Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Just go ride!

CTR 2008 starts!

23 racers started this years rendition of the Colorado Trail Race! A huge thanks to Marni Plesko for gathering all the names, handing out all the SPOTs, and starting off the racers. She also took some pictures of the racers, and I will post those as soon as I can. Also a big round of applause for Matthew Lee and the TD racers that sent me their SPOT units to use for the CTR. I'll call 'em out by name in my next post.

The 2008 CTR started at 12:04 this afternoon (7/28), so I would expect to hear from the front runners around noon tomorrow in Frisco or Copper. Maybe sooner considering the strength of this year's field! Hopefully the SPOT Leaderboard will give us some good spectating, although not all of the racers are carrying SPOTs. We should also hear from all the racers via Joe Polk MTBcasting the callins, and some may be sending text messages via cellphone to Twitter - username: CTR2, passwd: rideyourassoff

And without further ado, here is the list of starters: (updated regularly with call-in info)

Ethan Passant -- Finishes on 8/2 @ 14:30 for the win and a new CTR record of 5d02h26m
    Jason Shelman (SS) -- Finishes second on 8/2 @ 15:53 with a time of 5d03h49m
    Chris Plesko (SS) -- Finishes third on 8/2 @ 18:31 for a time of 5d06h27m
    Jeff Oatley -- Finishes on 8/3 @ 11:51 for a time of 5d23h47m
    Brad Kee -- Finishes on 8/3 @ 16:10 for a time of 6d04h06m
    Trish Stevenson -- Finishes on 8/4 @ 13:50 as the first ever female finisher in 7d01h46m
    Dan Montgomery -- Finishes on 8/4 @ 18:49 for a time of 7d06h45m
    Dennis Helton -- Finishes on 8/4 @ 19:04 for a time of 7d07h00m
    Matt Fusco -- Finishes on 8/5 @ 15:18 for a time of 8d03h14m
    Marshal Bird -- Suffers a serious crash warranting a trip to the ER on 8/5 only 40 miles from Durango
    Eddie Turkaly -- 8/5 @ 09:24 crashes out before Durango
    Chris Neumann -- 8/3 @ 13:10 reluctantly throws in the towel
    Doug Johnson -- 8/1 @ 18:49 pulls out at Hwy. 114 - knees exploding
    Pete Basinger -- 8/1 @ 19:23 bails out - sick of hike-a-bike
    Chuck Ray -- 8/1, not enough time at this pace. Returning to Nederland.
    Curtis Burge -- 8/1 @ 13:33, checking out at Cottonwood Hot Springs
    Tim Graczyk (Fixed Gear!) -- 8/1 @ 08:06, heading home from B.V.
    Jim Ishman (SS) -- 7/31 @ 22:18 pulls out in Leadville
    Dave Nice (Fixie!) -- 7/31 @ 15:11, calls it quits near Copper
    Keith Eckstein -- 7/31 @ 15:08 Out - stomach flu or food poisoning in Frisco
    Alison Gannet -- 7/30 @ 06:56 out. E. Coli infection!
    Kyle Stone -- 7/30 @ 12:39, Pulling the plug at Kenosha Pass
    Travis Butler (SS) -- 7/29 @ 13:20, Pulling the plug in Tarryall due to jacked up knees.

Pre-race pictures.

Anyone want to help with the others?
    0051, 0052 - Alison Gannet
    0053 - Dave Nice
    0054, 0055 - Dave Nice and ??
    0059, 0060 - Travis Butler
    0061, 0062 - Matt Fusco
    0063, 0064 - Jeff Oatley
    0065, 0066 - Jim Ishman
    0069, 0070 - Kyle Stone
    0071, 0072 - Chris Neumann
    0073,0074 - Chuck Wray
    0075 - Jason Shelman
    0076, 0077 - Marshal Bird
    0082 - Chris Plesko and others

That's a tremendous showing - over twice as many as last year, with three return pain seekers! I can't wait to watch this one!

On a slightly personal note, and the reason why I missed the pre-race mtg and start, it is very fitting that since I came out of last year's CTR ready to have kids that my first one should be born on this year's CTR start date! A happy, healthy boy, and a good omen for all of this year's racers. Go get 'em guys!!!
    Last edited by Stefan_G; 08-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Stefan congratulations to both your wife and yourself on this very happy day . A future racer perhaps .

Cheers and may all three of you sleep well in the coming months , Andy
    just put me back on my bike

Category Winner
    That's where Crazy Dennis Helton is right now.
    I wondered why he wasn't at ORAMM this last weekend.

Go Dennis and Trish!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

Student of the Bike
    Anyone know whats up with the SPOT "dots" not being available for the passed 12 hrs?
    Thanks,
    CJB

Grizzly
    Congrats Stefan!

Go CTR Riders!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    See you at the start line next year!

mtbr member
    I hope to be toeing the line there next season also!

Enduro Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Anyone know whats up with the SPOT "dots" not being available for the passed 12 hrs?
    Thanks,
    CJB
    We got word from SPOT that they were upgrading their shared page functionality yesterday/last night and the pages (and therefore the leaderboard) will be up sometime today. They are a west coast company as well, so that ought to effect the time it goes back up.

Just bad timing that the service upgrade coincided with the start of the CTR.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Congrats Stefan! Another future endurance racer is born! I dunno if Matthew's baby has arrived, anyone know? Hmmm could it be Stefan's son FTW!?
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

mtbr member
    23 racers in the 2nd year is amazing. Makes my ITT seem really lonely by comparision. I may be forced to ride it each year if it becomes a group ride!!! I think Jefe's record could be in trouble with all the competition out there.

Go Dave Nice Go- finishing is your only option brother. I am following your blue dot (when visible) any chance I get. I may even try to show up for a little ride/pep talk if I can find you.

Cheers to all you out there- I hope you have tailwinds, partly cloudy weather and friendly trail magic to help your journey.

Congrats Stefan on the baby- custom Moots ti trailer on the way with formula in the tubes? You could theoretically break the father/son CTR record you know!!

Mark

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 13:20, Travis Butler in Tarryall

This is Travis Butler, callin' from Tarryall. I'm pullin' the plug. I've got a couple of jacked up knees. Good time, but uhh, next time I'm going to, umm, have some gears, instead of just one. So, anyway, just letting you all know.

Bummer, Travis. I was rooting for ya! I hope you still have a great vacation in Colorado and maybe get to ride a bit more of the trail in a few days! BTW, everyone, I am going to keep updating/editing the first post in this thread to reflect callins as I get them. --Stefan
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Scott in Tucson
    Thanks for the update Stefan/Marni, and to ML / KM for the SPOT setup. I like the map display with wilderness detours shown.

23 and some strong names in there. We'll see how much the weather allows these guys push it this year.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Just go ride!

SPOT loaners

A big thanks to all the TDers that loaned out their SPOTs!

Matthew Lee
    Kevin Montgomery
    Geoff Roes
    Mary Collier
    Andy Buchanan
    Felix Wong
    Adrian Stingaciu
    Ardie Olson
    Stephen Gleasner
    Leighton White
    Mike Dion

When Marni handed 'em out at the start, everyone who wanted one got one, and there was only one left over! Now if only SPOT would get their shared page fixed!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    A happy, healthy boy, and a good omen for all of this year's racers. Go get 'em guys!!!
    Congrats! Thanks for your hard work on this project, makes us couch-racers that much more tuned in. Its really cool to watch the progress (Cmon Spot! ) as the race develops.

My wife and I were expecting our baby boy on Sunday, but we're still waiting. Maybe we will have CTR bookending babies, yours at the start and mine when someone finishes in the next few days.

Good luck (and weather) to all you racers, I am in awe.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 15:05, Ethan Passant in Copper

Hey, it's Ethan Passant. I'm in Copper... Later!

Ethan appears to be out front, blazing the path for the others!

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 16:26, Doug Johnson in Frisco

Hi, this is Doug Johnson calling in from Frisco. Been here for awhile, umm, restin', eatin', so forth. Things are going pretty well I guess. Got a little dehydrated going to Buffalo Creek, but after I made it to the water, the detour went much better than the ride there, and had to leap-frog all the vampires that rode through the night. And... pretty hard ride from Kenosha to Gold Hill, but now I'm refueling and gonna tackle that 7 miles of bike path over to Copper Mountain, and I'll prolly call you later.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 17:00, Chris Plesko in Copper

Hey everybody, this is Chris. It is just before 5 o'clock and everything's been going good. The riding today was definitely tough, but I'm having a good time and gonna get some food and then, uh, take off and see how far I can get tonight. Alright, that's about all I got. Bye.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

go ethan

Damn just got home from work and still no leader board! They're killing me.

Ethan looks to be in form! A little surprising considering his lead up to the CTR. Mtn bike race on Thursday night right into 3 days of road racing at the Omnium in Salida and then starting the CTR on Monday!
    We picked him up in Salida on the way to Denver. His crit had just finished in a downpour. He toweled off in the parking lot, rinsed his chamois out in the Arkansas river and jumped in the car, announcing his excitement for the CTR. freak.

Anyway I'm glad the weather settled some today. It rained the whole way home on hwy 285 yesterday and the area around buff creek looked pretty black

jason

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm posting to the Twitter page when I can.

Doug and Chris are in Copper Mtn!
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 17:53, Doug Johnson in Copper

Hey, it's Doug Johnson calling in from Copper Ethan was the only person in front, but it looks like while I was vacationing in Frisco, a few people jumped ahead of me. I'll try to make it up to leadville tonight and see how that goes. Tell Sarah I rode with the guy who rode the cruiser bike in the new belgium TB commercial, but he wasn't on a cruiser bike, he was on a real mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    JP, thanks for updating the twitter as well as the mtbcast.

KP

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 20:18, Pete Basinger, Jeff Oatley and Jason Shelman in Copper

Hey this is Pete Basinger. I'm calling in from Copper Mountain. I'm with Jeff Oatley and Jason Shelman. And uh, yeah, weather's great! We're gonna keep going tonight. We spent a couple hours in Frisco, we got pretty hammered on the way here - just with the heat and the trail is pretty tough... But we're having a good time, the trail's pretty fun. That's it. Bye.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 20:37, Trish Stevenson, Brad Kee in Frisco

Hey boys and girl listening in. Trish calling, I'm with Mr. Brad Kee after a long day riding with Dennis finally caught up to Kee. We are having dinner in Frisco. That was one of *the* most spectacular days I've had on a bike! Wicked singletrack from glimpses that I remember from the 100. It is awesome. I got a full 10 hour sleep last night, which was awesome. Went to bed at 9, got up at 6 which felt really good. I think we're gonna... might, press on a little further. Hope everyone is well out there and we'll talk to ya soon. Alright. Ciao.

Boy, what can I say?! So glad to have a helping hand in someone's most spectacular days on a bike! Keep truckin' Trish!

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 21:23, Alison Gannet in Frisco

Hi this is Alison Gannet calling in from Frisco. I actually arrived here at 6:30 and I'm looking forward to shacking up for the night. Saw lots of cool riders last night. Saw Trish and Brad from North Carolina at Gooseberry campground. Rode with Greg from Durango for much of last night, and probably saw like 10 other people yesterday. And, anyway, thanks for all the support and I'll talk to you later.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 22:29, Dennis Helton in Frisco

Yo this is Dennis from bio wheels (?) I'm in Frisco. Had the best ride of my life, Colorado Trail rocks. Colorado Trail Foundation, thank you for a wonderful job, and uh they fed (?) me well. Uh, yeah that's about it. later.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 22:54, Ethan Passant in Leadville

Hello there this is Ethan again, made it to Leadville. See ya.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/29 @ 22:56, Brad Kee in Copper

