Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dk200 2013

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    From Jim Cummins
    Exciting Announcement about Lodging Accommodations at Dirty Kanza!!! PLEASE READ.

Hey, all of you registered for Dirty Kanza who still haven't made lodging reservations. Nearly every motel room in Emporia has been sold the weekend of May 31 thru June 2. So if you don't yet have a room, you might be wondering what in the world are you going to do. Well, we have a solution for you. We have been working with the folks at Emporia State University and we are happy to announce that ESU will be making their dormitory rooms available for Dirty Kanza participants. To keep things simple, only one option is available... your 3-night stay package will include 3 meals and 1 ESU parking pass. For more details, check out the facebook page. We hope this option will help you with your Dirty Kanza planning.

Karma Vampire
    I am in for the DK200. This will be my first time racing more than 100mi & first time over 100K with gears. Can't wait to see you all at the finish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    That, or a 90 minute drive on the morning of the race are about the only options left.

The DK has finally gotten too big for Emporia to support. There just aren't enough rooms in town. Maybe they can do what the Ouachita Challenge promoters do and arrange to allow people to sleep/shower at the high school gym.
    I don't think that DK has gotten to big for Emporia. It does happen to fall on the same weekend this year as the Flint Hills Rodeo in nearby Strong City, which I think helped cause the hotels to fill up so fast. I'm staying in Strong City, due to not acting fast enough to get a decent room in Emporia. That being said, I hope they don't make DK any bigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Segraves View Post
    I don't think that DK has gotten to big for Emporia.
    I think they were a little over ambitious with the amount of riders, Emporia isn't that big of a town. The real indicator will be these small towns for the checkpoints and support crews. It was already a clusterf@#k so it will be absolute madness this year. At least this year I shouldn't have to ride alone, there will plenty of folks out suffering together.
    Last edited by EMFC; 02-02-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've done DK twice, finished once. Here is my write up from 2012, it might be of interest to those of you preparing. wagon wheels racing: Dirty Kanza 200 Gravel Road Race (full report)

As far as tires go I used fast rolling 1.8 tubeless tires and was happy as a clam. OH, don't use a worn out 130 gram saddle. Bad choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    I've done DK twice, finished once. Here is my write up from 2012, it might be of interest to those of you preparing. wagon wheels racing: Dirty Kanza 200 Gravel Road Race (full report)

As far as tires go I used fast rolling 1.8 tubeless tires and was happy as a clam. OH, don't use a worn out 130 gram saddle. Bad choice.
    Johnny, I was looking over your blog post and noticed the map. Do they provide just a map or is there also cue sheets?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

trainer
    Nov 2010
    This will be my first shot at the 200. I did the team deal last year and rode first 1/2 of the Kanza. Praying for good weather like we had in 2012. I will be riding a Vaya that is set up with Stan's Flow EX wheels and Spec Renegade control 1.8 tires setup tubeless. This is the same setup as last year and I didn't have any tire issues at all. Hoping for the same good luck this year!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Johnny, I was looking over your blog post and noticed the map. Do they provide just a map or is there also cue sheets?
    Map only. Don't depend on others to figure it out for you. Being vigilant wiht the maps also helps the time pass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Those who've done it before, are lights truely needed at the start/is it dark at the start? (I know you must have lights to start the race) Trying to decide on strength of light, weather just use a small commuter light or go with something bigger.

If its truely dark at the start and a half way decent light is needed, I'll use something bigger then sub 100 lumen commuter light. If not, I'll start small and have a better set of lights with my dad/support crew at the last pit stop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallsol View Post
    Those who've done it before, are lights truely needed at the start/is it dark at the start? (I know you must have lights to start the race) Trying to decide on strength of light, weather just use a small commuter light or go with something bigger.

If its truely dark at the start and a half way decent light is needed, I'll use something bigger then sub 100 lumen commuter light. If not, I'll start small and have a better set of lights with my dad/support crew at the last pit stop.
    A small commuter light is all you would need at the start. Sunrise is 5:55 am on June 1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    Map only. Don't depend on others to figure it out for you. Being vigilant wiht the maps also helps the time pass.
    Like last year when the lead group blew right past that turn and next thing I know I'm in the "new" lead group.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If anyone has any delusions of grandeur about using WTB Nanoraptor tires on the DK, I will offer this counterpoint as to what the first ~12 miles (and back) of the 2012 DK route does to them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...=photo_comment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikernks View Post
    If anyone has any delusions of grandeur about using WTB Nanoraptor tires on the DK, I will offer this counterpoint as to what the first ~12 miles (and back) of the 2012 DK route does to them.

Sh!t son. that's the exact tire I have on back right now. Was considering throwing one on the front...... Was.........
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Some photos from the Flint Hills from a winter DK training ride

Dk200 2013-img_3112.jpgDk200 2013-img_3113.jpgDk200 2013-img_3114.jpg

smd
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hikernks View Post

I'd take this with a grain of salt; any tire can be sliced if you hit the right pocket of nastiness.

In 2010 and 2011, I used the same set of Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires (tubed, then tubeless); in 2012, I used a 3-year old, worn out, WTB Cross Wolf in the front and a mildly worn Clement LAS on the rear without issue. Oddly enough, I destroyed the Clement four months later on a small stick in a 10 mile CX race.

Just ride tires you're comfortable with and keep your eyes on the right (and wrong) lines. You'll be OK.

smd
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC View Post
    Like last year when the lead group blew right past that turn and next thing I know I'm in the "new" lead group.
    ...which was nice, because a little while later, we had a great train to jump in on!

Hatepavement
    In for the 200. First timer. Riding a 1x10 Vaya with tubeless Schwalbe 40's.

mtbr member

Dk200 2013

Let's see some pics of your bike set ups!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This will be my first DK200, but not my first endurance ride. Coming in from Denver, staying at EMU, and supported by the charity group. My bike is a Fuji Cross Pro 105/Ultegra, and Kenda Kommando 35. All of this may change after the AntiEpic in April. I have had thoughts of running a 26" mountain bike. I do not have a 29er and I am limited on my setups. It is costing me an arm and leg to ride anymore.
    So see you on the 31st or at the start on the 1st.

Any Denver riders out there that would like to get in some rides? Let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For the 100, does anyone know if it's a different route that ends up back in emporia or does it finish at the halfway point of the race and they you have to get a lift back to emporia?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member

Re: Dk200 2013

I believe both have the same start but follow different routes. They also share the same finish.

mtbr member
    Pretty much what I'll be rockin. Custom steel frame/fork built by my bff Jay here in Kansas. All she needs is a seat bag full of tools, and a tube or 2, perhaps a narrower front tire. But the Tomicog stays!

Dk200 2013-dsc03418.jpg
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I will be right there with you, but with 3x9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Something a little different, but still cool! When you come for the DK, make sure you leave your bottles and bladders empty, because Emporia has the best-tasting municipal water in the world. No, really!

Where does the world's best drinking water come from? | CNN Travel

mtbr member
    Thanks, but I think I'll stick to whiskey
    Registered pedalphile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast