mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Endurance newby - SC Blur XC vs Norco Faze 1 or Ibis Mojo vs...

Thanks in advance...

I'm a roadie training for ultra-endurance events, hopefully the Hoodoo500 or something similar next season. I'm currently spending about 14-15hrs a week in the saddle and am getting mentally burnt to a cinder. I'm 5' 8", about 155 +/- and ride a lightweight Ti Seven Aerios on the road.

I'd like to get a lightweight mountainbike to break up my training with some long rides away from cars and the noise and fumes they spit. I'm more interested in climbs than descents and I'm not planning on any sort of jumping, big hits, rock gardens, etc.

I've been doing internet research the last few weeks and some of the endurance mountain bike events look like very interesting although I'd be just looking to finish given my off-road skills are non-existent... The training requirements look like they would mesh very well with my current program and relieve some of the mental fatigue of avoiding the same damn potholes every day.

To that end, I've been looking at XC mountain bikes, thinking they'd be the best choice for what I want to do. I've ridden a Blur XC, a Norco Faze 1, a Scott Spark and an Ibis Mojo. However, all the rides were on pavement, grassy fields, stairs, etc. No real trail riding. My favorite was actually the Mojo. It seemed to peddle more naturally but I have no idea why as I still don't really understand FS tech. Second favorite was the Blur XC. All were mediums, the Mojo was an XT/S9 build, the others were XTR.

Is the Mojo suitable for the type of riding I describe? From the description, it sounds more like an all-mountain bike although it was just as light as the Blur XC.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Old_Crow; 06-14-2008 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

If you get an Ibis, you will end up spending lots of time on the bike, lots of fun. I have
    had mine mojo for 7 months and enjoy it just as much now as the first ride on it. the bike climbs very good, even in snow and is stable on high speed desents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mojo is an awesome XC bike, yes it can handle AM, but it climbs like a goat and handles fast single track like it is on rails. You will not be sorry. I ride mine for endurance MTB racing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Consider the SC Superlight also! Great bikes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I picked up a Mojo last night and did my first ride today - about 3:30 with about an 1:30 of that on a hilly road between my house and the trails. Tomorrow, I'll do about 50miles but mostly on non-technical hardpack converted railroad bed and powerline trails. I need the endurance workout but I had too much fun today to get back on my road bike so soon.