mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Cytomax for 12 hour or 100 mile races

I tend to have stomach issues in 12 hour solo races as well as 100 milers. I have tried with varying degrees of success or failure to eat solid foods and mix in some Hammer products containing protein.

I am thinking of trying just Cytomax and some solid foods during long training rides to see how that does for me. Has anyone had success with this type of combo?

I read that Jeff Kerkove uses a concentrated Cytomax mix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Your plan to try Cytomax on long training rides sounds good, and is the only way you will know if it works.

Cytomax doesn't work for me for enduros, even in normal dilute form. But metabolisms and tastes vary wildly. The Hammer stuff, including perpetuem, work great for me.

Have you tried Heed + solids?

Another option might be the Infinit liquid products.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride
    I tend to have stomach issues in 12 hour solo races as well as 100 milers. I have tried with varying degrees of success or failure to eat solid foods and mix in some Hammer products containing protein.

I am thinking of trying just Cytomax and some solid foods during long training rides to see how that does for me. Has anyone had success with this type of combo?

I know the fun of stomach problems. I used Cytomax for a couple year since it was the only thing that seem to get me through races but I still needed to add food,gels etc tot eh mix to get the energy needed for long races.

Check out Infinit,

i made my praise to it in the "anything besides Hammer" thread. It works, it tastes great, even warm, I have had no energy loss with it with all the different formulas and my stomach agrees with it. I'm lactose intolerant plus a few other stomach issues and Infinit works for me.

Trying not to sound like a sponsered **** but I also won't promote something that I can't actually use.
    Last edited by Matt 24 solo; 01-29-2009 at 06:43 PM.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride
    I use the concentrated mix only when I have a bladder of water on my back....such as in the recent 104 miler in SW Utah last week. I simply take a small sip of the Cytomax....and then wash it down with a big gulp of fresh water. All last season for all my races, including the Leadville 100, I used Cytomax in its normal dosage. In reality, it comes down what works for you. I have used Hammer....Cytomax....and Infinit. All work as directed. I'd give the nod to Infinit if you are looking for one fuel source. I used it for a month until I ran out....and loved it for long rides. I never got hungry or had to eat solids. You need to listen to your gut when you ride and see what jives with you. And for the record, I buy all my Cytomax and other nutritional items.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Good advice from everyone. I did try Heed but could not get past the taste. E-load was good for shorter efforts but past about 4 hours seems to contribute to stomach issues.

I will take a look at the Infinit. Thanks

mtbr member
    I mix Perpetuem with Cytomax to try and mask the normally nasty Perpetuem taste. With Fresh Apple Cytomax, it actually isn't too bad!

But of course, it all boils down to what you and your stomach can tolerate.

Here's what I took at my last 12 hour. Ended up doing 10 laps.

22oz water or Cytomax (every lap)
    16oz Cytomax/Perpetuem Mix (1/2 every lap)
    Clif Bars (2nd, 4th laps)
    Clif Blox (5th, 7th laps)
    Misc Gel (8th, 9th laps)
    Salt Stick Tablets (1 every lap)

And in between some laps.
    Pickle Juice Sport (1 bottle total, 6th, 7th, 8th lap)
    Some party mix (8th, 9th, 10th lap)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    In my 12 hour races I've used Cytomax. I rarely finish more than like 13-15oz a lap. The first two were in hot conditions and for the most part I actually wound up not drinking much Cytomax at all because ALL I wanted was water.

I take a sip or two of Perpetuem between laps.

Basically on the bike with me is Cytomax (1 bottle 1.5 scoops) and water (1 bottle) and my gel flask. I usually would take 1/2 shot at the beginning and 1/2 mid-way through a lap.

Perpteum and solid food in between (half a PB&J or half a bar, a few Shot Bloks or half a bag of Sport Beans, sometimes a fruit leather).

Later in the day I'd look forward to a swig or 5 of Coke and a Snickers.

It's difficult enough to race all day and stay hydrated, but I never tried to eat much on the bike. I'd just throw back some food in like a 2-3 minute pit stop and head back out.

I like Cytomax and use it on my all-day rides, though. Will be using tomorrow for my own solo endurance ride

mtbr member

50 / 50

Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream cookies...50% fat and 50% sugar for long and short term energy and at, what, $2 a box they work great on long rides

mtbr member
    Lol. Nice, I love 'Little Nasties'. I'm just afraid of thickening my blood with all those saturated fats, and giving myself a heart attack during the race.

Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream cookies...50% fat and 50% sugar for long and short term energy and at, what, $2 a box they work great on long rides

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I too have a very sensative stomach. Solid food is not my friend. Cytomax is the only sports drink that works for me. In addition, during endurance races, water, V8 smoothie, strawberries/blackberries, and pumpkin bread with some gu gels thrown in periodicly is what works for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Carbo Pro or CytoCarb II

If you like Cytomax you might check out the Cytomax CytoCarb II™. It's tastless 100% complex carbo hdydrates. I used Carbo Pro (and love it) but JUST bought CytoCarb II today, since it was on sale at GNC and with Gold Cards, etc. I got it SUPER cheap. Looks to be the same stuff, or close enough for my mid pack ass.

I love it because it's tasteless and you can add it to anything or just use it plain. I add mine to powdered Gatorade or Heed to get electrolytes and carbs.

Good luck took me a a long time to find something that didn't "reappear" on my top tube later in the race"!
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    I may not be the best resource on this, but I wanted to put my 2c out there. I have not raced either 12 hour races or 100 mile mtb rides. I do ride several centurys and rode a 162 mile rode ride.

I have found that not all mixes work for me. I love using Cytomax. It has worked the best for me. I admit I have not tried a lot of the hammer stuff yet, but I have used Acceleraid for a while and had some of my worst performances with that. I actually rode worse then I would with plain water.

One thing I noticed with cytomax is if I use too much early in the ride and don't have any for the end, my energy really drops off. I try not to supplement plain water too early in the ride, but you also don't want to wait too long.

Best bet is to give it a good try on some training rides and see what it does. Definitely don't make any changes right before or during a big event.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    After 6-7 hours Cytomax no longer is doing it for me. Upset stomach using normal mix concentrations. I started to take antacids to combat this...helped some but not completely. Friend told me about Hammer Pertpetuem. I followed their website guildlines and had no issues at Leadville last year. I'm sold on Hammer now!

mtbr member
    HEED...

"HEED!" was the sound I made when I threw it up during the Shenandoah 100...I'll never touch that krapp again (I was at their mercy with only two drop bags allowed).

Cytomax works great for me.

R