Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Endurance tire choice (29er)?

8K views 44 replies 38 participants last post by  NCtrailX 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Looking for favorite all around tire choice and size for your endurance racing? I realize that course conditions are going to be the primary factor in tire choice but just would like to hear some opinions.

Right now I'm riding Specialized Captain 2.0's on my Carve.
thanks,
Zach

#4 ·
Racing Ralph Snakeskin in back, Bontrager 29-3 in front, both set up tubelesss.

I always like a bit more bite in front, and don't think a little more aggressive tire up there matters as much for rolling resistance as it does out back.

#5 ·
I've got Captains on my hardtail and RR's on my fully - RRs, hands down. Bigger tire, great on the corners, and light. The Captains are nice too, but I much prefer the feel of the RRs in the corners. I might try a Captain on the rear tire and a RR on the front next summer as I think that the Captains have more traction on the straights than the RRs.

#17 ·
You want something bigger than a 2.0. 2.2 is good, for traction, comfort and lower OFF ROAD rolling resistance (narrow is faster on tarmac).

Also a shallow tread, again for less rolling resistance, you're not going to be exploring the boundaries of traction, drifting round in every corner in a solo24 but you do want too pedal efficiently for an awful long time

Both of these requirements make the maxxis ikon a great tyre for 24solo, but there are several similar, like the schwalbe racing ralph or kenda karma

#19 ·
I've been running a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT up front and a Geax Suagaro 2.2 in the rear all year. I have been very pleased with their performance in all conditions (even in the mud) and the only weakness with the Suagaro seems to be hooking up on wet slippery rock while climbing (riding SS doesn't help with that either). Tire wear has been decent on both and I haven't torn a sidewall even with all of the rocky, baby head infested trails around here. Rolling resistance is spectacular on both tires!

BTW, I can't believe how expensive tires are these days! It blows my mind how you can buy decent car tire for about the same price! :confused:

#27 ·
I rode Ikon/Ikon in the SM100 this year. Not the best choice given that the trails were all mud. That's a polite way of saying they sucked and I shouldn't have shelled out the $90/. But if the trails would have been hardpack they would have been fast and predictable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.