mtbr member
    Sep 2008

DK 200 tubeless?

I'm pretty tubeless challenged so bear with me. I ride tubes and have no problem with them where I ride. I've had one flat in the last 8 months(it was yesterday), but I'm doing the Dirty Kanza so I'm thinking about going tubeless. For those with DK experience, does tubeless help with what the flint does to your tires? From what I understand it sounds like it slices them. Does that kind of damage seal well or is it just punctures? Is it worth the hasstle to switch over just for the DK?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7
    I'm pretty tubeless challenged so bear with me. I ride tubes and have no problem with them where I ride. I've had one flat in the last 8 months(it was yesterday), but I'm doing the Dirty Kanza so I'm thinking about going tubeless. For those with DK experience, does tubeless help with what the flint does to your tires? From what I understand it sounds like it slices them. Does that kind of damage seal well or is it just punctures? Is it worth the hasstle to switch over just for the DK?
    Not worth it in my opinion. I tried tubeless in the 2009 DK and still had flats that sealant didn't fix. That was with Hutchinson Pirrahna's which are tubeless ready. I've had flats using tubes in other DK's as well. Whichever you choose, just be prepared for multiple flats. It's just difficult to avoid them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    One problem w/ the Hutchinson's being tubeless ready only means that they have beefed up the bead. The Hutchinson's have a very supple sidewall, which is one of the reasons they are great CX race tires. It does not make them very resistant to sidewall cuts. The Schwalbe marathon series tires have more cut resistant sidewalls and are relatively easy to set up tubeless. I would prefer the 'ride' of a Hutchinson but my understanding is the DK200 riders should defer to cut resistance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13
    The Schwalbe marathon series tires have more cut resistant sidewalls and are relatively easy to set up tubeless.
    Have you ever run the Marathon Supremes Tubeless??

If so:
    What "system" for conversion (Ghetto, Gorilla or stans??)

and what rims?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I did two sets of wheels, one w/ stans alpha 340 rims w/ yellow tape and stans valve, the other w/ stans 29er 355 w/ yellow tape and Stan's valve. My wife and I are doing DK this year and I have set up her Schwalbe Duremes tubeless without any problems on the 340s. I did a regular wire bead Marathon set for me on the 355s. These set up a little harder due to the wire beads and getting the beads to initially 'pop' into the rim bead socket. I had to remove the core of the valve to get more airflow from my compressor. I wanted to check out the two tread patterns and decided to save some $$ initially by using the wire bead vs. the foldable marathon extremes. I assume the marathon extremes are very similar to the duremes so they should be easy to set up. I am running between 35-40psi on both sets. They have both performed very well w/ around 1000 miles over varying conditions(gravel, pavement, dirt) w/ no flats, but they weren't ridden on flinthills gravel.