Hey this is Brad Kee. I'm in Copper. 11 o'clock Tuesday Evening.

mtbr member
    Trish, Brad, and Dennis are all friends of mine. Sweet to see/hear their reports, I was talking to Trish before she left and it was funny to see her pre-race mania. If they think they're having fun now, wait until they get into Seg 13 and beyond...personally, the sweet fast ST in 13/14 followed by EVERYTHING from 15 to Durango was the absolute bomb...if I was racing, however, I'd be super happy to be taking that Cinammon Pass detour.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

From the Twitter board

CTR2 This morning: Alison Gannett calls back and after a visit to the ER she's out! Massive bronchial infection. Get well soon, Alison! 37 minutes ago from web

Feel Better Alison

KP

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Allison sorry to hear that . It has taken me over a month to get over a similar sickness . Great race up to here . Also sorry to hear that Travis had to pull the plug . There is always next year . Everybody else ride hard and smile big .

Andy
    Last edited by walkre73; 07-30-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    just put me back on my bike

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 06:56, Alison out

Hi this is Alison Gannet calling in and I've got some bad news to report. I'm battling a bronchitis infection getting worse yesterday coming into Frisco and then uh last night I started peeing blood and so I started peeing blood and so I went to the ER and I've got a massive infection. So I'm so sad and I was really looking forward to continuing the race but it looks like it's not in the cards with my body right now and umm I'm looking forward to battling with Trish for the women's record and looks like that's not gonna happen as well. Oh well, ya gotta respect your body when it's telling you something so good luck to everyone out there and thanks to everybody supporting and I'm really bummed that I'm not going to be riding today.

Dang, that sucks Alison! I sure hope your body recovers OK, and I'm so glad you had access to medical services!! And don't worry, the CT isn't going anywhere... --Stefan

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 08:03, Dan Montgomery in Copper

Hey this is Dan Montgomery checking in from Copper Mountain, about 8 o'clock. So one rider all day yesterday, that was Curtis. That was a good day! A little cold sleeping last night. Made it down to west ridge - did that in the dark - my home turf. That was fun... cold night. Got 20 in this morning already and going over Copper! Later.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 08:31, Chris Plesko in Leadville

Hey everybody, this is Chris Plesko. I'm here in Leadville. It's 8:30 on saaa... not Saturday, Wednesday morning. I had a pretty good night last night. Me and Doug hooked up outside of Copper there and rode over Searle pass and that really high ridge over Kokomo too. That was pretty epic sitting up above 12,300 at 10:30 at night! And bivied at Camp Hale for a bit and took off this morning. I expect he'll call in in a minute. Other than that, doing good, gonna get some kind of food here in town and push on to Buena Vista.

Rock on, Chris! Go get Ethan! --Stefan

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 09:50, Doug Johnson in Leadville

Hey this is Doug Johnson calling in. I'm getting ready to leave Leadville. Me and Chris spent 2 or 3 hours hiking above tree line last night. I think I left my legs up there on Kokomo pass. I feel pretty horrible today. But, umm, head to Buena Vista and see how it goes from there. Bye.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    It seems Chris still lives in the land of perpetual Saturdays, even while he's racing!

Spots seem to be back up! Yay!

Marni
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Blue Dot Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    It seems Chris still lives in the land of perpetual Saturdays, even while he's racing!

Spots seem to be back up! Yay!

Marni
    ...and he's hauling the mail!
    Go Chris!
    I own and work at Hub Cyclery, Idyllwild CA

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 11:07, Ethan Passant in Buena Vista

Hello there this is Ethan. Calling in from BV. Things are going well. Talk to ya in Silverton.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 11:31, Tim Graczyk in Copper

Hello this is Tim Graczyk. and I am at the Copper Conoco. It is Wednesday monring, 11:31. I am having fun... I slept on Georgia Pass last night. It was a bit cold but very scenic. Uh, yeah... I'm just trying to ride it on through so I'll call you from Leadville.

giddy up!
    Is it just me....or are those guys just absolutely flying?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just posted the latest call-ins via podcast. Lots of calls today! And yes, they are movin'!
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Is it just me....or are those guys just absolutely flying?

B
    Well, you are really slow, but yeah, they be doin ok.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 12:39, Kyle Stone pulls the plug at Kenosha Pass

Hello, this is Kyle Stone calling from near Kenosha Pass. I've decided to pull the plug. I definitely overestimated my abilities and underestimated the toughness of this race. Anyway, the trail was hot, Monday was a fairly decent day. Got pretty dehydrated though and had a rough time recovering yesterday at the Hayman fire area along the Tarryall Detour so I just felt like I kept going down hill and uh really took it out of me. So I ended up getting to Kenosha Pass and decided to pull the plug. Everyone who's toed up to that starting line oughtta feel good about it and those that are still going keep pedaling strong and we'll be watching ya. So have a great ride, and we'll be watching ya.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 12:50, Jeff Oatley in Leadville

This is Jeff Oatley calling from Leadville. Rode in about noon with Pete and Jason and ??? Had a beautiful morning on the trail getting ready to roll out of town cover some more miles. Cover some more miles. That's all. Bye.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 13:23, Brad Kee in Leadville

Hey, this is Brad Kee in Leadville. 1:20 oh, when's the day... uhh, later.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 14:04, Chuck Wray, Chris Neumann, Eddie Turkaly, Matt Fusco in Frisco

Hey, Chuck Wray calling in. Just ate in Frisco. Looking to head out to copper. Caught up with everyone who's here at the end. Having a beer drinking contest. And whoever can get out of here. They're in the front... (garbled)

Nuemann calling in from Frisco. Sitting here having food. (laughs)

This is Eddie Turkaly in Frisco as well eating my second meal.

Matt Fusco here. Only one with a beer in his hand. Gonna be here for a bit, then we're gonna try to go over Tennessee Pass tonight. Later.

Enduro Freak
    Leaderboard is back up

http://www.tourdivide.org/ctr/leaderboard

Looks like Travis Butler is pulling away

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sizlinseagulsoup
    Leaderboard is back up

http://www.tourdivide.org/ctr/leaderboard

Looks like Travis Butler is pulling away
    Nah, Travis Butler is sitting in his hammock using wifi at the KOA with ice on his knees. I'm glad I stopped when I did. I think I'll recover just fine in a couple more days but if I would have kept going it would have been bad news bears for long term riding. It's wierd, I've been riding exclusively on a rigid SS for almost 4 years now and haven't had this much trouble. Then again, I've never tried riding up mountain passes with 28 pounds of food/water/gear either! I'm getting a geared bike for this sort of thing.
    Good luck to everyone out there! Keep on keeping on...

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 15:18, Chris Plesko in B.V.

Hey everybody, this is Chris Plesko. I won the Buena Vista city limits sprint at 3:11 uncontested! That was a good time... Anyway, segment 11 was pretty awesome - the detour was fine. Didn't really do much on the SS, just coasted down and tried to spin as fast as possible and now I'm gonna get some food and keep on keeping on. Alright, talk to ya'll a little later.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 15:43, Trish Stevenson in Leadville

Hey Joe. Calling in. It is 3:43 Colorado time. Rolled in prolly about 1... after 1, something like that. Little dusty as you can see. Major road construction on that detour (cough) trying to cough it up... Good day - got a shower, dried out my bag, ran into Mr. Kee again. Seein' if any other Carolinians show up. But umm, it's been good. Got some new shoes sent to me that will be better for hike-a-bike, but umm, the passes were beautiful. Alright. Over and out.

Just go ride!

Call-in: 7/30 @ 15:50, Curtis Burge in Copper

Hey there this is Curtis Burge calling in from Copper Moutain about 10 to 4. Everything is going along just great. Slow... And, uh, doing good. See ya in Leadville. Bye, bye.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast