no, I'm not riding SS

Endurance Racing Crib Notes: SM100

Been noticing more and more all the little goodies that many racers have taped to their bars/top tube/stems etc etc--everything from pics of grandma to HR zones. Any suggestions on really useful info to put there, especially for those that have run the SM100?

SWO
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Last year I wrote the mileage of each aid station on my arm with a Sharpie. Then sweated them all off halfway through the race.

You may want to consider the mileage of each of the endpoints of the climbs (or elevation, if your computer has an altimeter). Then you'll know when the pain will end and the downhill fun begins!

Karma Vampire
    Quote Originally Posted by SWO View Post
    Last year I wrote the mileage of each aid station on my arm with a Sharpie. Then sweated them all off halfway through the race...
    Too funny! Did same thing last year at SM100.
    And I thought I was so smart. Live and learn, maybe.

If I have the profile, I print/cut it out and tape it on the top tube, with aid stations marked with a vertical line and a mile number at the top of the line. Plan on moisture, tape over with clear packing tape. Sometimes I tape it on the top of my number "plate", upside down. Just don't look at it on the downhills.

Also you need one motivational phrase that gets to riled up and smiling. Look for the guy with "Drop the Piano!" on his top tube at this year's SM100. Please refrain from words/phrase/initialism/acronyms like "HTFU". You can get DQ'ed :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What I do is I get the elevation profile, cut it in half, then post a half on each side of my bars. That way after you get past 50, your now looking at the other half of the bars. A little positive victory. In addition, I mark a line at each aid station, and if you can't see the mileage ticks, another small tic for every 10 miles.