Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dk200 2013

11K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  JeepyJayhawk 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll get it started, a DK 2013 thread. Who is signed up for the Dirty Kanza race this year, what are you riding? (Mtb or CX). What tires? Training tips? Nutrition tips? I've started it twice in the past, maybe this will be my year to finish.

#32 ·
This will be my first shot at the 200. I did the team deal last year and rode first 1/2 of the Kanza. Praying for good weather like we had in 2012. I will be riding a Vaya that is set up with Stan's Flow EX wheels and Spec Renegade control 1.8 tires setup tubeless. This is the same setup as last year and I didn't have any tire issues at all. Hoping for the same good luck this year!

#34 ·
Those who've done it before, are lights truely needed at the start/is it dark at the start? (I know you must have lights to start the race) Trying to decide on strength of light, weather just use a small commuter light or go with something bigger.

If its truely dark at the start and a half way decent light is needed, I'll use something bigger then sub 100 lumen commuter light. If not, I'll start small and have a better set of lights with my dad/support crew at the last pit stop.

#38 ·
#44 ·
This will be my first DK200, but not my first endurance ride. Coming in from Denver, staying at EMU, and supported by the charity group. My bike is a Fuji Cross Pro 105/Ultegra, and Kenda Kommando 35. All of this may change after the AntiEpic in April. I have had thoughts of running a 26" mountain bike. I do not have a 29er and I am limited on my setups. It is costing me an arm and leg to ride anymore.
So see you on the 31st or at the start on the 1st.

Any Denver riders out there that would like to get in some rides? Let me know.

#63 · (Edited)
Any Denver riders out there that would like to get in some rides? Let me know.
I'm up in WeldCo and usually do long rides on Sundays out of Windsor. I'm doing Odin's instead of DK, though, so I can't help anyone with getting to KS.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, I put together this mapping app of all the gravel in Colorado: Colorado Gravel Roads and there's a mobile version that should run full-screen on your smartphone and can pick up your phone's GPS.

#45 ·
For the 100, does anyone know if it's a different route that ends up back in emporia or does it finish at the halfway point of the race and they you have to get a lift back to emporia?

#50 ·
Thanks, but I think I'll stick to whiskey ;)

#56 ·
Last year, I rode my Salsa La Cruz running Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires tubeless on Stan's Crests. Salsa Bell Lap bars and a set of Profile T2+ aero bars. 46/34 with a 12x27 10 speed cassette. Comfortable and quick. No flats and no mechanical problems. I finished in around 14:45 or so.

#57 ·
I'm entered in on the DK Half pint along with a buddy I grew up with (we just realized we are both back into cycling now). I'll be on a Vaya, he'll be on a cross check. Only individual from North Dakota signed up as far as I know. I'd love to start training, but hey, it's still fatbike season up here. I've done a number of longer rides on gravel (not 100 miles, however), and I'm coming off a 97mile 12-hr mountain bike race on my fatbike. That said, I live in the flattest dang part of the world so the hills concern me, but hey, gotta give it a shot! I won't be breaking any land-speed records. Hopefully I can finish the 100 miles before everyone finishes the 200 lol.

#58 ·
Pretty quiet out there! Everyone getting geared up? I got a good break-in ride during the Burleigh County Cup (76 miles, near Bismark) the other day. Coming from an area where my training rides have elevation change on order of 100ft over 30 miles, the hills are a wake-up call. The BCC had ~5400 feet of elevation change over 76 miles, so from my research, I think DKlite will be maybe ~20% less over a longer distance, but I suppose I will find out regardless! I finished the BCC just a hair below the 10mph avg cutoff the DK-lite will have. Make no mistake, my goal is to finish the DKlite.

#65 ·
Nice, I've been sweatin' the wind situation.

#66 ·
Conditions are looking a little less than ideal at the moment :( :madman: :confused: :cryin:

#68 ·
A buddy of mine out in Eastern Kansas told me last night that B roads may be routed around if conditions are bad enough. I guess we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.