mtbr member

Dear everyone outside of Georgia: Help me get faster ;-)

I've been riding mountain bikes since the 80s, racing (off and on) since the 90s... My forte is climbing. My Achilles heel is ripping through turns on the descents. In a typical Cat-2 XC race, I'm good for 2nd or 3rd... having passed the same guys 4-5 times on the climbs... and being passed by the same guys in the twisties. Fortunately for me, it's easier to pass climbing than descending... I actually hate holding guys up like that. I've let guys by who I KNOW are in my class. Not how I want to get on the podium.

For a while, I could blame some of my handling issues on my bike (not really) but now I know I can't - just got a Scalpel 29er Carbon 1. I have 4 or 5 rides on the bike and love it.

I'm 6'1", 180; running Racing Ralphs at 26psi... The Lefty was set during the fit, as was the rear shock

Assuming the the bike is dialed in (or close to it), help me understand why my front end is pushing. I'm aware of a few causes...
    - too much (any) front brake
    - crappy line, late apexing

Could I be too far forward on the bike - not the fit, just how I'm positioning my body? Too far back - unweighting the front tire?

I KNOW the bike is capable of much faster turns... it's me!

Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Any front brake in the turn is too much (I think you alluded to that). Besides that it may be your line or your reach.

For me (146 pounds - 5'7'') I run my tires at 23 PSI and run a 100mm -17 degree stem slammed all the way down. I like being low on the bike and I think it helps in the turns. That's just me though - not sure if this would help you or not. I've got to think that if you've been riding since the 80's, you should be pretty good at picking out lines.