mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Crusher in the Tushar

Anyone else doing this race? I signed up for my first time. I have done the Butte 50 3 years running so I figure I can survive it. Less of a mountain bike race really but it is mostly dirt. Should be quite the event.

hispanic mechanic
    Not this year, but looks like fun. I've already committed to the High Cascades 100, and I'd be cooked after the Crusher.
    I'm racing the Bear Lake Monstercross, which I think would be a good prep for the Crusher.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

First Time Crusher

Another first timer here. Should hurt a lot. I'm currently brainstorming potential bike setups. Monstercross vs. 29er hardtail.

Your Best Friend
    I did the race last year. If you'd like some decent information search for the blog by Grizzly Adam. He is obsessed with it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bumping this back up. How did you guys do? I'm looking at 2014, trying to decide on a full on cross bike or my roadie with 700x30 tires. Both bikes are SS.

Your Best Friend
    The first year two road bikes attempted it. Both failed to finish after multiple flats. I don't think any have tried in the two running since then. Not the optimal bike for that race.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Do you know what tires they were using? I figured 30's would be good enough, as I've read a few blog entries of people doing it on 32-33's with no issues.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Do you know what tires they were using? I figured 30's would be good enough, as I've read a few blog entries of people doing it on 32-33's with no issues.
    Check out grizzly adam's blog. As silentfoe said 10 months ago, he's obsessed.

And he totally geeked out on his blog about bike choice for the Crusher. And tires. Then afterwords he geeks out about how his choices worked out...

He's a friend. He'd probably be happy to answer questions.

Grizzly Adam.net
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Check out grizzly adam's blog. As silentfoe said 10 months ago, he's obsessed.

And he totally geeked out on his blog about bike choice for the Crusher. And tires. Then afterwords he geeks out about how his choices worked out...

He's a friend. He'd probably be happy to answer questions.

Grizzly Adam.net
    Thanks for the link. Read through his stuff and it has helped.

Side note, jealous you're in Salida. I'd love to meet Don McClung and take one of his bikes out for a ride.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Thanks for the link. Read through his stuff and it has helped.

Side note, jealous you're in Salida. I'd love to meet Don McClung and take one of his bikes out for a ride.
    Cool. You shouldn't hesitate to get in touch with him. If you want to yak about the Crusher I bet he's game.

Salida is pretty damned nice. Normally we ride all winter. Melting out half a foot of wet snow right now though.

What you really want to do is go ride with Don and try to keep up with him through tech singletrack. He rides only rigid SS, and cantilever brakes no less. Those bikes are short and stiff. Rattle the fillings right out of your teeth. Beautiful bit of bikey art.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ended up having to take a prerequisite math class this summer 5 days a week and bailed out. What a lamer! argh. I wish these races didn't fill up so fast and require such early registration. Oh well. I think this year I am going back to the Butte 50 as it is only an hour away. And an actual mountain bike race on trails, which is better for me.