mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Endurance races in SoCal?

After decades of riding and racing the road I have become hooked on my 29er. Looking for a fun event in the spring to try but I can't seem to find many in SoCal. Any ideas?

Julian Death March looks interesting, but it is the end of the season for me. Not in good shape right now

Catalina looks super fun.....but boat + entry + hotel = expensive weekend

Whiskey 50 also looks great, but 5 hours each way..ouch

Am I missing any that I should look into?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    12hrs of temecula?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    12hrs of temecula?
    Thanks, that looks interesting and is not too far away.

Was more thinking of a course with a long climbs and not multiple loops of the same route. The leadville qualifiers series look interesting, but the closest race is about 10 hours away

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by surftel View Post

Was more thinking of a course with a long climbs and not multiple loops of the same route. The leadville qualifiers series look interesting, but the closest race is about 10 hours away
    Well I am biased since I put on the Julian Death March but it is close to you, is not multiple laps and it certainly has long sustained climbs. We offer 3 distances of 50, 64 and 86 miles, so the 50 miler might be right up your alley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Well I am biased since I put on the Julian Death March but it is close to you, is not multiple laps and it certainly has long sustained climbs. We offer 3 distances of 50, 64 and 86 miles, so the 50 miler might be right up your alley.
    It looks perfect, exactly what I am looking for. Not in the best shape this time of year but might head over next weekend and do the 64 miler

The challenge I always have at this time of the year is lack of fitness. I usually train/race from December -July. Then it gets too hot to train in the mountains so I take 2-3 months easy, recharge, then start training regularly in October.

Just Ride

Endurance races in SoCal?

Vision Quest, it is in April, but more than likely sold out already. Though not officially a race, time is kept and there are some fast people that show up. Lots of big climbs and about 11000 ft of climbing in 54 miles, it's a great 29er course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, Vision Quest is a brute, but sign ups were on Tuesday, and it sold out in 20-30 minutes. There are a couple of 50 milers (typically two loops of 25) in Big Bear for the US Cup series: US CUP Mountain Bike Race Series - Schedule
    The Whiskey 50 is a fun time, worth the drive. The others are fun too (Temecula and Julian)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rwanda 50 is a good one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surftel View Post

I think the Temecula race has a 6hr category as well as 1st time beg. category. I'm planning on doing the beg race as it will be my first time to race a bicycle...looking forward to it!