Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroS View Post
    Many seem to be focused on what's the best on race day. For me a Masters (46) Endurance racer its what I use in training that helps me stay fresh recover faster and able to ride again the next day. In my case through trail and error, numerous injury and recovery periods its a FS 29er. Jet 9 RDO with a 120mm front,
    but any major brand with a quality product woutd work.
    Well said! I'm not beaten up after riding a full suspension either and that's key. You will be out training more if you ride a full suspension bike and consistency wins races.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    If your trails are anything like Pisgah, you definitely need front suspension and I would recommend full suspension, especially on an endurance race. Pisgah has a lot of loose rocks, it's rough in places, drops of 1-3 feet if you take the fast line, roots, and a lot of the stuff I mentioned. The fastest guys may be on 29er hardtails and I own one too, but my back is feeling it by the end of 30 mile races. I haven't attempted an endurance race on the 29 hardtail yet. When compared to my 26 anthem where I raced 12 hours solo and didn't have any pain or discomfort. I would never want to race an endurance race on a fully rigid bike. Go with comfort over weight, my friend. It's not a big deal at the end of the day. It's around 2 pounds. More importantly, get a bike that pedals very efficient like the Anthem. I haven't ridden a lot of other full suspension bikes to tell you how well they pedal. I'm not trying to advertise for Giant. It is really the only one I am familiar with and comfortable recommending.

Edit: I recommend making your own thread so you can get more feedback.
    Hi Rod,

Thank you very much for that! I really appreciate it. While I don't plan to go fast, take big drops, or ride for that long I obviously want to keep doing it for a long time and comfort should be a big priority; I will concentrate on the FS from now on. Cheers.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for FS

I've ridden both a FS and HT in 9 and 12 hour endurance races. I prefer the FS ('09 Turner Sultan w/120mm fork) due mostly to the extra effort I feel being put forth from the cumulative gushe of a hard tail in the later laps. I have a rigid steel bike too and if I were 10+ years younger, I'd wail away on that and auto-adjust my spine a few times along the way probably

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I ride the Niner Jet 9 RDO because it is both light at 26 lbs and cushy on my aging butt. Why would I use a HT on a long race with bumps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endurance Bike choice-niner1.gif  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I ride the Niner Jet 9 RDO because it is both light at 26 lbs and cushy on my aging butt. Why would I use a HT on a long race with bumps?
    Also a triple and ergons. Excellent choices.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeehaw! I have a slightly-used Anthem coming to me this week.

Carnivore
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
    Yeehaw! I have a slightly-used Anthem coming to me this week.
    Good choice. I have a 2011 Anthem X3 29er. A bit heavy in stock form but my 50 year old body can ride it all day. The Maestro suspension is really efficient pedaling. I'd love to have a low 20's lb. HT 29er for xc racing but for hours on rocky AZ trails FS is sweet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah, I'm 45, and even on the little bumps, I'm wishing I had FS these days. I think all those cumulative little jabs over many hours adds up to a lot of fatigue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So my slightly used Anthem 29 2 showed up today, and I put it together. With a completely stock parts spec, it weighs less than my Santa Cruz Highball aluminum hardtail. Howzzat work?

The Highball was the ultra-cheap D spec model, but I did a lot of upgrading, so I'm puzzled at how a stock Anthem can weigh less.

Carnivore
    How much does the Anthem weigh? Mine is an XL Anthem X3 and I think it weighed 29 lbs. stock. The X3 wheels are really heavy. The ones on the X2 are significantly lighter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not sure. I don't have a scale around, and Giant won't say. My guess is about 26-27 lbs. So much for my "the extra weight is going to bother me" worries if it weighs less than my hardtail.

Carnivore
    Well, the good news is that if you don't have a scale around you must not be a roadie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was going to stand on the bathroom scale holding it, but I really, really do not want to weigh myself right now. I took it out for an hour and a half spin in the rain, and it's perfect. This thing is really built for speed!

I think I figured out where much of the weight difference comes from. I have a Recon Silver TK on the Santa Cruz, as opposed to a Reba Dual Air on the Giant. Apparently, this is a difference of 1.2 pounds? In the fork alone? I guess this is one last upgrade to do before the Santa Cruz becomes a single speed.
    Last edited by Golden_Monkey; 01-26-2013 at 06:30 PM.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    How much does the Anthem weigh? Mine is an XL Anthem X3 and I think it weighed 29 lbs. stock. The X3 wheels are really heavy. The ones on the X2 are significantly lighter.
    I just got a new Anthem Advanced 0 29'er Carbon. It is pretty blinged out with XX group and Giant's new carbon wheels but without pedals it was 22.5 lbs stock. (size medium)

Plan on using it in few hundred milers and 24 hr solos this season.

Big change for me as I've been a SS racer for the past 5 years. But I am digging it so far and I still may end up SS-ing it eventually

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by born2snowboard99 View Post
    I have ZERO endurance mountain biking racing experience. However, I do want to get into it. I have ridden for a number of years but want to greatly improve my fitness. I figure I really like biking so why not try an endurance race?

I was thinking of starting off with a few of the mudslinger events in Oregon such as the 100k. Being a college student I was hoping to accomplish this on a Hardtail 29er like a Scott scale or of the likes
    and not need to shell out another 2-3k on a bike. Should I try my first race on my AM bike (Spesh Enduro ~32.5lbs) or get a hardtail right off the bat?

How much of a disadvantage is a hardtail if any?
    Yes it depends on alot of things,but for your first just go have fun. I'm getting ready to do my 15th 24hr solo..My first one was on a 35lb FS Giant 13 people in my class I was 8th or 9th place,I had so much fun, I have gone on to where I have two bikes a HT & FS, I was racing last year in a 24 and on lap 4 I got on my HT 2x9 rigid,and now I never want to go near that bike unless it's to just go out and do some hill repetes, I would rather ride/race my 26lb FS over my 21lb HT any day. and I don't have to think to much about picking my lines. For the OP I have a Salsa SF1 and I love it! also I'm 52 FWIW
    Last edited by idinomac; 02-14-2013 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey, no one is mentioning Pivot? Whats up with that ;?) I experience near zero bob when out of the saddle on a climb with rear shock in "propedal" mode. I also weigh 160lbs and have decent form for pedaling.
    I have a 2009 Pivot mach 4 XO/XT group set. Bike weighs 26.55lbs with pedals, seat etc. I have cobalt wheels on it though and Bontrager inform RL saddle with some CF upgrades. Running panaracer fire XC pro 2.1's front and rear because here in the pacific NW (near seattle) you need an aggressive tire, which brings me up to another point (still have tubes but plan to try tubeless this week).
    No one asks what conditions you ride in/on. Again, here in the PNW it is wet 7mos/yr. Most trails have A LOT of roots which basically become ice sticks when wet. Mud is very common along with a lot of rocks. Lots of single track with tight twisty turns.
    I am in the market for a HT 29er and wonder if 8ft wide hairpins will be an issue compared to using the mach 4.
    Anyways, I think the environment and types of trails you ride are very important as well.
    2009 Mach 4 XT/XO group. Some carbon upgrades w/crank bros. cobalt wheel set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very happy with my Spearfish 2 that I got recently. My large is 27 lbs with no pedals. Feels very light and carves well. Rear shock is stiff enough to stand and crank up hills with virtually no bob, but gives you 80 mm of travel to take the edge of harder bumps. It climbs really really well and I start to appreciate the design a lot as the ride wears on. The other bike I was interested in was the specialized Epic, but I scored a great deal on ebay for under $2k...hard to beat that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3