Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dk200 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I like your style. I may wait til the end for that though, well maybe the last 10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mine will look like this only with tubeless tires vs tubulars that are on there now...

Dk200 2013-250020_3778913390714_1563675409_n.jpg

I'll probally though some areo bars on there. Ugly and against all bike codes, but I figure they will be nice for some of the longer sections.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallsol View Post
    Mine will look like this only with tubeless tires vs tubulars that are on there now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250020_3778913390714_1563675409_n.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	776758
    Looks like a painted Dirty Disco.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes and no. I bought the bike directly from china prior to ON ONE selling theirs, which is the exact same bike from the same company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hikernks View Post
    If anyone has any delusions of grandeur about using WTB Nanoraptor tires on the DK, I will offer this counterpoint as to what the first ~12 miles (and back) of the 2012 DK route does to them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...=photo_comment
    The roads are different every year. I finished my first DK on a fully rigid Surly Karate Monkey with 2.1 Nanoraptors. Two flats the entire race. The next year, I ran Schwalbe Marathon Extremes with their protection belt. I had eight flats. *shrug*

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last year, I rode my Salsa La Cruz running Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires tubeless on Stan's Crests. Salsa Bell Lap bars and a set of Profile T2+ aero bars. 46/34 with a 12x27 10 speed cassette. Comfortable and quick. No flats and no mechanical problems. I finished in around 14:45 or so.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm entered in on the DK Half pint along with a buddy I grew up with (we just realized we are both back into cycling now). I'll be on a Vaya, he'll be on a cross check. Only individual from North Dakota signed up as far as I know. I'd love to start training, but hey, it's still fatbike season up here. I've done a number of longer rides on gravel (not 100 miles, however), and I'm coming off a 97mile 12-hr mountain bike race on my fatbike. That said, I live in the flattest dang part of the world so the hills concern me, but hey, gotta give it a shot! I won't be breaking any land-speed records. Hopefully I can finish the 100 miles before everyone finishes the 200 lol.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Pretty quiet out there! Everyone getting geared up? I got a good break-in ride during the Burleigh County Cup (76 miles, near Bismark) the other day. Coming from an area where my training rides have elevation change on order of 100ft over 30 miles, the hills are a wake-up call. The BCC had ~5400 feet of elevation change over 76 miles, so from my research, I think DKlite will be maybe ~20% less over a longer distance, but I suppose I will find out regardless! I finished the BCC just a hair below the 10mph avg cutoff the DK-lite will have. Make no mistake, my goal is to finish the DKlite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just found out that my support person cannot make it. I am hoping that I can find a race day only support. I only need to be picked up if necessary and maybe a bag drop at 100.
    I can compensate if needed. I am out of Denver if that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Yooper View Post
    Just found out that my support person cannot make it. I am hoping that I can find a race day only support. I only need to be picked up if necessary and maybe a bag drop at 100.
    I can compensate if needed. I am out of Denver if that helps.
    Pablove, baby!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can't use Pavlove, they closed when reg closed. I got a resounding no from the race organizers. If you have a number then Ill call.

mtbr member
    Can't use Pavlove, they closed when reg closed. I got a resounding no from the race organizers. If you have a number then Ill call.
    Are they still providing 'rescue' support from the Jeep club? At least that'll get you home if you need it.

Most Delicious

Any Denver riders out there that would like to get in some rides? Let me know.
    I'm up in WeldCo and usually do long rides on Sundays out of Windsor. I'm doing Odin's instead of DK, though, so I can't help anyone with getting to KS.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, I put together this mapping app of all the gravel in Colorado: Colorado Gravel Roads and there's a mobile version that should run full-screen on your smartphone and can pick up your phone's GPS.
    Last edited by dr.welby; 05-19-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: tpyo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As a meteorologist, I've been closely following our long-range weather models. Right now, the models have been consistent in having a cold front come through the day before. It actually seems like near-ideal conditions with rain the day before to keep dust down. Day of the race will start off cool (50s) and warm into the 70s. No precipitation. Wind out of the NW/N around 10kts. Potential flaws for this forecast is the front. The European model has it slower. If it slows down, then we could expect storms on the day of the race. I'll update the thread with any changes to the forecast.

mtbr member
    Nice, I've been sweatin' the wind situation.
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Conditions are looking a little less than ideal at the moment
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    I'm just worried about MUD. For those of us in 2011 that did that hell hike a bike understand how crappy this really is. "B" roads are fun when dry, but when muddy these are almost impassable.
    Last edited by EMFC; 05-30-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine out in Eastern Kansas told me last night that B roads may be routed around if conditions are bad enough. I guess we'll see.
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Completed the Half-Pint. It was a great ride all in all. Going to do it next year. No flats or mechanical issues. Rode a Foundry Auger with tubed Clement Xplor USH 700x35 tires at 55psi.

