mathlete
    Nov 2007

Endurance racers on Rip9's raise your hands

Anyone racing their Rip in XC events 30+ miles and for 12 & 24hr events? If so, what's your build like regarding part spec? I've raced mine before but I'm considerably slower on it than on my HT. My Rip9 built as it is now is just over 30# compared to my 29er HT @ 24.5#

I'm debating wether to reconfigure the Rip9 as a lightweight XCish trail bike or sell it and purchase something more XC specific (Element 950, Epic Comp 29er, or Anthem X29). The 29er HT bike does well for most of my racing but would like a FS bike for the venues where the terrain is better suited for a FS bike on in events upwards of 6hrs on mostly technical single track.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm considering the same thing, though with a Tallboy. My GPS times for my local loops are pretty close - faster down, similar time up. Variance has been well within the ~2.5% weight difference. The key to me, it seems, is that I'm often faster on the FS on segments towards the end of a lap. That should pay dividends in the longer events - maybe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Rip 9 RDO would be a sweet endurance racer.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I raced my RIP in the Silver Rush 50 this year, and it was good...but I'm building up an Air 9 RDO for future endurance events. The RIP did a great job, but I think a super light HT would've done me a little more justice. For me, I think my RIP was a little too much squish for an event of that sort. The real test will be the 2013 Silver Rush 50 on the HT...which will give me a true comparison.

For reference, my RIP is built up with XO/XX components, Magura MT8's, Stan's Arch wheels, etc and comes in at 26 lbs. It's a total blast to ride, but will sit the bench for endurance events next year.

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    @au -yep, I feel better on the FS on the longer events that are mostly singletrack with very little jeep or fire roads. The squish goes a long way to help fight of fatigue to those stablizing core muscles.

@RetroS - I agree, absolutely IF I had the cheddar for a complete build. Unfortunately I don't have that available to me at the moment. But if I did, the RDO would be a no brainer

@chrisgardener73 - sweet, thanks for the info. Your build is the way I was thinking of going. Maybe I keep my HT and replace the Rip. My riding these days don't really warrant that much squish. I liken it to having a souped up, lifted jeep, only to drive it down mellow dirt roads that are better suited for driving fast on with a subaru impreza wrx. I bought the RIP with grand thoughts of doing more adventurous stuff and doing more big mountain riding. I have yet to do so but I've done several endurance type races and Xterra off-road tri's on it. Its fun and a great bike but maybe I should look into something more specific to the riding I do, not the riding I WANT to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I also do some xterra racing and I ride a jet9 aluminum. That said most of my riding is not race oriented and I feel that a rip would increase overall fun factor. One great thing about the jet is that I always feel fresh on the bike and post ride usually as well. I had an air9 built up super light which I could fly uphill with but wanted that extra squish for endurance which is why I went with the jet. Would love to try out an air9 RDO and see how it compares but I strongly recommend the jet and it is a really fun and fast bike.
    Unfortunately I'm limited on funds so for my one bike quive I'm stuck with the jet. I don't believe that is a bad thing however.
    Any jet and rip owners that can offer a comparison between the two, and whether I should just go up to the rip?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FWIW, I ride the Jet9 alum as my only MTbike. 30.5lbs. I ride everything from Xterra tris (FOP in those) to 50+mile events (solid MOP). I am a tall guy and can produce some power bursts so the only time I feel like I am at a disadvantage is long climbs. I have ridden HT's in the past and I can't imagine riding them in 30+mile events without wanting to quit MTb'ing....but I shy away from events with a lot of forest service.

Sounds like you already kind of know what you need though if your terrain is more fit towards the HT.