mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Conti Speed King Supersonic for enduro

Anybody have an opinion on these tires for enduro racing. Specifically are the supersonic versions up for a long course, especially the rough one in michaux, shenandoah 100, etc.

I'd be running them as a stan's tubeless conversion

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Conti speed king supersonics for enduro? - NO

I have had Speed King Protection 2.3s on my Flux for the last month or so - with Stans inside a pair of new XTR wheels. Prob done around 500k on them - they have worn a bit but not much. They are around 530g and very good so far on rocks, mud (heaps of mud) and sand. They're noisy on tar so prob a little slower than say a Crossmark (which I don't like - esp on the front). The kevlar side walls are absolutely necessary here in Oz coz rocks eat my sidewalls faster than the tread runs out - every time. The conti protection works really well for me - I love the sound it makes popping off the rocks.

I wouldn't ever run a supersonic in an enduro - too thin and prone to damage - and you may have serious trouble with porous sidewalls keeping the tyre up with Stans. Go the extra weight of the SK Protection, put an extra half cup of Stans in and go ride. Pressure for me is around 36 for enduro's - 32psi for general riding and front.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    The tire tread design is good for enduro racing. But if I were you I would opt for the non-Supersonic version. The supersonic is paper thin. I tend to run just the folding version of Conti tires. These work perfect for all day rides and races.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys. I expected that folks would think that these tires are a little on the flimsy side. I got a pair as a gift. They seemed to seal very nice with the stans kit. I've got two standard cross country races before any enduro type stuff. I think I'll just try 'em out and see what happens. If I really like the tread I'll get a pair of foldables or maybe even the protection sidewalls. I wish they made a wider version of the twister, I love that tread. The race kings look awesome too, can't find 'em anywhere though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Conti Speed King supersonics

I used to ride Kenda Karmas front and back - around 450g - on 8hr, 12hr and multi-day events using Stans and although OK and fast I did do 2 rear sidewalls during races and often had to change tyres after coz the walls were pretty trashed. Plus front end wash out was an issue. I would confidently "try" SK supersonics for an 8hr without many rocks but for 200-250g extra using the Protection SKs the benefits far outweight the lighter weight of the Supers IMHO. I have had no traction issues with the SKs - they hang on well