Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616

    CTR '07 - Results and Stories

    Here are the results for the inaugural Colorado Trail Race!
    5d05h30m - Jefe Branham
    5d05h50m - Stefan Griebel
    6d00h17m - Ethan Passant
    6d04h51m - Jason Trimm
    6d21h55m - Fred Wilkinson
    7d05h15m - Matthew Lee

    DNF, ~475 miles - Mark Caminiti
    DNF, ~275 miles - Dan Montgomery
    DNF, ~100 miles - Dave Nice (Fixed gear)
    DNF, ~30miles - Jim Ishman (Singlespeed)

    Let's also use this thread to post any trip reports, pictures, stories, comments, or links to reports since the other thread is so cluttered! A huge and personal congratulations to all of you that finished this monster! Also, thanks to all who attempted, helped out, or just followed along.

    The Colorado Trail is hard in some places, easy in others, beautiful for it's entire length, and takes an incredible amount of work to maintain. In fact, there is no government agency that maintains the trail - it was solely created and maintained through a network of volunteers organized by the Colorado Trail Foundation. In the absence of any registration or entrance fee for the CTR, I am encouraging each and every racer and spectator to donate either some time or money to the Colorado Trail Foundation. It doesn't have to be a lot, but I think it would be a great token of appreciation for the fact that we have this great trail to ride and race on! Not only that, the CTF is definitely in need of representation from more mountain bikers! If we want to continue to have access to this trail, it is important that we stay involved!

    Stefan Griebel
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trail717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    445
    Very Impressive riding/racing by all!!!!!!!!!!

    Looking forward to some posts, pictures, links ect on this new thread
    ---------------
    me have blog

    forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

  3. #3
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,781

    Good job! SG Mega thanks!

    You gotta roll down to Denver so I can buy yah a beer or some whiskey

    A side note I gave my camping hammock its frist acid test on the CT and I'm going to be playing with that setup because its the best night of sleep I've had on the trail in a long time....

    But maybe it was the lack of sleep a few nights before?

    Matt and I had flats almost the same time getting to light rail on are way down to the pre race meeting. Maybe it was a sgin for me?

    I may try and give the ct another go before fall sets in to hard. Nice to put and few names/ nicknames/faces togather.

    Super fun!
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  4. #4
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    855

    great job

    You guys certainly have my respect. The trail brings back memories of when a buddy of mine and I started out on the Colorado Trail several years ago - must have been around...1990 - give or take. We were more loaded down than you guys as we weren't racing - we shared a tent and had cooking gear. Our stuff was loaded onto racks for the most part. We spent one night on the trail and then going down some log steps, my buddy's back axle broke under the load. We limped into Bailey and called a friend for a ride home. The next few days we hit a couple of trail highlights around Summit and Lake counties.
    I'd be interested to hear about your mechanicals.
    Last edited by cocavaak; 07-31-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: consumerbydesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    913
    For me this was not a race, it was a test run. I really look forward to doing this again. My concern is having the trail shut down. I did`nt see any horses and only a handfull of hikers. Now they talk of closing it to bikers, that is whacked.Sounds like the same folks who have mismanaged the forests in the name of enviornment. Please write a paper letter and send it here, http://cdtrail.org/page.php
    I think the race should be held earlier. All this talk of rain is not good on the Colorado Trail. If we have a little more snow to walk on or a few puddles we can walk around{etiquette}, that would be better then stories of riding the CT in the rain.
    Next is the Lost Creek detour. This is not an out of hand bunch of city slickers. These racers will obey the law. If it is legal, shouldering the bike[wheels off} would be a nice edition. The 75 mile detour is a great ride I could do without. To make up for it throw in the Wheeler trail over the Ten Mile range.bla
    This is a dream ride people should not be afraid to enter into. There is much civilization along the way for the first half. Lurkers here probly want some great stories to maybe gain some knowledge, all I can say is it can`t be grasped by reading. Magnitude dude. Day 1, 3pm ride seg. 1,2 3, sleep, Day 2, ride Lost crk detour Georgia pass to tiger road, sleep. Day 3 West Ridge, copper Mtn to Leadville. Almost quit, hotel{ouch}. Day 4, Leadville to Princeston Hot Springs{best day}.Day 5? Ride down to Hwy 50 start climbing into the abyss. I quit at the 95 hour make, one hour shy of 4 days. If my bike was a horse I would`of shot it, how`s that for a mechanical. I had way too much stuff and never enough food. The finishers have things dialed in. Try the race, find your weakness, try again. Dan.

