Grip it and rip it.

Cytosport products.. good / bad experiences with them?

Hi, i changed my protein drink to Monster Milk by Cytosport. (I know this drink isnt high in carbs, its more of a general protein shake, it does however have a lot more fiber than most). After looking on the website a lot more of there products look quite promising to me. Does anyone else use these? A product called Fast Twitch in particular grabbed my eye. Any comments on these? Thanks.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I used CytoCarb II with some good results. Flavorless, all carb, mix it with anything you want. Similar to products like CarboPro, but you can usually find this at a GNC store and score it pretty cheap with a GNC Gold Card. All my races went well as long as I had a nice supply of CCII coming in. It's when I ran out that I was reduced to a whimpering mass of suck.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I can drink the FastTwitch at the gym, but I can't when I ride. Yes, I have a [I]very[I] sensitive stomach. But honestly, I've totally switched over to Cytomax Orange (different formulas for the different colors of bottled sportsdrink) & Cytomax Protein.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi all, newbie here to MTBR but long time recreational mountain biker. I used Cytomax way back in the early nineties and it was really good stuff especially if you were on a ride that was about one to two and a half+ hours long. A some people who work at a triathlon store and a health food store both told me that Cytomax is a different formula nowadays. I have started training for endurance MTB events and would like to know if anybody can compare the recent Cytomax to the old Cytomax.
    Also, Dr. Endo (I love that screenname !) you sound like from the above posts you are happy with the current Cytomax, what type and how long of rides do you use it for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.endo
    I can drink the FastTwitch at the gym, but I can't when I ride. Yes, I have a [I]very[I] sensitive stomach. But honestly, I've totally switched over to Cytomax Orange (different formulas for the different colors of bottled sportsdrink) & Cytomax Protein.
    I've used orange Cytomax for a very long time and have found only one thing I like better. Long story short, I had some orange HEED that I couldn't stand because it didn't have any real flavor to it unless you mixed it too thick. Rather than throw it out, I tried just shy of a half scoop of HEED w/ a full scoop of Cytomax. Nice flavor, a lot more carbs, and I can still drink it. I found that if I were to just mix 1.5 scoops of Cytomax to get the same number of carbs, I don't like the flavor.

Oh, and if you mix orange HEED in w/ Perpetuem, it tastes like an Orange Julius.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    @noneed429er ...I use the bottled Cytomax for any ride distance. In the winter months I will sometimes stick with just water if I'm only doing around 20 road miles, but otherwise, I always have a bottle of Cytomax with me (along with aa bottle of water). Texas heat = lots of sweat!! The week before a race & also during a 12 or 24hr race, I will add in the Cytomax protein as well. This I have to cut in half with water or mix with the regular Cytomax. Only wish I could get these in other flavors like the powders. Not fond of the powders cuz they don't seem to stay mixed well & it doesn't take long for them to become concrete in the can.

@scooter2468 ....I was thinking of experimenting with the Perpetuem. Do you think it helps with the lactic acid like they claim?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.endo
    @scooter2468 ....I was thinking of experimenting with the Perpetuem. Do you think it helps with the lactic acid like they claim?
    I don't know if it helps w/ lactic acid or not, but I know that putting the HEED inhat at least made it palatable. For the Perp/HEED mix, I'd make up a 3 hr bottle, replacing one scoop of Perp w/ one scoop of HEED.

What I did find about Perp, however, is that 1) if it gets hot, I'd rather just bonk than drink the stuff, and 2) it absolutely doesn't work for high intensity efforts (at least not for me). All day putzing around at purely aerobic levels, never above the redline, it's okay. I like Sustained Energy better. Given that SE is flavorless and HEED is practically flavorless, mixing the two doesn't result in a more palatable drink. SE and orange Cytomax isn't too bad, but it's a little sweet.

Having said all that, after many months experimenting w/ all sorts of combos of Hammer products, I've concluded that while their stuff may be necessary for multi-day endurance events, for one day efforts I'd prefer Cytomax or Cytomax/HEED and gels for my energy source. I suppose it's because no matter the distance for a one day event I'm still gonna redline it a time or two and the drinks w/ too much protein just don't seem to work at those levels of intensity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Dr Endo, I live in Las Vegas NV so I can identify with you about sweating in the heat. Although everyone out here says "but it's a dry heat". well 118 degrees is still 118 even if the humidity is low! It is like riding in a convection oven.
    I will start trying the Cytomax again, hopefully it will still work well in buffering the lactic acid and replacing electrolites.

Now broadcasting from CO
    This may be just a personal thing, but Cytomax always threw my stomach for a loop on any races over 2hrs long. I find that Hammer products worked better for my digestive system... just a personal thing.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i'll second the HEED/perp mix. Orange flavor in both mixed taste great. Too much perp is hard to take for shorter rides for me, but a 3+ hour ride I like it. I recently did a 7 hour ride and took too much perp and I felt bloated and just not right in the stomach. I didn't drink enough plain water and I think I didn't flush (pee) my system enough with the plain water.

Back to topic, i've used the orange cytomax a couple times on 2-4 hour rides and liked it, seemed to help a tad with lactic acid build up pain. One thing I didn't like about it is how it dries like concrete if you spill any of it on your frame, etc..