Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dk200 2013

11K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  JeepyJayhawk 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll get it started, a DK 2013 thread. Who is signed up for the Dirty Kanza race this year, what are you riding? (Mtb or CX). What tires? Training tips? Nutrition tips? I've started it twice in the past, maybe this will be my year to finish.

#2 ·
Good luck this year! This race is not going to happen for me this year. Some day. Something about this race makes me keep going back to the website....I almost signed up on Saturday (even though my longest ride of the year is 20 miles ;) If I was doing the race I would use my current setup, though:

Lynskey ProCross Disc
Sram Red Compact Crank
Sram Red 11-28 Cassette
Kenda Happy Medium 40c set up tubeless on American Classic Racing 29er wheels

I would also go as light as possible and use the Charity Group that will transport drop bags and supply food.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

#3 ·
I'm in for the 100. My training isn't going to allow for the 200 this year. Still working on my rig. Was going to use my touring frame with 105 components but I'm thinking of going with more of a mostercross type setup. I hear running bigger tires is the way to go for comfort and flat protection. We'll see...

#4 ·
I ridden a Salsa Chili Con Crosso on my 2 attempts of DK. I've used Schwalbe Marathon 35 cm and have very good luck with them. I may try a wider tire this year for some more comfort and more flat protection. I'd love to be able to finish all 200 miles of it, but that's a long way!!

#5 ·
I'm in again. I'm local, and I have to say, what an awesome event for Emporia! Can't wait to see everyone again.

I've got a Karate Monkey with cross tires - Kenda Happy Mediums (700x40). I know a few other local folks who ride those as well. I run tubeless, and I've never had a flat with them, and I ride those roads almost every day. The rest of it is SRAM everything setup 2x10 with Woodchipper drop-bars and a Rockshox Reba fork up front, although I will probably drop that and go with a rigid. I also use a Revelate Designs Tangle Bag to keep any weight off my back. Ohh, and it's also rockin a *****in red blinky.

@Lenny and Black Cross - The max I would go with tire width is 700x42. The little amount of cushion you'll get from monster cross tires is definitely not offset by the extra rolling resistance. In my opinion, this race has a lot more in common with road racing than it does with mountain bike racing. The exception to that being that the people doing it are way cooler and drink beer instead of wine, haha. I've only raced this once, and finished pretty close to the back of the pack, but I do ride these roads a lot, and I would say your two biggest priorities for tires are puncture protection and rolling resistance, in that order. If you go tubeless and use Stan's, I'd put in 2 1/2 - 3 cups of the stuff per tire. Tires are a topic where you could ask 10 people and get 11 different answers, so again, this works for me. YMMV, but I hope to see you guys either this year or in the future! It really is a great event, and best of luck to all!

*edit*

Almost forgot! If 200 miles of Kansas gravel just doesn't seem worth the trip, maybe you'd like to try 567 instead. If You Build It, They Will Come. « dingo41

:rockon:

#7 ·
I'm in for the 200. Gonna take a miracle to finish. I do a 50 mile rides on gravel or trails each Saturday but I'm yet to suceed in finishing even a road century. I just drop off horribly after 4 hours. Love these roads though- my wife's from Emporia so I ride with the High Gear team about once a month when we're up there.

#8 ·
Nice to see you guys talking about this. I'm in for the 200. It's going to take a miracle to finish, but I'll give it a shot. I have a rigid geared MTB with big fat 2.5 tires or a Salsa Vaya - most likely will be on the Vaya with tubeless Kenda Happy Mediums, or Bontrager CX0s. Thought about running Bruce Gordon tires, but they need tubes and have delicate sidewalls.

#9 ·
Coming from ca

This will be #4 for me.
2010: I didn't survive the heat
2011: I survived the storm
2012: I survived 4 flats in about 10 miles
2013: I want to finish without using my lights

I'll be on my trusty GF Presidio again (CX bike.) This year I'm going with Clement X'Plor MSO tires set up tubeless. In the past I ran Ricthey Speedmax 35's, great tire but I want a little more comfort down the stretch.

Nutrition: I carry three bottles with me, 4 for the hot sections. I use Infinit Nutrition and try to get most of my calories from that. I take a bar with me for those times I want something solid.