Karma Vampire
    Wind, rocks and hills, oh my. I was lucky enough to finish the 200. The town of Emporia really rolls out the welcome mat.

But what stuck in my mind was the women and men who volunteered for Pablove Grub. I had a mix up with my drop bags and they took care of me. I couldn't say thanks enough. Also, it was also reassuring to know that the KC Jeep Club was there to back us up if things didn't go well.

Results, nearly 50% attrition...
    MotoTally > Dirty Kanza > Race Results

mtbr member
    I DNF'd at the halfway point, that wind was just too damn much. Also, the 2 hours of poor sleep I got the night before probably didn't help any. Aside from that, it was an amazing 100 mile ride. The vibes and atmosphere are amazing. So many cool people from the event promoters, to the volunteers, to the fellow racers that do nothing but encourage and try to help. Better training, a little hard earned insight, and I'll be back next year to cross that line

Glad you made it 29! It was a haaarrrd ride!
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Finished the 200 without a second to spare. The hills were great, the downhills amazing. Overall the course was across the most beautiful terrain I have yet to see. I could have done without the wind, but this was supposed to be a challenge.

I finished on my 29 Salsa El Mariachi, steel baby steel, with well used 2.2 Geax Saguaro tires. No mechanicals, flats, or crashes. Picking good lines and bigger tires worked for me.

I'm coming back for more.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had a blast during the half-pint. I finished it with plenty of time to spare even given I waited around 30min for my buddy (who didn't finish). Pretty happy about my forecast although the winds were stronger than I hoped. I had a slight snafu as my camelbak unintentionally drained which left me 1 bottle for the 30 miles in headwind until the checkpoint. Got behind in hydration and suffered the cramping consequences later on.

Suffered one flat with my 700x38 Marathon Cross during the big climb early in the race. Arrowhead like flint pierced the knobby part of the tire and just managed to poke a hole in the tube. Luckily the rock stayed stuck in there, and I was able to locate and fix the flat quite quickly. The community support was amazing- hope to make it out again next year.

Karma Vampire

Dk200 2013

Quote Originally Posted by goldencalf View Post
    I DNF'd at the halfway point...Better training, a little hard earned insight, and I'll be back next year to cross that line
    I noticed that you ran fixed gear. With the Tomicog you are committed or should be :-) No flip flopping. If everyone was running that setup, I am guessing 99% attrition rate would be the result at the 50 mile mark. To make it a 100 miles is flipping impressive. It would have been interesting to watch your descent had you made it to the downhill at about the 112 miles mark. I hit about 43mph. Definitely not going to be a Strava segment. I can't believe how much of the time I spent in 36:28 on semi-flat ground with my nose into the wind. How to SS/Fix gear for that, I have no idea.

mtbr member
    Well, to be completely honest, I bailed on the fixie the Thursday before, decided I wanted to be able to coast so I could stretch my legs/body in the saddle. However, I have completed many 50-100 mile rides with it fixed. As for descents when fixed, I unclip and put my foots up on the crown of my fork. It's a bit sketchy but you can haul some serious ass. My gearing was 2:1 (34x17), and that wind, my god, that wind. lol.

Next year I believe I'll be on my cross bike, also SS and geared at 42x16. I was afraid the roads there would be like the roads where I am. Our gravel is much much looser and way rougher. Tons of washboards and large rocks. Not much fun on a skinny tire bike. But those roads were a whole different animal entirely. Much more forgiving.

I also screwed myself on nutrition. I didn't eat hardly anything at CP1 and neglected to take any foods whatsoever with me when I left for CP2. Not a good game plan for what I understand to have been the most difficult part of the course.
    Registered pedalphile.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast