mtbr member

Express Oil drove my rig into their garage!!!

I was headed to a race, and I had my bike on the roof of our CR-V. I pulled the car and bike in...they pulled the car, the bike and part of their garage out!!!

My carbon NRS was banged pretty damn hard. Fork is broken, handlebars fractured, stem scratched, gear indicators trashed and brakes are messed up.

I have my pick of any bike under $7500 and I don't know what to do...

Titus Racer-x ExoGrid (26 or 29)
    Merlin Works 4.0 (26)
    C-dale Scalpel Team (26)
    Moots XZ (29)

I can't find any good serious ride reports of the Scalpel or Moots. Plenty of people have posted how light they can get their Scalpel or why they don't like the color, but I can't seem to find good ride reports, suspension descriptions or dislikes. I am riding a Merlin tomorrow and rode a Racer-X a couple of weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Truffle Shuffle

Cycling, FTW!!

Rip- Nrs.

Soooo, I take it you didn't make it to your race? Sorry to hear about the bike but at least you weren't the one who wrecked it.

Since you are considering the Moots XZ, I just wanted to suggest that you talk to Kent Eriksen and see if you like any of the rear suspension set-ups he uses on his custom 29ers.

He has also done a few (or a lot, by now) 26ers w/ a YETI carbon swingarm. One of the sweetest bikes I have ever seen, and it sound like you have the $ to work with.

There are a few good pics of Kents bikes in this thread. and you can also check out the bikes on Kent Eriksen's webpage.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

wants a taco
    my manager at our shop just bought a yeti carbon and all of us that have ridden it agree that that bike is a serious unfair advantage...even compared to a well built alloy asr.

Bikeoholic
    Wow man, bad luck but then again good luck too....

if it were me I'd get a 29er and probably a custom one. Maybe a black sheep!!

Good luck man you are in a great position to find a new bike to love.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

mtbr member
    I really can't seem to take my eyes off the Moots XZ. I don't know why? I called the LBS about the Team Scalpel and they can't get one until the end of July. I should know how long the wait will be for the Moots in just a bit.

I rode the Merlin today, and it was really nice. I could fly on the downhills compared to the NRS. The rear was stiffer, smoother and tracked better. Climbing was a different thing. Much slower. I think its gonna keep me from the Merlin but I'd like to ride it again with a few more PSI in the shocks. I did bottom out the rear once on a fairly small drop so that might change things for me.
    Truffle Shuffle

wants a taco
    tell me this isnt the sexiest bike around...

mtbr member
    Nooooo!.........Toooooo Sexy!
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Nice ride...The biggest problem with the Yeti is the fact that there is no local dealer, ie no test ride.

How does the Yeti ride compared to the Racer-X (the susp. design looks similar)? How much travel?
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    If I were to purchase a 29" hardtail or SS frame I would have to get a Lynskey or Privateer. I live in Chattanooga and would have the opportunity to visit the shops and talk with either of the builders first hand.

I want a FS 29er if I decide to go with big wheels. The only suspension designs that I like are the Turner Sultan, Moots XZ and Titus Racer-X. I am leaning toward the Moots even though the Exogrid Titus is VERY TEMPTING.
    Truffle Shuffle

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    Nice ride...The biggest problem with the Yeti is the fact that there is no local dealer, ie no test ride.

How does the Yeti ride compared to the Racer-X (the susp. design looks similar)? How much travel?
    The yeti is a 4 in. travel bike but it feels much deeper than that. Its super stiff latterally ie: climbs standing like a hardtail but is still a pretty active and comfortable travel. I rode an NRS for a number of years and loved it but once i got on a more active travel i was in heaven. Unfortunatly that bikes not mine, yeti is out of my price range, that is actually one of our customers.

If you want a pretty good in depth review of the asr carbon used2bhard did a pretty good write up here: The ASR-C!

Never ridden the racer-x, i just know that of the 5 employees in our shop 4 of them are on asr-s and we can get titus...to me that says something

Hope this doesnt sound out of place but i didnt know you were from chattanooga, not sure if you ever come through knoxville but i work at harpers in knoxville and one of our managers owns a large asr carbon that is usually down there if you happen to be passing through and wanna check it out.

mtbr member
    Well...thanks for adding more bikes to the list I planned on narrowing. I can't throw the Merlin out just yet. I picked up a C-dale Scalpel this afternoon, and I think its gonna be to harsh for my liking (I have already taken it off the list). I have some back issues if I ride something like that for more than 2 hours. I am going to take it for a spin in the morning though.

Here is the list of maybe's...
    Moots XZ
    Merlins Works 4.0
    Titus Exogrid (i'll probably do the 29er if I go the Titus route)
    Yeti ASR Carbon
    Scott Scale 10

I think all of these would make great all around mtn bikes suitable for XC and endurance racing.
    Truffle Shuffle

The Wheel's Turning

True that "Marko"!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    Soooo, I take it you didn't make it to your race? Sorry to hear about the bike but at least you weren't the one who wrecked it.

