Happy Trails

EVOC Travel Case

Recent experience traveling with my road bike from USA to Sweden might be relevant to some folks racing / traveling with mountain bikes. I used an Evoc travel case (about $400) to get my Specialized Tarmac from Arizona to Scandinavia for a big ride, 180 mile VatternRundan this week. I purchased the Evoc bag because it will also fit 29er wheels with tires on my trail bike. So far, so good. The case will hold a large bike and seems pretty durable. It definitely took me longer than "ten minutes" to pack it up.... More like and hour and ten minutes.... but that included a deep cleaning beforehand. I made sure I had plenty of 14 inch zip ties, and was careful to pack all the tools I needed for reassembly. I had to remove handlebars, pedals, post/saddle, and wheels. I also marked my stem and seat post locations with tape, and removed and reinstalled the rear derailleur. I followed LBS advice to "remove rear derailleur, then reinstall and torque it back the same and the shifting will be the same". Now, with 2 checkout rides after re-assembly, shifting is all good; LBS was right. I did not pack any CO2's, since TSA will confiscate them, but I brought along a small trail pump and I picked some up CO2 cartridges here. Another tip: pick up 2 pairs of throw-away plastic axle plugs to insert in wheels after removing skewers .... If you have been good to LBS they will hook you up with these leftover from their new builds.

With my 18 pound bike, helmet, shoes, bottles, saddle bag, micro-pump, and tools, the EVOC case weighed just under 50 pounds ... And the airline did not charge me extra (!), but I am a frequent flyer traveling on an expensive ticket, but the low-profile case probably helped me avoid what could have been a $250 fee. I hope I have same luck on trip home.

I'll update the second half of the trip after Saturday's ride.

Here are some photos of the case:

EVOC Travel Case-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371142319.539588.jpg
    EVOC Travel Case-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371142361.422575.jpgEVOC Travel Case-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371142378.873065.jpgEVOC Travel Case-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371142396.789575.jpg
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 06-14-2013 at 04:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought an EVOC case a few months ago and have taken it to Nepal and Serbia- couldn't be happier with it!

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Would UPS or FEDEX ship a bike using the EVOC case? Would it survive such a journey? I like the idea of a soft sided case and have seen good reports with respect to airline travel, but have not seen a report of a soft sided case used to ship a bike using a courier service. Any info/insight would be welcomed!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Happy Trails

EVOC Travel Case

I think you'd be better of picking up an empty bike box from LBS. I believe . you can also buy oversize bike boxes from moving supply companies, I've heard of this. But shipping in a box is a hassle too. I've tried it. It is expensive, especially if you pay a bike shop on the shipping and receiving end, twice, to disassemble and reassemble.

mtbr member
    From your photo, it looks like there is a lot of room in there, would you mind telling the size of your bike?

reason I ask: my xxl mtbs and 62/63cm roadies take more packing than I'd like to get into my Trico Ironcase, namely removing the fork on the mtbs and the crank on one roadie (which has a semi-integrated post, so there's a stub sticking up). I saw somone else had a Evoc on my last trip, and it seemed better laid out for a mtb than the ironcase.

Happy Trails

EVOC Travel Case

That is a size 58 Specialized Tarmac, so yes, a fairly large bike, and I'm running spacers and a +12 degree stem on the head tube, so I'm sure a larger road bike would also fit, or a mountain bike, especially if you removed or flipped the stem.

I think Evoc bags are set up more for trail bikes than road bikes. There is a recommended foam and velcro packing accessory to accommodate road forks that I did not have, so I hillbilly'd up and made a front fork holder from the pink shipping foam you see in the photo.

BTW, I'm just landed at EWR about to clear customs on way home and still no extra fees, so hopefully my luck holds for my connection flight.