mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Enduro/Gravel Grinders on a 29r?

I'll try to keep this short.

1. I'm back into cycling after a long layoff and have been doing more and more long distance/gravel rides-races of late.

2. I own a Scott Scale 960 29er and have had decent success thus far with it, I've completed in a 55, 70 and 120 mile gravel events and will be doing more as well and possibly the Trans Iowa.

3. Lack of $$$ will not allow me to go out and buy a $2,000+ cyclocross bike so what can/should I do to my 29er to make it more long distance gravel friendly? I'm already looking at going from my current 2.1x29 Ground Control tires to 1.8 S-Works Renagade Tires, that set alone will save me almost 400g.

4. Would putting on a ridged front fork be a good idea? I know my suspension fork weights a ton but I really like the comfort it gives in not rattling out my teeth, would drop bars be a good idea?

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I live in Iowa and do most of my winter riding on the gravel roads on my El Mar Ti 29er hardtail. I also ride the 1.8 (1.9?) Renegades, setup tubeless and swap my Reba fork to a carbon rigid fork. The weight savings is nice on the fork and there are very few times in which I wished that I had the Reba.

For winter, I also use a pair of Bar Mitts that were made for a four wheel ATV. $20, but only work with flat bars (so perfect for the MTB).

Depending on your gearing and fitness, you might want to swap out front rings. I happen to run 1x9 and use a 36T during the winter. It doesn't give me the great top end, but works just fine for winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well..the more and more I actually research and shop, it appears I can get a decent 2011-2012 cyclocross bike at around $1300 that ultimaly would be better than anything I could do to my 29er mnt bike. Still gonna get the more gravel friendly tires once I wear these out, I figure if I train the winter on this mnt bike and can afford a new bike next spring I'll be in even better shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Personally, I would swap out the suspension fork for a rigid. Even something like a cheap Salsa Cromoto would be ok, IMO. If more plush is needed up front, keep your fatter tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    29er will be fine as long as the weight is around 11kgs, and you flip the stem to get a bit more of a aerodynamic ride position.

yes rigid forks are essential to save weight and save energy use. advantages you have are hydro brakes and a fast descender due to bigger tyres and a more stable ride position (compared to narrow drop bars).

with drop bars you'll lose handling - plus would have to modify brakes/gears. if you go rigid keep the larger tyres, converted to tubeless of course - and that's another thing difficult to do on a cx. cxers had a big advantage over mtbs until the 29er came along.