Since you are considering the Moots XZ, I just wanted to suggest that you talk to Kent Eriksen and see if you like any of the rear suspension set-ups he uses on his custom 29ers.

He has also done a few (or a lot, by now) 26ers w/ a YETI carbon swingarm. One of the sweetest bikes I have ever seen, and it sound like you have the $ to work with.

There are a few good pics of Kents bikes in this thread. and you can also check out the bikes on Kent Eriksen's webpage.
    I wouldn't even consider a moots, at this point, when you have K.E. He's the man...Unfortunately all I can do is dream about his sexy steeds!
    Chance favors those in motion...

mtbr member
    I want 26in Eriksen with the Yeti rear!!! BUT... here's the deal.

I have all the parts to build a 26in race bike minus the frame. That has me leaning toward a 29in bike that the insurance company is going to purchase for me. I'll save for a while and get the Eriksen (or Merlin, I still can't get over how fast that bike could descend) frame and have two very nice bikes.

How do you think the ride quality will differ between the Moots XZ and the Eriksen with a Ventana rear? The designs look very similar, so I imagine they will ride about the same.
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you don't mind the drive up to Murfreesboro, then you could check out MOAB. They sell the Yeti's as well as the Titus and a number of other brands. If you call them ask for Mark, he is the shop owner and a heck of a bike guy.

mtbr member
    I wish I could have found a good shop owner. I tried. I bought online, and I have never been happier!!! wrenchscience.com has been awesome thus far!

I talked with several shops around the area and none of them even called back or replied to my emails. The only places that offered a hand were Wrench Science (I highly recommend talking to Avi), Universal Cycles and Kent Eriksen's shop.

All of the LBS's I talked with blew me off, and I sent a couple of them emails to show them the business the missed out on. I never expected this to be the case. I thought I would be treated like royalty. I told all of them up front I was looking to spend about $7500 on a bike. Just in case you were thinking of buying from these guys, DON'T DO IT.

- Birmingham Bicycle Company (in Birmingham, AL) never returned calls or emails concerning the build.

- Outspokin Bikes (in Woodstock, GA) said it would take too much time to quote a price to the insurance company.
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I rode the Scalpel today and thought the rear end was too rough for what I was looking for. I liked the lefty but I'd have a tough time spending 6 hours+ on that bike.

I went with the MOOTO XZ. 8-10 weeks til she's here
    It was either that or the Eriksen with a Ventana rear. I ruled out every 26in bike after I was the Eriksen with the Yeti rear end. That thing is sweet! Since I bought the broken NRS from the insurance company I thought I would save the components and some money and buy that Eriksen/Yeti frame in the future.

The Mooto XZ is built up nice, and I still have time to tweak the build since the frame is gonna take so long to get here.

Let me know what you think.

Moots Mooto-XZ 29 Titanium 19.00 23.80 Disc
    Fox 32 F29 RLC 100 White 9mm 100-100mm
    Shimano XTR M975 | Gray/Silver | 160.00
    Shimano XTR M975 | Gray/Silver | 160.00
    Shimano XTR Pods SL-M970
    Shimano XTR Aluminum 175.00 22-32-44
    Shimano Hollowtech II | CrMo
    Shimano XTR M970 Top Swing
    Shimano XTR M970 | Steel/Titanium | 11-34
    Shimano XTR M972 Shadow | L
    Shimano XTR 7701
    Shimano M970 | Silver/Gray
    Chris King NoThread Set | Black
    Thomson X4 | Black | 100.00 | 10.00
    Easton EC90 Monkeybar SL Black Carbon Low Rise
    Oury Soft Grip | Black
    Thomson Masterpiece Black 330mm
    WTB Devo Carbon | Black
    Maxxis Ignitor 29 | Black | Kevlar | 2.10
    Kenda Small Block 8 | Black | Kevlar | 2.10
    Butyl Presta 1.90-2.70 | 36.00mm
    Butyl Presta 1.90-2.70 | 36.00mm
    Salsa Titanium flip-off | Black | Titanium
    Salsa Titanium flip-off | Black | Titanium
    Chris King Disc ISO Black 32
    Chris King Disc ISO Black 32
    Stans NoTUBES ZTR Arch | Black | 32 | UST
    Stans NoTUBES ZTR Arch | Black | 32 | UST
    DT Swiss Competition 14/15g | Silver |
    DT Swiss Competition 14/15g | Silver |
    DT Swiss Alloy | Silver
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    I am looking to unload the NRS frame if someone wants it. Make me an offer and pay for shipping and paypal fees. reardmd@hotmail.com

IT HAS BEEN IN A HARD IMPACT!!!
    NO VISIBLE DAMAGE, BUT STRESS FRACTURES ARE A POSSIBILITY!!!
    I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS FRAME FOR MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!

The rear triangle is most likely unharmed by the wreck (same with the rear shock, Fox Float R).

Anybody want it???
    Last edited by cavitykilla; 06-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.
    Truffle Shuffle