  6. #6
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    You gotta roll down to Denver so I can buy yah a beer or some whiskey

    A side note I gave my camping hammock its frist acid test on the CT and I'm going to be playing with that setup because its the best night of sleep I've had on the trail in a long time....

    But maybe it was the lack of sleep a few nights before?

    Matt and I had flats almost the same time getting to light rail on are way down to the pre race meeting. Maybe it was a sgin for me?

    I may try and give the ct another go before fall sets in to hard. Nice to put and few names/ nicknames/faces togather.

    Super fun!
    Glad you had a good time, despite wrecking and having to drop out! Healing OK? I still just can't imagine trying to do the CT on a fixie. Sargents Mesa would just be impossible... I think I could hike the whole thing faster!

    I had some great sleep along the trail too! Normally, it takes me ages to fall asleep, but by the second and third days, I could just sit or lie down and fall asleep instantly!!!

    My hands are still kinda messed up though. Still haven't started a write-up either, although I know I'll get around to it sooner or later.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    In the absence of any registration or entrance fee for the CTR, I am encouraging each and every racer and spectator to donate either some time or money to the Colorado Trail Foundation. It doesn't have to be a lot, but I think it would be a great token of appreciation for the fact that we have this great trail to ride and race on!
    Just donated at the "Partner" level. Unfortunately, there is no where in their donation process to send them a note. I wanted to let them know that I appreciate being able to mountain bike the trail.

    FYI: not that it should be the only reason to donate, but your donation is tax deductible.

    Thanks Stefan!

    Cheers,
    Chris Piper

  8. #8
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes
    Just donated at the "Partner" level. Unfortunately, there is no where in their donation process to send them a note. I wanted to let them know that I appreciate being able to mountain bike the trail.

    FYI: not that it should be the only reason to donate, but your donation is tax deductible.

    Thanks Stefan!

    Cheers,
    Chris Piper
    Fantastic!! Thanks, Chris!!

    If you want to include a note as well, you can send to the address below. I received a letter from Bill Manning just before the CTR wishing me good luck in the race! That was quite a pleasant surprise from the typical anti-race sentiments we've gotten from the BLM over the past year. Mentioning that you decided to donate because of the CTR will only help our position as cyclists even more!

    Colorado Trail Foundation
    c/o Bill Manning
    710 Tenth St #210
    Golden, CO 80401
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  9. #9
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    Here are the results for the inaugural Colorado Trail Race!

    Stefan Griebel
    Hmmm, finally someplace I can effectively and simply congratulate everyone who started the race this year. Awesome job everyone and special props to the top three finishers

    Maybe Jefe will still be recovering Sept. 8th so he doesn't ss VT125

    Stefan, thanks for taking on the leadership mantle and showing us the way.

    Ed

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    192
    Great race! Glad MTBCast could provide the audio. I hope next year to put more into it. It was fun to cover. Maybe I can be there for the start next year!

    Stefan,
    I neglected to give a mention about the donation to the CT Foundation. I will do that on my next show and post Bill's address in the show notes as well.
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

  11. #11
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by consumerbydesign
    For me this was not a race, it was a test run. I really look forward to doing this again. My concern is having the trail shut down. I did`nt see any horses and only a handfull of hikers. Now they talk of closing it to bikers, that is whacked.Sounds like the same folks who have mismanaged the forests in the name of enviornment. Please write a paper letter and send it here, http://cdtrail.org/page.php
    I'll do that, and I hope others do too!