Training: All of my training is on the road, not much gravel where I live in CA. I will have knocked out three doubles by then (crap I have one in a few weeks) and a lot of fast centuries. I believe you just need to be accustomed to long days in the saddle. Work on speed with intervals in between.

I'm probably going to set up my bike with the same gearing as my road bike, might as well stay with what I like. Compact crank with 12-28 gearing.

#12 ·
We rode from Cassoday yesterday and hit in a 35 mile loop. My CX bike was in the shop so,I road my Stumpjumper HT 29er. Although the MTB may be a bit slower, the 29er with its front suspension, larger tires and more upright position felt good. I'll get training miles on both bikes and see.

#13 ·
I'm in for the 100, wishing I had signed up for singlespeed class. Did 65 miles of gravel today on my singlespeed CX and felt great. Would have kept going if I would have had more sunlight.

Right now I'm planning on riding my 29er fixed gear, with some 1.9s or 2.0s, but who knows.

#14 ·
Well, I signed up for the 100, but really have no idea what I'm getting into. I have done a few 8 hour adventure races, so hopefully that will count for something. I am looking to get a hard tail 29er that I can use as an all around adv race/ gravel grinder bike. It looks like there are a few mtn bikes rolling on the gravel, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is not overkill. If anyone is doing any training rides, I would love to join. I'm in the KC area. See ya'll there.

Matt

#19 ·
What about sleeping bag on ground?

#21 ·
Just switched from the half pint to the SS class. WOOT............I'm so gonna die.

#23 ·
Is there any campgrounds around? My favorite event of all time is Shenandoah 100 has free camping for all racers at the Stokesville campground. At about 5:30 they have a wakeup call by ringing a gong thoughout the campground (basically a GIANT field and some woods). Eventually people get up, get ready and at 630, we're off. Whats also great about this format is when you finish (at the campground) its a huge party, and you can just crash as soon as you finish if you want.

#24 ·
There's an RV park just west of town, but I wouldn't count on it. There's a pretty big rodeo about 20 miles away in Strong City that weekend, so I'm betting that all the RV spots will be taken. This is also a huge suck on hotel rooms. As far as any camping opportunities nearby (5 miles or less), that's about it. I'd offer a couch or even my backyard, but I may be moving before then. I'll talk to the promoters and see if we can't use the HS as was mentioned or possibly the college, or find people with spare bedrooms. If you need a place to stay, shoot me a message, and I'll see what I can conjure up on a case by case basis in the interim.

#25 ·
If it was just me I would sleep in the back of my Jeep, but my parents are my support crew and that would be a bit snug. I would love to see the look on their faces if I pulled behind a Walmart and said, "Alright, lets go to bed."

Reactions: Hairllama
#26 ·
From Jim Cummins
Exciting Announcement about Lodging Accommodations at Dirty Kanza!!! PLEASE READ.

Hey, all of you registered for Dirty Kanza who still haven't made lodging reservations. Nearly every motel room in Emporia has been sold the weekend of May 31 thru June 2. So if you don't yet have a room, you might be wondering what in the world are you going to do. Well, we have a solution for you. We have been working with the folks at Emporia State University and we are happy to announce that ESU will be making their dormitory rooms available for Dirty Kanza participants. To keep things simple, only one option is available... your 3-night stay package will include 3 meals and 1 ESU parking pass. For more details, check out the facebook page. We hope this option will help you with your Dirty Kanza planning.

#32 ·
This will be my first shot at the 200. I did the team deal last year and rode first 1/2 of the Kanza. Praying for good weather like we had in 2012. I will be riding a Vaya that is set up with Stan's Flow EX wheels and Spec Renegade control 1.8 tires setup tubeless. This is the same setup as last year and I didn't have any tire issues at all. Hoping for the same good luck this year!

#34 ·
Those who've done it before, are lights truely needed at the start/is it dark at the start? (I know you must have lights to start the race) Trying to decide on strength of light, weather just use a small commuter light or go with something bigger.

If its truely dark at the start and a half way decent light is needed, I'll use something bigger then sub 100 lumen commuter light. If not, I'll start small and have a better set of lights with my dad/support crew at the last pit stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.