Thread: Cramps!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cramps!!!

I know, I know, Hydration, Sodium, Electrolytes, BUT... what of those fancy sports nutrition items add a little extra in prevention/assistance?

I drink about a liter an hour on the bike and stay well hydrated at all times considering I work outdoors. Not sure if this is an urban legend or not but I make sure my piss is as clear as possible. I also carry a bottle of Hammer heed but its so disgusting, I really need to find a different electrolyte drink. Love hammer gels though. They don't upset my stomach as much as gu/cliff gels. I carry a flask bottle full and take a shot every hourish. Banana and/or cliff bar whenever. Never tried the pickle juice or mustard thing but I'm not against to trying. I tried cliff shots for the first time yesterday and they were great. Went down easy but not sure if they help for cramps or not.

What do you guys use/do for your cramps?

I know theres also a matter of conditioning. a 6hr is not something my body is used to but I sure love participating. I was to the point yesterday where standing and pedaling cramped my quads, sitting and spinning cramp my calves, and general maneuvering through techy descents cramped my hammies, HA!

I have a long ways to go, but its a f*cking blast!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

AZ
    banned
    Endurolytes from Hammer Nutrition has worked for me. I use the powder, adjust amount as needed.

Endurolytes - Electrolyte Replacement Supplement | Hammer Nutrition

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I truly think that it is a balance between hydration/electrolytes and conditioning. If you stress a muscle harder and longer than it has been stressed before it is bound to cramp. Train harder than your event is going to be. That is easier said than done I know but it holds true. I have a tendancy to cramp late in a 100 mile event. Most likely it is because I have not trained hard enough and I also get behind on nutrition. I tend to forget to keep fueling later in the race. I have found that if I start to cramp I start taking Saltstick tablets about every 15 minutes. That ususally gets rid of the cramps completly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I heard this last night on mountain bike raido. Supplements - Mountain Bike Radio

She talks about most of us having low Iron and fish oil. I was cramping last year and suffered from dehydration in two 100 milers and then I found a post on here about making your own drink and I also uped my calcium & 500mg more magnesium. It worked on my first training ride and then I did a 24 hr solo I was running 4th at hour 12.5 with 12 laps and got injured. I thought the drink mix I was making was grate,a month later I went to another 24hr solo and did well (very well)but I started felling sick at hour 18 just like the hammer perpetuem & sustained energy, I have done Carborocket Half Evil 333 on 100 mile training rides and like it but as soon as the snow melts I'm going to try it on a 200 miler, I have also used pickle juice and when I fell like I need to eat something I eat pickles,PB&J,fig newtons,bananas, alittle bacon,sometimes a cheezberger, and avocados!!! Progresso light vegetable noodle soup. most people want to keep the proteins low.

mtbr member
    Have you tried the tums with magnesium? I also use Nuun, and throw a few sugar cubes in with it to sweeten up the mixture. I agree with the post about muscles cramping due to conditioning, or a lack thereof. Pushing too hard against one's own skill level and dehydration would be my guess as to why anyone cramps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I firmly believe you get cramps when you push way harder than normal.

You can train hard, then play it safe in the race and avoid cramps, or you can train hard then go for glory from the start gun and suffer agonizing cramps late in the race.

Thing I've found though is that by pushing super hard and cramping I score better results than playing safe and there's a certain delicious comedy in trying to run up a hill with seized legs, fighting desperately to maintain your hard won position. It amazes me the speeds you can still reach on the flats even when your legs lock solid on the climbs.
    All my best races have taken me to the edge of endurance, but the glory is there to temper the pain and it all goes away the second you stop.

mtbr member

Re: Cramps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grawp View Post

You can train hard, then play it safe in the race and avoid cramps, or you can train hard then go for glory from the start gun and suffer agonizing cramps late in the race.

Thing I've found though is that by pushing super hard and cramping I score better results than playing safe and there's a certain delicious comedy in trying to run up a hill with seized legs, fighting desperately to maintain your hard won position. It amazes me the speeds you can still reach on the flats even when your legs lock solid on the climbs.
    All my best races have taken me to the edge of endurance, but the glory is there to temper the pain and it all goes away the second you stop.
    ^^ this!
    Although I actually believe I lose more time cramping and suffering than if I just back off the pace or even stop altogether and rest. But the issue for me is the mental drill sergeant telling me to keep the hammer down because it's a race, dammit! So I go over the edge and suffer the cramps. And if it's a bad cramp up, there is no going back to any semblance of strength. Thus the losing more time in the long run by doing that. I do take on all the nutritional aides and caps, but I honestly think cramps (for me) are due to having pushed too hard for too long. Simple as that and part of the fun and strategy of endurance racing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Lots of good supplements (I like Elete -- easy to squirt it into my bottles), but the longer I race, the more convinced I am that to really minimize cramps, you have to train closer to race conditions in terms of both time and intensity.

Then, just ride through them. Nothing worse than stopping and trying to get going again. Honestly, if you can't ride through cramps, you're always going to be an endurance racing "completer", not a "competer".

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sportlegs. You should be able to buy small packets to sample. Been riding up on 20+ years and have not had anything be really reliable. Swear by em........ but everybody is different.
    Good luck.
    Another Tallboy convert!!!

Bicycle Addict
    Something about magnesium. I'm not sure.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grawp View Post

This is a great attitude and I need to apply it more in my races. I always try to strategize the right pace for the distance and total climb for a particular event. I need to lean into it and put the hammer down and deal with outcome as it happens.

mtbr member
    Endurolytes pills 1 every hour or Two when You feel them coming it works for me

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    Cramping has a variety of causes, and scientists aren't even certain exactly why and how they occur. Electrolytes play a role, but so does hydration, fuel availability, fatigue (both general and muscle-specific), body temperature, blood flow and waste removal rates, neurological firing, muscular range of motion, genetic makeup, and other factors. It's hard to pin the cause on one specific factor, and it varies by individual.

If you want to isolate electrolytes as the cause, the first place to look is how much you are consuming. The composition of sweat varies from person to person (and even day to day), but on average contains sodium at 900mg/L, potassium at 200mg/L, calcium at 15mg/L, and magnesium at 13mg/L, with additional trace elements. Keep these concentration guidelines in mind when evaluating the electrolyte content of drinks and fuels. Unfortunately, many sports drinks contain only a fraction of the electrolytes found in sweat (typically 15%) or tout other ingredients as “electrolytes” that aren’t found in sweat. When in doubt, look at the ingredients and nutrition information to determine the quantities of electrolytes and compare them to sweat.

Hope this helps,
    Jenny
    Tailwind Nutrition
    www.tailwindnutrition.com
    www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition
    Twitter: @gotailwind

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i would go with a custom drink that is based on your goals and your body. Funny enough i was going to suggest tailwind or infinit nutrition. I use to cramp on 100 mile races and since i ride a singlespeed i don't have an option other than pushing myself pretty hard. Since i start using infinit i have never cramped. I make sure to drink a water bottle an hour and I am all set. The best part is that i don't have to worry about eating either because the drink mix covers my carbs, protein and everything else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nutrition and training are huge for sure in preventing cramps, but so is a good bike fit. If you haven't had a fit or been fit properly, you could be overusing a muscle group. If your cramps are systemic, such as you get cramps in your feet or arms as well as your legs its almost definitely nutrition. If it's localized in just your hip flexors or quads, it could be fit.
    I had my seat too far forward for awhile and I was overusing my quads and hip flexors and under using my hamstrings and glutes and I got a fair amount of cramps.

That said most sports drinks don't have enough electrolytes, shop around.