    Quote Originally Posted by consumerbydesign
    I think the race should be held earlier. All this talk of rain is not good on the Colorado Trail. If we have a little more snow to walk on or a few puddles we can walk around{etiquette}, that would be better then stories of riding the CT in the rain.
    Turns out that earlier this year would have been better. However, last year, I was on the trail from 7/28-8/4, and only had 1 day (out of 8) of rain. And in '05, Searle to Kokomo was nearly impassable until the very last week of July. And Breck to Copper was even worse! By impassable, I mean thigh-deep post holing. It's really a crap shoot, but there's no question that the weather this year was less than desirable!
    Quote Originally Posted by consumerbydesign
    Next is the Lost Creek detour. This is not an out of hand bunch of city slickers. These racers will obey the law. If it is legal, shouldering the bike[wheels off} would be a nice edition. The 75 mile detour is a great ride I could do without. To make up for it throw in the Wheeler trail over the Ten Mile range.bla
    Yep, you are not alone in this sentiment. Alison and Jim had conflicting responses from the NFS, and I asked the NFS guy along the trail near Copper Mountain and got another I don't know. The written law states that it is illegal to simply possess a mtb, which is why the course was changed in the first place. I'll certainly look into this more "officially" for next year, but I think everyone would agree that a 6-mile hike + 7 more miles of singletrack would beat the crap out of the 70-mile Tarryall detour!
    Quote Originally Posted by consumerbydesign
    This is a dream ride people should not be afraid to enter into. There is much civilization along the way for the first half. Lurkers here probly want some great stories to maybe gain some knowledge, all I can say is it can`t be grasped by reading. Magnitude dude. Day 1, 3pm ride seg. 1,2 3, sleep, Day 2, ride Lost crk detour Georgia pass to tiger road, sleep. Day 3 West Ridge, copper Mtn to Leadville. Almost quit, hotel{ouch}. Day 4, Leadville to Princeston Hot Springs{best day}.Day 5? Ride down to Hwy 50 start climbing into the abyss. I quit at the 95 hour make, one hour shy of 4 days. If my bike was a horse I would`of shot it, how`s that for a mechanical. I had way too much stuff and never enough food. The finishers have things dialed in. Try the race, find your weakness, try again. Dan.
    Dream ride for sure. I'm still dreaming...
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  12. #12
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by jav1231
    Great race! Glad MTBCast could provide the audio. I hope next year to put more into it. It was fun to cover. Maybe I can be there for the start next year!

    Stefan,
    I neglected to give a mention about the donation to the CT Foundation. I will do that on my next show and post Bill's address in the show notes as well.
    Great! Thanks for providing the coverage and the toll-free #, Joe. Really appreciated it!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    425
    I know it's an old thread, but I have a question that pertains to the race. Where were the mandatory call ins? I'm looking over the maps and just trying to get it all together since I'll be out of the country all of June and won't have much time before the actual race.
    Also, how many actual towns do we roll through?
    Thanks for the help.

  14. #14
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc
    I know it's an old thread, but I have a question that pertains to the race. Where were the mandatory call ins? I'm looking over the maps and just trying to get it all together since I'll be out of the country all of June and won't have much time before the actual race.
    Also, how many actual towns do we roll through?
    Thanks for the help.
    Just started a new Q&A discussion thread for this year!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  15. #15
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616

    Smile 2007 CTR Trip Report

    Almost a year late, but I finally finished a write-up from the 2007 CTR! Strange how the memories are still fresh in my mind - epic events just do that for ya. Just in time to provide some insight and motivation for this year's racers too!

    http://www.climbingdreams.net/life/2007/ctr/

    I also want to acknowledge and give a huge thanks to Jefe and Piper for all the pictures I used in the write-up. I didn't bring a camera (dee, dee, dee) for the race, and Jefe and I were less than a couple hours apart the whole time. Sometimes much less... He got some great shots! All the pictures of riders at the start were from Chris.

    Enjoy!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  16. #16
    Scott in Tucson
    Reputation: Krein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    Almost a year late, but I finally finished a write-up from the 2007 CTR! Strange how the memories are still fresh in my mind - epic events just do that for ya. Just in time to provide some insight and motivation for this year's racers too!
    Nice, Stefan. I've been waiting for this one. Better late than never!

    This (2007) race really intrigues me beyond the more established races because the tactics, planning and strategy were unknown at the time.

    There was a thread a while back about endurance racer of the year or something like that, and I never chimed in because (I think) I was leaving on a trip, but for my money it's Jefe and you. The challenge of racing the first CTR and then setting a high bar for others to challenge -- brilliant stuff.

    Thanks for the writeup.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: consumerbydesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    913
    Not sure I like the location of the meeting. I like the picture of Ethan pouring over those maps for what seemed to me his first time. But more importantly I had to go away from that meeting telling my daughter that she could not have that puppy from the near by pet shop, I was busy.

  18. #18
    Just go ride!
    Reputation: Stefan_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Nice, Stefan. I've been waiting for this one. Better late than never!
    Wow, I'm flattered, Scott!! Thanks for the compliments - not sure how high Jefe and I set the bar for the CTR, but I guess we'll find out in a few more weeks!

    Glad you enjoyed the writeup. I know I always enjoy reading yours.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3
    Stephan,

    Hey ....Trish Stevenson here.Might be interested in carrying a Spot if there's one available for the CTR race.Gonna shoot for 7 days-haven't been riding much but figure 7 days might be manageable.Looking forward to some amazing singletrack-have only ridden a small section near Breckenridge for their 100 miler.Would also be interested in getting a ride back up to Denver afterwards-we'll see how it unfolds i 'spose.
    Thanks-Asheville,NC

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •