Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Grip it and rip it.
    I used a Ikon/Aspen combo this past season. Nice set-up for most conditions, sketchy as hell in fast loose corners or mud though ( I never got to ride them in deep mud but doubt they would be good for that).
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I rode Ikon/Ikon in the SM100 this year. Not the best choice given that the trails were all mud. That's a polite way of saying they sucked and I shouldn't have shelled out the $90/. But if the trails would have been hardpack they would have been fast and predictable.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Another vote for Maxxis IKONs.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Fast Trak 2.2 in front 2.0 in back, both setup tubeless. Vary pressure to accommodate conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach75 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Looking for favorite all around tire choice and size for your endurance racing? I realize that course conditions are going to be the primary factor in tire choice but just would like to hear some opinions.

Right now I'm riding Specialized Captain 2.0's on my Carve.
    thanks,
    Zach
    I LOVE my Racing Ralphs. Running the EVO 2.25 tubeless. Low rolling resistance and gives me confidence when cornering. Schwalbe rocks!! I use them on all my builds.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post
    That's not been my experience, I think they are a great all-rounder tire. I've raced them in mud, rocks, dust, roots, hardpack, gravel, sand, loam, etc. Guaranteed they aren't a dedicated mud tire but they do surprisingly well in the mud.
    Keep in mind that an experienced rider will adjust well to their tires. One of the best riders I know rides his SS (all his bikes I think) with a RR 2.25 up front and a Kenda Small Block 8 in the rear, year round. His ability on the bike lets him ride that SB8 up and over anything better than riders with Nevegals etc. He just knows how the tire will react and knows how to pick his lines, use momentum and position his body for maximum traction.
    My point is that staylor is likely an advanced (or at least, very experienced) rider and therefore can turn a lightweight race tire into a solid all around tire. Take tires like Nevegals and Velociraptors, for instance. These tires will grip well over wet stuff, but then their is a large resistance and weight penalty...think of them as 'Traction for Dummies' (no offense to those that love heavy grippy tires). For XC or endurance events, you don't need a tire like that unless the course/conditions seriously call for it.
    FWIW I also had the Ikon EXO's on my SS for several months (until the bubble issue and then tearing a sidewall) and they really can be an excellent all around tire, but they are not the grippers and not the best in greasy conditions, but you can compensate. I currently have been using a 2.35 RR up front (~18-19psi) and a 2.25 (tubeless) on the back(~23psi). I have ridden these many miles over rough, rocky, and muddy terrain with success. Tomorrow I will be testing out the new Michelin Wild Grip'R2 tubeless ready tires. Seem to have a nice pattern for grip and rolling and not obnoxiously heavy at ~720g. Sure, it is the heaviest tire I have ever used on my lightweight 29er SS, but might make a good winter/training tire...or tires for the wife's bike if I absolutely don't like them.
    Good Luck.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    Keep in mind that an experienced rider will adjust well to their tires. One of the best riders I know rides his SS (all his bikes I think) with a RR 2.25 up front and a Kenda Small Block 8 in the rear, year round. His ability on the bike lets him ride that SB8 up and over anything better than riders with Nevegals etc. He just knows how the tire will react and knows how to pick his lines, use momentum and position his body for maximum traction.
    My point is that staylor is likely an advanced (or at least, very experienced) rider and therefore can turn a lightweight race tire into a solid all around tire.
    Good Luck.
    This guy is spot on. An experienced rider can work with their tires, especially the rear. I showed up to a race and it turned out to be a mudbog with a python on the rear. I ended up getting third there. The python isn't know, at all, for being a mud tire, but luckily I had a much grippier front tire or it would've been a very different outcome. Experienced/good riders can predict how their tires will handle, when they're going to break free, and manage with what they've brought.

P.S. I can't stand a small block 8, but the rider he mentions rides them year round. They're not for me.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Schwalbe racing ralphs. great weight, durable (in the snakeskin), mounts well tubeless (floor pump for me on Crests), (relatively) long lasting tread, good pattern for most spring thru fall conditions. No issues with traction for ss.

I've also had great luck with the Aspen in the rear for drier fast conditions.

mtbr member
    I agree with the SB8 recommendation. I race them year round in all conditions and they are awesome. You need to know what to expect though. Of course they will be more slick in the mud but they perform well if you know how they handle.

Riding or Drumming
    No votes for Stan's Raven / Crow OR Furious Fred?

I've been running Icon or Spec Sworks Fast Trak front and SB rear with good luck. However, I'm doing mostly 100mi and 12hr events this year and looking to save some weight. Like other posts, I can make just about anything work as I don't change tires much except for fall / winter and when they're worn.

I'm a Kenda fan and considering maybe their new 24Seven front with Happy Medium rear. I liked the HM on my gravel racing bike in a 700x40.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anyone wtb nano 2.1's?
    With Stan's?
    Looking to run these for the Bogg's 8hr, seems like a light weight, low rolling resistance
    tire.
    Thanks

Riding or Drumming
    I've run and liked the Nanos with Stans and NP. That being said, they are heavy at 650g.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ^thanks!^

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I love me some Small Block 8's.

They are light, predictable, wide tread, set-up easily tubeless.

- from a tire snob

Riding or Drumming
    I'm a BIG fan of the SB8 but still too heavy. I want <600g
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really like my RaRa 2.25's with the snakeskin. Setup tubeless quickly with no failure this summer. Many of the fast guys local to me like the Rocket Ron as an all around light fast tire as well.

mtbr member
    Used to use the Ikon EXO's in PA, and they were great. Super on the typical hardpack, so-so in mud, and nice volume. But they weren't great after I moved to Utah. Not so good on loose stuff. Switched to Conti X-kings, 2.4 rear, and 2.2 front on my hardtail, and get much better traction on loose dirt.

mtbr member
    Racing Ralph 29x2.25 Snakeskin.

Reasonable weight, no weaknesses really.

Tried the Ikon, but it didn't have enough volume for rough courses, I had to run more pressure than I care to.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    I really like the Bontrager 29-1s. But I am using the non tubeless ones so the side walls cut easy. I really like the Icon EXO's too. I would pick them if I had to wary about sidewall cuts.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Geax Saguaros are a great choice. Fairly light, fast rolling, but still have enough shoulder tread to keep you upright. Nice big volume in the 2.2 so you can stay comfy and in control when you get tired!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2