Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dk200 2013

11K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  JeepyJayhawk 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll get it started, a DK 2013 thread. Who is signed up for the Dirty Kanza race this year, what are you riding? (Mtb or CX). What tires? Training tips? Nutrition tips? I've started it twice in the past, maybe this will be my year to finish.

#70 ·
Wind, rocks and hills, oh my. I was lucky enough to finish the 200. The town of Emporia really rolls out the welcome mat.

But what stuck in my mind was the women and men who volunteered for Pablove Grub. I had a mix up with my drop bags and they took care of me. I couldn't say thanks enough. Also, it was also reassuring to know that the KC Jeep Club was there to back us up if things didn't go well.

Results, nearly 50% attrition...
MotoTally > Dirty Kanza > Race Results

#71 ·
I DNF'd at the halfway point, that wind was just too damn much. Also, the 2 hours of poor sleep I got the night before probably didn't help any. Aside from that, it was an amazing 100 mile ride. The vibes and atmosphere are amazing. So many cool people from the event promoters, to the volunteers, to the fellow racers that do nothing but encourage and try to help. Better training, a little hard earned insight, and I'll be back next year to cross that line :)

Glad you made it 29! It was a haaarrrd ride!

#74 ·
I DNF'd at the halfway point...Better training, a little hard earned insight, and I'll be back next year to cross that line :)
I noticed that you ran fixed gear. With the Tomicog you are committed or should be :) No flip flopping. If everyone was running that setup, I am guessing 99% attrition rate would be the result at the 50 mile mark. To make it a 100 miles is flipping impressive. It would have been interesting to watch your descent had you made it to the downhill at about the 112 miles mark. I hit about 43mph. Definitely not going to be a Strava segment. I can't believe how much of the time I spent in 36:28 on semi-flat ground with my nose into the wind. How to SS/Fix gear for that, I have no idea.

#72 ·
Finished the 200 without a second to spare. The hills were great, the downhills amazing. Overall the course was across the most beautiful terrain I have yet to see. I could have done without the wind, but this was supposed to be a challenge.

I finished on my 29 Salsa El Mariachi, steel baby steel, with well used 2.2 Geax Saguaro tires. No mechanicals, flats, or crashes. Picking good lines and bigger tires worked for me.

I'm coming back for more.

#73 ·
I had a blast during the half-pint. I finished it with plenty of time to spare even given I waited around 30min for my buddy (who didn't finish). Pretty happy about my forecast although the winds were stronger than I hoped. I had a slight snafu as my camelbak unintentionally drained which left me 1 bottle for the 30 miles in headwind until the checkpoint. Got behind in hydration and suffered the cramping consequences later on.

Suffered one flat with my 700x38 Marathon Cross during the big climb early in the race. Arrowhead like flint pierced the knobby part of the tire and just managed to poke a hole in the tube. Luckily the rock stayed stuck in there, and I was able to locate and fix the flat quite quickly. The community support was amazing- hope to make it out again next year.

#75 ·
Well, to be completely honest, I bailed on the fixie the Thursday before, decided I wanted to be able to coast so I could stretch my legs/body in the saddle. However, I have completed many 50-100 mile rides with it fixed. As for descents when fixed, I unclip and put my foots up on the crown of my fork. It's a bit sketchy but you can haul some serious ass. My gearing was 2:1 (34x17), and that wind, my god, that wind. lol.

Next year I believe I'll be on my cross bike, also SS and geared at 42x16. I was afraid the roads there would be like the roads where I am. Our gravel is much much looser and way rougher. Tons of washboards and large rocks. Not much fun on a skinny tire bike. But those roads were a whole different animal entirely. Much more forgiving.

I also screwed myself on nutrition. I didn't eat hardly anything at CP1 and neglected to take any foods whatsoever with me when I left for CP2. Not a good game plan for what I understand to have been the most difficult part of the course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.