mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Crank the Shield

Crank the Shield is back for 2015, August 15-16, Haliburtan, Ontario

Crank the Shield is a two-day cycling odyssey through Ontario’s stunning Canadian Shield country. Experience Eastern North America’s most challenging and popular mountain bike stage race that combines amazing food, onsite camping, event goodies, great aid stations and some of the best and most rewarding days you will experience on a bike. Riders will also experience some of the best mountain biking Eastern Canada has to offer!

Crank The Shield

mtbr member
    I thought this was an "even year only" race - I was hoping to hit in 2016. Is it annual now? Already booked that weekend this year.
    2014 Seven Ti w/gears
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yep I'm the same. I would love to come but that weekend is booked for me as well. Is there any chance of a three day coming back. Travelling from Alberta for two day race is a little bit much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This will be the first year that it's back to back so depending on how it rolls, it may or may not go back to a bi-annual event.

Too bad you are already booked!

As for traveling for 'only' a two-day race, there's still lots of riding in and around the area so it would still be worth your while! There are also lots of weekly series around too if you were planning to come for a week, you can still get your race fix throughout the week and stay sharp for the main event

mtbr member
    At this point it looks unlikely that the three day will come back soon. There was not enough attendance to make the three day worthwhile and the promoter felt the lack of attendance could be addressed by lowering the cost and eliminating the need to miss a day of work by moving to a two day event. The move from Sept. to August should also help with attendance, especially for those like me that suffered through the cold weather of last years event.

All that being said I'm planning on doing Crank again this year, and look forward to much warmer weather. Last years was well organized and a lot of fun, and the terrain is a nice change from the more civilized stuff I normally ride around Toronto.

mtbr member
    Looks like I can shift my August trip 2 weeks, so if I can find a co-driver for this (13hrs for me) I'm in!
    2014 Seven Ti w/gears
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork