Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Endurance tire choice (29er)?

Hi guys,
    Looking for favorite all around tire choice and size for your endurance racing? I realize that course conditions are going to be the primary factor in tire choice but just would like to hear some opinions.

Right now I'm riding Specialized Captain 2.0's on my Carve.
    thanks,
    Zach

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Totally depends on the course. That being said, I like tires that are mid-weight and have some volume. Of course, I ride a singlespeed and mostly ride rigid.

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of schwalbe Racing Ralphs on both my 26er and 29er.
    I'd like to try the 2.25 NN for muddy days to see how it clears, RR seem to hold the mud more than I want.
    I've ran mountain kings 2.4's they are heavy but grip and ability to shed mud are great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Racing Ralph Snakeskin in back, Bontrager 29-3 in front, both set up tubelesss.

I always like a bit more bite in front, and don't think a little more aggressive tire up there matters as much for rolling resistance as it does out back.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I've got Captains on my hardtail and RR's on my fully - RRs, hands down. Bigger tire, great on the corners, and light. The Captains are nice too, but I much prefer the feel of the RRs in the corners. I might try a Captain on the rear tire and a RR on the front next summer as I think that the Captains have more traction on the straights than the RRs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ikon Exo, 29"

likes to ride bikes
    Deja vu Gonna have to try some of those Maxxis Ikon EXOs myself.

AZ
    banned
    Bonty FR-3 Team Issue, decent volume, rolls well, hooks up well, reasonable weight and is not fragile.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    +1 for Maxxis Ikon EXOs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW View Post
    +1 for Maxxis Ikon EXOs
    I have an Ikon in the back and a Racing Ralph in the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    All year long on a set of 29'er Ikon EXO's until I finally wore them out in Oct. Mounted up on my singlespeed hardtail they saw 3 x 24 Solo's and 1 x 100km, plus a whole pile of trg and fun riding.

Great endurance tire.

Adventure Mapper
    Ikons aren't too great in anything but dry conditions from what I have heard. Is that your experience too?
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Rocket Rons are worth a look... very happy with them.

Dirty South Underdog
    Maxxis Ignitor front & Ikon rear. Might switch to Beavers for the muddy races if they seem tough enough on training rides this winter.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have yet to have any problems with any kenda tires i have used. No flats, rips, or anything of the sort.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Ikons aren't too great in anything but dry conditions from what I have heard. Is that your experience too?
    That's not been my experience, I think they are a great all-rounder tire. I've raced them in mud, rocks, dust, roots, hardpack, gravel, sand, loam, etc. Guaranteed they aren't a dedicated mud tire but they do surprisingly well in the mud.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    You want something bigger than a 2.0. 2.2 is good, for traction, comfort and lower OFF ROAD rolling resistance (narrow is faster on tarmac).

Also a shallow tread, again for less rolling resistance, you're not going to be exploring the boundaries of traction, drifting round in every corner in a solo24 but you do want too pedal efficiently for an awful long time

Both of these requirements make the maxxis ikon a great tyre for 24solo, but there are several similar, like the schwalbe racing ralph or kenda karma

Adventure Mapper
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post
    That's not been my experience, I think they are a great all-rounder tire. I've raced them in mud, rocks, dust, roots, hardpack, gravel, sand, loam, etc. Guaranteed they aren't a dedicated mud tire but they do surprisingly well in the mud.
    You are finding that they hook up well in mud, even on climbs on your singlespeed?
    If so I have got to get a couple!
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've been running a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT up front and a Geax Suagaro 2.2 in the rear all year. I have been very pleased with their performance in all conditions (even in the mud) and the only weakness with the Suagaro seems to be hooking up on wet slippery rock while climbing (riding SS doesn't help with that either). Tire wear has been decent on both and I haven't torn a sidewall even with all of the rocky, baby head infested trails around here. Rolling resistance is spectacular on both tires!

BTW, I can't believe how expensive tires are these days! It blows my mind how you can buy decent car tire for about the same price!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    You are finding that they hook up well in mud, even on climbs on your singlespeed?
    If so I have got to get a couple!
    They do pretty well in mud based on their ability to shed. Having said that, they aren't all-powerful and can't defeat gumbo mud and it's variants.

As long as I manage my RPM's and keep it reasonably steady-state my SS with Ikon's will get up and through nearly any mud scenario.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    BTW, I can't believe how expensive tires are these days! It blows my mind how you can buy decent car tire for about the same price!
    I've had a pair of 29'er Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's mounted up for the last couple of weeks. Now that's expensive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Conti Race King 29er seem to be doing fine for me.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    My Maxxis Icon tires bubbled in the rear due to the use of Stan's gunk. I like them a lot but don't need a bubble in a race. I wonder if Maxxis makes a Stan's friendly tire outside of a full on UST 29er tire?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ikons or Aspens in the back. I generally have the front at an ardent or wtb bronson depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have run everything from Conti Race king F/R, Race king rear MTN king fnt, Race king rear, X king front, etc... but for all around i have really been liking my snake skin Racing Ralphs. 2.25 f/r with squish and 2.4 rigid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast