mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Elete users: Put it in water or sports drink?

I usually use the Gatorade Endurance formula mix when I ride but I have some Elete samples to try.

Can I just put them in the Gatorade or do I need to do the Elete in straight water?

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    I usually use the Gatorade Endurance formula mix when I ride but I have some Elete samples to try.

Can I just put them in the Gatorade or do I need to do the Elete in straight water?
    I put it in both regular water and sports drinks. 'Most' sports drinks don't have enough of the electrolytes you need....so the ELETE is handy to up the dosage. Adding it to plain water turns your water into a sports drink....minus the fruity flavors. ELETE is great, that you can experiment with dosage quantities to get what works best for you and your local riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Gatorade it is, looking forward to trying this stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was actually recently in contact with Sarah Kaufmann (one of their athletes and employees!) and she suggested to use it on a regular basis (off the bike as well from what I understand), and also to include it with both water and sports drink as Jeff mentioned.

Also like he said, since it isn't pre-mixed in powder you can put more or less depending on your needs/tastes and what kind of training you're doing that day/week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I use it in water, gatorade, perpetuem, etc., I sweat like a stuck pig (sort of look like one as as well) and of course lose at ton of electrolytes. Since I started adding Elete last year my cramping is all but gone. Good luck.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member

Water

I've been using it for 2 weeks now and have only used it in water. I was hesitant at first - concerned that without and existing taste to mask it I may be stuck with a bad taste in my mouth for a while. - but found it virtually has no taste at all. So far - very happy with this product. Rode 19 miles yesterday in 93 degree heat (and high humidity) and nary a twinge of a cramp felt..... If you have the samples the attached card notes the methods in which they recommend it be served....

Eating Hot Pockets
    i've been mixing it with water in my pack for the past few weeks and it helped me survive a 70-mile ride this past weekend with 85-90 degree heat in the humid Northeast corner...
    one advantage if you mix it with Gatorade-type stuff is if you dilute it to kill the sweetness, you can bump up the electrolytes back to the proper levels after diluting the drink..
    Sarah did say in an emergency situation you can take a straight shot of the liquid so of course i had to try a taste.. be prepared, it's naaasty! tastes like a combination of super-concentrated sweat.. and pickle juice
    but hey, whatever works..

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Used it on Sunday, 2.5 hour mountain bike ride in 95 degree heat with a good bit of humidity.

Works well, I guess. Could not taste it and had no cramps...but then again, I cramp maybe once a year. I like it and it is cheap enough to actually buy some. Fools Gold will be the real test.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it! As Jeff and Allison pointed out, elete can go in any beverage - or straight, in a cramping emergency, as A Nony Moose added...but, beware

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Alright, real test this week. Did a hard 4 hour mtn ride with a hangover in the middle of the day. No cramps, felt strong the whole time despite sweating heavily.

I'm sold, I like it.

Bike Snob
    Good stuff, I put it in both and have even hit it straight from the bottle. I wouldn't recommend it but the results were nearly instantaneous.