Grip it and rip it.

New question here. Di2 gears for 24 hour racing.

I'd like to know if anyone here has experience with the Shimano Di2 gears for 24 hour racing, or any kind of mtb racing? The bike I'm looking at getting, a Cannondale FSI 1, comes with Di2, and one or two 24 hour races a season is usually my main target.

I have Di2 on my road bike an absolutely love the performance of it, and it's never let me down on a ride (apart from once or twice when the battery was running low due to me not charging it on time) . My only concern on the mtb is that a lot of racing over here is often very wet or muddy.

Any opinions (even if you have never used Di2) would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've used it for the past two seasons and would put it on every bike i have if i had that budget. Wet and mud are where it shines (no more gummed up cables). Have both 1x (full squish) and 2x (hardtail).

anything specific you're after?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Wet and muddy seems like where Di2 would excel, since it doesn't have to depend on spring tension.

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    I've used it for the past two seasons and would put it on every bike i have if i had that budget. Wet and mud are where it shines (no more gummed up cables). Have both 1x (full squish) and 2x (hardtail).

anything specific you're after?
    Thanks. Actually, racing in mud is one of my main concerns, over long duration races. I'm guessing that the mech will move even when the cassette and chain are starting to get clogged up with mud, which in my mind could lead to risk of the chain snapping. But - I've been using Di2 on the road for over 2 years now and no problems like that.

Have you used it for 24 hour solo races?

I would be on 1X hardtail (Cannondale FSI 1).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    Thanks. Actually, racing in mud is one of my main concerns, over long duration races. I'm guessing that the mech will move even when the cassette and chain are starting to get clogged up with mud, which in my mind could lead to risk of the chain snapping. But - I've been using Di2 on the road for over 2 years now and no problems like that.

Have you used it for 24 hour solo races?

I would be on 1X hardtail (Cannondale FSI 1).
    Yes! but I'm in the Rocky Mtn/Western US and we don't get much mud and if we do we're often not racing. Wettest was probably Breck 100 last year and the drivetrain didn't have any issues - I did though

My buddy (the guy we all know who breaks everything) has had trouble with di2 in cx due to mud and the derailleur bending his hangar - or at least that's the story. I'm always skeptical whenever something of his breaks as to the actual cause but it sort of makes sense. Cassette all gummed up, chain all gummed up and the thing not really wanting to shift but the derailleur moves... I could see it happening but I'm also pretty sure it wouldn't happen to most other people