≈ > ♥

DIY goo: Barley malt syrup?

I'm looking to make my own energy goo for racing/riding while in the middle of South Korea.
    Locally, it's quite difficult and expensive to find brown rice syrup (kind of defeats the purpose of making your own), though it's somewhat easier/cheaper to find barley malt syrup.

brown rice syrup:
    45% maltose, 3% glucose, and 52% maltotriose.

barley malt syrup:
    65% maltose, 30% complex carbohydrate, 3% protein

I'm curious how well the barley malt syrup will work/taste...
    Anyone used it before?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If it's the same malt extract used in homebrewing, it's really sweet, thick and incredibly sticky. I've never tried it as a replacement for gu but it's probably better than nothing. As usual, experiment with it before you rely on it - everybody tolerates different foods.

Adventure Mapper
    I tried a mix of brown rice syrup and honey that I got off a recommendation online. While it worked pretty ok for training rides, during my 6hr race (longer and faster than any aforementioned training ride), I got "slosh gut" where I staryed feeling a little bloat/nausea...the simple sugars simply don't digest fast enough for me. I backed off on the diy gel and took a hammer gel after a half hour of nothing (was trying to take a very small amount of diy gel in every 15min or so to keep the digestion going steady) and that helped a ton. My lesson learned? Buy a bunch of straight maltodextrin (main fuel ingredient in 99% of major mfg gels)and mix it with water (can be bought in bulk as a powder from brewing suppliers) to get the gel consisency. I haven't done this yet...still using the mfg gels at the moment, but my plan is to buy maltodextrin powder and make my own.
    One more thing is that I was keeping the gel in a flask holder on the bike frame as opposed to in my jersey pocket. In the pocket, it heats up from your body temp and flows out easier and may help it digest faster, but not sure about that. During the training rides, I usually kept the gel flask in my jersey, during the race it was on the bike. Your body may digest the simple sugars way faster than mine, but hope that helps.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

≈ > ♥
    Good info! Thanks!

Will see what I can come up with here...