Grip it and rip it.

Do you aim to bonk at the end of your last lap?

Hi, i know this question might sound silly.. because often you dont know how many laps you will end up doing (in a solo 12 or 24). In a 12 hour race your lap times might get slower or faster over the 12 hours, but i've noticed most riders lap times stay consistent. Well in my last 12 hour solo, my aim was to start out steady and pick up the pace at hour seven if i felt good. That worked to plan so i tried to go hard for the last to laps, hoping i would bonk towards the end of the last lap, to me this would of been a perfectly timed race. I started my last lap with 10 minutes till the cutoff point till no more laps were alowed.

My last two laps were my personal best which surprised me quite alot. I think i may of left it a bit late to put the foot down since i never bonked.

So my question is, how do you time your race? And secondly, did i time may race badly by never cramping up or bonking?

I would like any help or insight on this please. As this was only my second 12 hour.
    Cheers, mike
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

should know better.....
    I go for consistency on my laps, but drop the hammer on the final one, knowing that I don't have to hold anything in reserve. Going too hard 2 laps out from the end might leave you cramping or bonking for the final lap, and actually losing time overall.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Grip it and rip it.
    What if you set off and you are aiming to be consistant, but your lap times are about 3 minutes faster than you are able to maintain over the twelve hours.

Of course you would ony realise at about hour 6-8 or so.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think most of the time no one would ever choose to purposefully bonk or cramp? I imagine you'd feel better sooner post race if you didn't.

I've never had my last 2 laps be my best (have only finished 2 12-solo's, though), however, they do tend to be faster than like 6-7 or just after mid-day (struggling at that point). Usually lap 1-2 are way faster just because everyone is in the XC mindset, racing for singletrack, passing, and full of energy.

Now broadcasting from CO
    I don't know if bonk is the right word, but I definitely red-line myself in the last lap of a race if I need to. Actually I usually do it even if I don't too...
    Brought to you by rocks.