Grip it and rip it.

Embarrassing race question...

In my last 12 hour race I stopped about four times for a 'natural break' . I was wondering if the top riders would bother stopping for this at all, or just ride through it? I realized it was quite a close race between me and the positions ahead of me so this and some other things I did obviously makes a big difference.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    By 'natural break' I assume you mean #1, not cocka-doodie. If so, you were likely over-hydrated or over-caffeinated. Either way, even with the stops you may have been faster than you would've been otherwise, so it's not safe to say that your finish would've been better if you hadn't stopped so much.

Grip it and rip it.
    Yes, #1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You are kidding right? How long could it take you to piss 4 times? Compared to the overall 12 hour race length... Even the Tdf guys pull over, and the stages are alot shorter than your race.

Just relax, the couple of mins lost aren't a big deal unless the race is paying your sole salary..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thats a good sign. You are a healthy student. If you are peeing, then you won't be cramping later on.

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell
    You are kidding right? How long could it take you to piss 4 times? :

No i'm not kidding.. one of them went on forever and all the effort of tha last 15-20 mins riding seemed to be suddenly wasted as i saw rider after rider pass me by . Fair enough i did catch most of them again fairly quickly, and if everyone else has the odd stop then it all evens out in the end. But i want to see if most other people are doing it. From what i was observing on the side of the course, not as many as me.

I'm not saying that this is the reason for lost time, but there was only 12 mintues between me and the rider ahead of me in the end.. so i know every minutes counts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    No i'm not kidding.. one of them went on forever and all the effort of tha last 15-20 mins riding seemed to be suddenly wasted as i saw rider after rider pass me by . Fair enough i did catch most of them again fairly quickly, and if everyone else has the odd stop then it all evens out in the end. But i want to see if most other people are doing it. From what i was observing on the side of the course, not as many as me.

I'm not saying that this is the reason for lost time, but there was only 12 mintues between me and the rider ahead of me in the end.. so i know every minutes counts.
    How do you know the rider 12 minutes ahead of you didn't stop 5 times?

mtbr member
    I passed four people taking "breaks" this past weekend at Canmore's 24 HoA. I was surprised on one hand as the loops were only about an hour and a half; short enough that I thought the "breaks" could've been managed to coincide on resting laps. Having said that, I was surprised as I too was holding a "break" in for the last half of my last lap.

Losing Ground
    Peeing takes longer than you would think, especially if you're wearing bibs and have a backpack, etc. It doesn't seem so bad unless you're riding with others or know someone is right behind or in front of you. At least you're peeing though which is a good sign. Four times in 12 hours isn't too awful. I'd rather know I'm hydrated than being on the verge of cramps. I usually have to pee real bad at the start, and then one more within the 1st hr and then I settle down. You could just wet yourself.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    if your a guy a minute or 2 max.

IF your a girl kinda of sucks to be you.

mtbr member
    Do it while riding so you do not lose time. Pull it out through the bottom of your shorts and there you go.. do not even have to stop. I would recommend pacticing this a lot before you do it in a race - and the best place to practice is in Road bike group rides... get on the front of the group and go for it!!!

Really though... I just stop and do my thing...

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Do it while riding so you do not lose time. Pull it out through the bottom of your shorts and there you go..

I think most people would be pulling 'it' out through the top of their shorts

Members who have read this thread: 0