mnoutain bkie rdier

Days off after hard endurance race??

I raced last Saturday. My body is thrashed. I went over the bars twice = cuts and bruises all over. I got stung by a bee on two separate occasions (not allergic, but itch like crazy...one on forehead and other on chest)

I have not looked at my bike since Sat. night. Today is Wed. Is it normal/OK to take 4 days off after a long event?
    Last edited by rydbyk; 06-16-2010 at 09:04 AM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Many people do it, specially if you did a very long race and your butt is too sore to seat on the saddle. A good thing to do is some light spinning or any other type of exercise to increase blood flow to your muscles and speed recovery; also stretch after this

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That is what makes the Trans Rockies so hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd definitely suggest some easy spinning today if you aren't too badly beat up physically from the crashes. It'll feel good.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot
    I'd definitely suggest some easy spinning today if you aren't too badly beat up physically from the crashes. It'll feel good.
    12 Hours of Temecula. Course got sooo rutted and I refused to walk any section :-)

I think you were racing that event too?

Yep...going for road ride today..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    12 Hours of Temecula. Course got sooo rutted and I refused to walk any section :-)

I think you were racing that event too?

Yep...going for road ride today..
    Got the opportunity to race on a great 4person women's team! Race/course was a blast. Lots of people went down I think. We lost two in our pit area to injury and I know another guy that was taken off with a massive hole in his elbow.

I did an easy spin on Sunday (though I didn't race solo or go down hard), and hit up crit practice last night. Pleasures of having alternating laps I guess

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I raced the 12hrs of Temecula as well....got back to the grind yesterday but still with recovery in mind (about 75%)

mnoutain bkie rdier

beez neez

Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot
    Got the opportunity to race on a great 4person women's team! Race/course was a blast. Lots of people went down I think. We lost two in our pit area to injury and I know another guy that was taken off with a massive hole in his elbow.

I did an easy spin on Sunday (though I didn't race solo or go down hard), and hit up crit practice last night. Pleasures of having alternating laps I guess

I wanted to be at "crit practice" last night but...my body said "nope". Anyone get stung by bees in your group? One bee went into my helmet...the other into my jersey...no bueno! I am sure it was entertaining to watch me freak out...

Yeh..the course was really fun..
    Last edited by rydbyk; 06-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I wanted to be at "crit practice" last night but...my body said "nope". Anyone get stung by bees in your group? One bee went into my helmet...the other into my jersey...no bueno! I am sure it was entertaining to watch me freak out...

Yeh..the course was really fun..
    I did not see/hear about any bee stings I don't think. Normally I'm the one that gets stung!

MTB B'dos
    As said, if your a$$ in hurting so bad to sit on the saddle stay off it and do some walking etc to help keep the legs from locking up and the blood flowing. If you can manage to get on the bike some very light spinning will help flush the legs. After leadville I couldn't sit on the saddle for over a week and that was 10 hours straight on the bike and the Laramie Enduro 2 weeks before and months of training long days in the saddle building up to it, so it had every right to protest
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

jms
    mtbr member

Depends on you/event

I have not looked at my bike since Sat. night. Today is Wed. Is it normal/OK to take 4 days off after a long event?
    Depends on you and the event. For me, some races I haven't been on the bike again for up to a week. And after other races, I've been riding the next day w/o much distress. All depends on much of a hole I dug for myself during that particular race.

Listen to your body, ride if you feel like it and don't if it's "not happening". You're not going to lose any fitness by taking 4-5 days off after a hundie/12 hr. race. Endurance racing is a bit different than XC racing, with experience you'll figure out what works best for you post race.

You might try some Benadryl for the bee stings - it'll cut down the itching.

And good job @ Temecula - I don't much care for that place.

mtbr member
    I try to get back on the next day or swim, but at a very low effort. Hot tubs help, so does a hot bath with epsom salts. I find a nice warm up and some light stretching helps too. Main thing is give yourself good food and rest, beer/wine/anything helps after the race as well.
    - 2016 Trek Farley 7
    - 2015 Salsa Fargo
    - Norco Brian Leech Trials

Members who have read this thread: 0