that is almost identical to that type that is on my two road bikes and track bike. I really didn't want to purchase any Specialized products, but it was the best way for me to try a bunch of different saddles and not waste any money. I also really like the Specialized shoes, as they just seem to fit my feet perfectly.

Cumbria, England.
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    I went to a store that carried Specialized and got my distance between my ischial tuberosities measured. I purchased a saddle and was told, if you bring it back in "new" condition and don't like it, we'll let you exchange it. I tried a couple and found one that was perfect for me. I have identical saddles on my two mountain bikes, and CX bike. There is another Spechy saddle that is almost identical to that type that is on my two road bikes and track bike. I really didn't want to purchase any Specialized products, but it was the best way for me to try a bunch of different saddles and not waste any money. I also really like the Specialized shoes, as they just seem to fit my feet perfectly.
    +1.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

informant
    I'm sold on the WTB Speed V. It's nothing fancy, but it's got a large surface area with plenty of cushion for those all-day rides. The Laser V has a racy-er look and feel, but it's a little too small for rides over 4 hours...at least that's my opinion.
    Quality bike lights for after-dark trail adventurers.
    www.LuminTrek.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Brooks B17.

I rode a Brooks B17 from Boston to Key West on a loaded touring bike.

I ride a Brooks B17 on my gravel racing / endurance road rig.

I have a Brooks B17 on my commuter/city bike, for riding around town in my street clothes.

The other mtbs and road bikes get fizik or some other fancy plastic saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had great luck with the WTB Silverado. It's flat side to side and front to back, and quite firm, so it doesn't wedge it's way in like the Rocket V. I've been happy with the SST as well, as it's also flat side to side and doesn't snag shorts.

If you're considering a leather saddle but want waterproof, you might also check out Selle Anatomica, since they use a supposedly waterproof leather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shakatak View Post
    Bought the Phenom and hate it....didn't work for me.
    I don't hate the Phenom, but I'm a big fan of the Romin saddle.

That being said, I currently am running the Ergon SM3 Pro saddle. Really digging it so far. While I probably don't do "all day" like a lot of the riders on this forum, I did use it successfully at the Whiskey Off-Road 50 (which is about as long as I'll race all year) and dug it. It's been great in racing and training.

The channel creates a really nice sweet spot for not having pressure, and it's been awesome to hover over (like the back paddle area is just perfectly shaped and contoured) for both steep out of the saddle climbing off/on saddle, as well as techy descending.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    I ride Koobi enduro saddles, and I won't be switching soon (or ever)

Saddles are preference and genetics but a few riding bros have gotten into them as well, and mine have been very durable (several years on AM bikes) and they are perfect long haul saddles. No issues over several years of winter riding and commuting.

Word...

First tried a Koobi in 1997.

Have not had another saddle since...all of my bikes have them.

mtbr member

Koobi

I have a Koobi Alpha PRS on all of my bikes, love them!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Timely post, since my ass has been rubbed raw lately. This week I rode on a WTB Silverado and a Rocket V and a san Marco caymano billentia-something or other. The WTBs put too much weight on my sit bones and caused skin abrasion there. It was getting bad til I stole the caymano off a friends bike. It distributes the weight more evenly which is working well for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    maybe I am the odd man out, but I have 3 different saddles on 3 different bikes. They don't really seem to make much of a difference. They all work. One is a low end WTB, and the other two I have no idea, but they are hard. As long as they are hard enough they seem to work. too much padding makes problems over hours and hours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have Specialized Phenoms on my 3 race rigs and they fit very well over the long haul.....as in "zero issues" over a solo 24. To each their own on this subject as we are all built differently......

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i run ISM peak, no problems here

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    maybe I am the odd man out, but I have 3 different saddles on 3 different bikes. They don't really seem to make much of a difference. They all work. One is a low end WTB, and the other two I have no idea, but they are hard. As long as they are hard enough they seem to work. too much padding makes problems over hours and hours.
    speaking of hard and rideable

I just put a charge spoon on one of my bikes a couple weeks ago and it feels great for hours. Very firm, relatively light weight, synthetic leather, clean look, and best of all it's pretty cheap for the cromo version. Can be had with Ti rails for weight weenies with bigger wallets though.

Human Test Subject
    I ordered a Koobi PRS Omega. The Endura was listed as medium firmness and I'm kinda partial to firm saddles. I like Koobi's return policy to try their stuff out. We'll see how it goes when it arrives Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used a Brooks B17 Special on my Fargo for a 2 week 750+ mi tour. Zero issues. In fact I ended up just wearing nike compression shorts for the last 10 days of the trip and shipped my bike shorts home. For me it's an absurdly comfortable saddle. Problem is -- it's heavy, it's ugly -- and doesn't hold up well in wet conditions.

On my mtb bike I run a phenom 143 but have a couple hours start to get numbness in my feet. No good, but it's comfy on my rear.

I also run a Toupe 143 on my CX bike and find it pretty adequate but I have to wear bike shorts. Did a 75 mile ride last week with no problems.

Give a WTB silverado a shot. It's narrower, got a little padding and has a flat top. I find it pretty comfy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fizik Gobi all the way. 24 hour race saddle of choice and no saddle sores from it yet.

Human Test Subject
    I did a 4 hour ride(kinda) today and no issues with the Koobi. I say it was a ride(kinda) because the MN River Bottoms were flooded and I had to wade through waist-chest deep water. So I guess there was probably only about 3.5 hours of actual saddle time, but it was a great 3.5 hours.

mtbr member
    Specialized Henge for me. Was riding a Phenom, but found it to not be comfortable after 3 or 4 hours. The Henge has been comfortable all day for multi-day rides.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast