Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Just go ride!

Colorado Trail Race '08

Starts at noon on Monday, July 28!

There seems to be even more interest this time around, so it's about time to start a new discussion thread. Before asking a bunch of stuff here, head over to the webpage first:

http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr/

And just a reminder, this is a self-timed, individual time-trial, so as long as you play by the rules, you can start whenever you want! The date has been picked as a balance between daylight hours, temperatures, snowpack and thunderstorms to give riders the best chance of finishing.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Just go ride!

Towns en route.

The CTR rolls through:

Tarryall
    Frisco
    Copper Mountain
    Leadville
    Buena Vista
    Silverton

Lake City is ~3 mi. off route. Not many services in Tarryall

Last year, mandatory check-ins were at Copper or Frisco, Buena Vista and Silverton. However, riders were encouraged to check in at Leadville and/or Lake City.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks a ton. That really helps with my planning. I wonder how many people will show up this year?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is there any plans for a pre-race meeting and/or beers??

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by joatley
    Yes, there will be a pre-race meeting. Location and time TBD, but expect somewhere within a mile or two of the trailhead, around 10am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joatley
    Oh - there's plans for beers. And if we can get my wife drunk enough I might just get to do the race.

Really I am that slow
    hummm I won't be starting with yall but planing on tt'ing it late aug or sept.

Too busy with tour divide and lt100
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Grizzly
    This is on my list. Just not this year. I can't wait though to hear all the stories that '08 will bring.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Stefan- so there are [I][I]someservices in Tarryall? The guidebook says nothing...knowing that I can get at least a couple thousand calories of junk food on that bicycle leg would make a big differencein my planning...
    I'm still on track for doing this as a "tour" earlier in the month...do participants want a post regarding any negative trail conditions noted or would you rather find out for yer-selves (that'd be my preference if I was going...).
    Mike

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Stefan- so there are [I][I]someservices in Tarryall? The guidebook says nothing...knowing that I can get at least a couple thousand calories of junk food on that bicycle leg would make a big differencein my planning...
    Yes, there are "some" services in Tarryall, but they are certainly not 24-hour convenience store type services. Last year, I rolled through there just before dawn, and the 1 motel/bar/restaurant looking place was shut tight. Apparently others were able to get a philly-cheesesteak sandwich around there someplace later in the day! If you want to ride off-route a few miles south off of Kenosha Pass, I believe there are some services in the small community of Jefferson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    Yes, there are "some" services in Tarryall, but they are certainly not 24-hour convenience store type services. Last year, I rolled through there just before dawn, and the 1 motel/bar/restaurant looking place was shut tight. Apparently others were able to get a philly-cheesesteak sandwich around there someplace later in the day! If you want to ride off-route a few miles south off of Kenosha Pass, I believe there are some services in the small community of Jefferson.
    Like I said, touring. Just before dawn, I'll be asleep. 30 or so miles into the bicylce route should be mid-day for me. Hot lunch!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Pics of CTR rig

I was out training on the CT yesterday with my wife and thought I would post some pics of my rig for the CTR. Training is going well as I have been riding a lot and tweaking my gear. Segment 1, 2, 3 are in great shape and I plan on riding the detour and segment 5 and 6 over the next few weeks. I'll sure I will hit snow over Kenosha Pass but we'll see.

Any questions or comments...please let me know....

Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow, perfect timing post! I went out today for a fully loaded training ride as well for the CTR. Everything seems to be in place for me gear wise. Of course I'll be tweaking a few things here and there.
    I traded out my Osprey Talon 22 for an Ergon BD2 pack. Aside from the lack of pockets I really like it. I'm having some pockets sewn in though so no worries there.
    My total pack weight without food and water is around 11.5 lbs.
    Man I just want to finish it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey Sherpaxc..I have not seen the Ergon packs around town..I reviewed them on-line and they look pretty nice. I am using the new Camelback Octane 14+ (http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm) pack and have been really happy with how it rides and carries. It can hold 1400 cu inches of stuff and compresses down with a zipper on the outside when caryying smaller loads.

I have around 15 lbs (includes 100oz water) in my pack and around 10 lbs of gear on my bike. I was going to use my OR advanced bivy but came decided to go with the new Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent (2.6 lbs) for more comfort. I hate sleeping in a bivy unless it is really cold or rainy so I figured I better get comfortable. The tent weights about 1 lb more but it much more comfortable.

Happy Training

Kyle

mtbr member

Me To

Quote Originally Posted by kbstone13
    I was out training on the CT yesterday with my wife and thought I would post some pics of my rig for the CTR. Training is going well as I have been riding a lot and tweaking my gear. Segment 1, 2, 3 are in great shape and I plan on riding the detour and segment 5 and 6 over the next few weeks. I'll sure I will hit snow over Kenosha Pass but we'll see.

Any questions or comments...please let me know....

Kyle
    Got in a ‘training ride’ on the CT this weekend with Jim.

Jim enjoying the last bump down to the Platte river bridge on Sat

More at http://desertmountainride.blogspot.com/
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc
    Thanks a ton. That really helps with my planning. I wonder how many people will show up this year?

Yourself and whoever else shows - and your gonna finish it too! Or else!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I knew I shouldn't have even looked this out

Ah Man I knew I just should have stayed away, but I just can't stay away, hearing you guys talk about this thing is killing me. So for the record I am out for the 08 race, still recovering from the spleen thing, haven't riden my Mtb since November!!! Yikes. But can't wait to watch you guys all suffer, ha. So keep up the planning and scheming and rock that s&*t. Coolio, good luck to all and I would be honored to add to the discussion, Peace Jefe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    Ah Man I knew I just should have stayed away, but I just can't stay away, hearing you guys talk about this thing is killing me. So for the record I am out for the 08 race, still recovering from the spleen thing, haven't riden my Mtb since November!!! Yikes. But can't wait to watch you guys all suffer, ha. So keep up the planning and scheming and rock that s&*t. Coolio, good luck to all and I would be honored to add to the discussion, Peace Jefe
    Keep getting better Jefe

How soon till you get to go 100%?
    ---------------
    me have blog

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    Yeah, it's killing me too, but I guess I can't complain since I'm out this year because of a baby, not a spleen.

Man, I sure hope you have full recovery with your spleen, and hopefully we'll start the CTR '09 together. Now that I'm used to the fact that I won't be racing, I too am looking forward to watching everybody suffer and survive and have a great time doing it! Current count for the race is 9 fo' shizzlez.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

someday...

I am due to get another CAT scan sometime soon to see if all is healed inside there, it is still sore and just feels weird. Internal injuries are strange, it's not like a broken bone or anything, no obvious thing to watch heal, just a presence inside that just doesn't feel right. I am hiking a bit and riding to work, very short commute, a few road rides, but even that was overdoing it a bit. SO it is torture, everyone riding, but hell it could be worse, right? So maybe a few weeks I can ride off road, I hope untill then, books, guitar, and dog walks....so my advice, save the pushing it for the bike riding, not driving, cars bad, bikes good....Take care y'all Jefe

mtbr member
    I`m in again this year. Looks like under ten people so far.
    Jefe, bummer, my healing vibes are being sent, Stefan, congrats on a new challenge. You two will be missed, Dave too.
    I have a whole bunch of new pain this year, cronic neck{from last years CTR}, tore an ACL this winter plus more. Who cares about that? I have a new bike and new gear so I`m all set, now if it would stop snowing.
    Hoping for a finish on the seventh day, Dan.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by consumerbydesign
    I`m in again this year. Looks like under ten people so far.
    Jefe, bummer, my healing vibes are being sent, Stefan, congrats on a new challenge. You two will be missed, Dave too.
    I have a whole bunch of new pain this year, cronic neck{from last years CTR}, tore an ACL this winter plus more. Who cares about that? I have a new bike and new gear so I`m all set, now if it would stop snowing.
    Hoping for a finish on the seventh day, Dan.
    danny boy, sounds like you still got the right attitude. i'm sending 3+ out from NC this year (including trish stevenson) to represent in my stead. they're all very safety-oriented types so you'll get along well. i'll be with brand new cub by then and following on MTBcast. do something about last year's wacky-rack set up b/f you roll. see jeff boatman at CDW maybe? -matty lee

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Matt, just curious, who from NC is coming?

Mountian Goat
    Jun 2008

Hello CTR and question

This is my offical introduction to you all. Happy to find a message board! This is TURK and I will be there! Stefan - you said its a self timed event and we can start whenver we want - I thought we are all going to start together at 12:00 Monday - we can start say Saturday before Monday now? Please explain, my plan was to always start at the time slated on your website. Turk

Just go ride!
    Hi Turk-

In a nutshell, this is a self-timed time trial, and you can start whenever you want. From the webpage: "There is no entry fee, no support, no registration, and no prize money. It is an individual time trial: all that is provided is a route description, a suggested start time, and a list of results."

I know most people intend on starting at noon on Monday, and it does make things more interesting that way, but you are not obligated to start then. Being a solo, self-supported and self-timed event, there is really nothing to restrict (or prevent) people from starting whenever they want. However, in the spirit of camaraderie, and for some companionship and added competitive motivation, there is a suggested start time.

Make sense?

Which way? Uphill.
    Yes, there will be a pre-race meeting. Location and time TBD, but expect somewhere within a mile or two of the trailhead, around 10am.
    There's a Heidi's Brooklyn Deli less than a mile from the TH in Roxborough(Waterton Rd and Rampart Range Rd) that would work nicely.

If you want beers, there's a dive bar, The North Shore at Chatfield and Wadsworth, a bit further than Heidi's.

I'm not riding this year, but I plan on ditching out of work a little and heading down to take pictures of the start.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

go ride!!
    I'm a nc cat from the town of ash-vegas but now am located in denver. Am unable to do the race when you all start but am gonna do my own tt on the CT starting on June 28. Rolling it with the fixie, will see how it all works out. The time is near. peace. e

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Does anyone have a GPX track of the CTR that they'd be willing to share for the race? I just got one of those gizmo's and I'd like to use it during the race.
    Anyone?
    thanks.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

GPX track

Pop me an email and I'll send what I have along when I get a chance to visit my inlaws. All my GPX tracks are on their computer since I just have a mac here at home. I could swear I made one last year although I will definitely have to go through it and make sure it matches the final course.

No guarantee it's 100% right, yada yada. The CTR is one of the few ultra courses where a GPS is mostly unnecessary but they're still fun to play with and take a lot of the guess work out of a few turns here and there.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I kind of felt that it wouldn't be necessary but it's a fun new toy that I'd like to play with. I have a Mac as well but my buddy is a GPS guru and say's he can work with it. Anyway, I heard from a friend up there that for the most part you could ride/hike the entire CTR with barely a look at a map (in the daylight of course). I've still got my maps though! Thanks.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    You can make due with a mac but ScottM's TopoFusion software is soooo nice on a PC. One of these days I've got to get a PC here at home so I can use it more.

I'll make the CTR track available to anyone that wants it after I get a chance to find it in my archives and compare it to Stefan's laid out course, just make sure you know not to rely on it, blah blah blah.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Race related questions here:

1. How far into the race is Frisco and are their descent supplies there? I'm trying to figure out if I need food for one or 2 days of riding. I'm hoping to time Tarryall and score a meal there.

2. What is the longest stretch between supply stops, where, and how long?

3. Please clarify, we DON'T go by the Official Guidebook directions for the Tarryall detour but instead go by the directions that are linked on the CTR website correct? All other mandatory detours we follow the guidebook?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Race related questions here:

1. How far into the race is Frisco and are their descent supplies there? I'm trying to figure out if I need food for one or 2 days of riding. I'm hoping to time Tarryall and score a meal there.

3. Please clarify, we DON'T go by the Official Guidebook directions for the Tarryall detour but instead go by the directions that are linked on the CTR website correct? All other mandatory detours we follow the guidebook?

Thanks.
    The race starts a few hours earlier this year. that combined with riding late into the evening the first night should put me in Frisco after business hours but while some stores are still open.
    Still will plan on two nights out to start tho. Frisco has all one could need. I found nothing in Terryall. Just before getting back to dirt I found a cheesesteak dealer that saved me and I din`nt know it. The detour is described on Stefans website and in great detail at the pre-race meeting. Another detour is slightly different then described in the book, dont have my papers with me on vacation, but it is easy and was decided at the last minute last year.
    I never saw the longest stretch between stores last year and have a mucho bigger pack this year. Not enough food was always a nagging problem. I would say between B.V.and Silverton is the longest stretch, but there are a few small places like Princston hot Springs that has food til they close.
    Don`t over plan like I did. Just get a bigger pack. See you there, Dan.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Heh

All I have to say is I like to eat Skimping on food is a baaaaad idea in my mind. I don't know how many people I heard out on the GDR/TD this year that ran out of food while I didn't restock (ice cream and hot meals I got lucky enough to find not withstanding) until several days in.

I typically carry with me stuff I like or need to eat that I can't find on the trail. Then I supplement that with whatever I can find as it runs low. If I had to guess, I won't buy a lot of food until BV and then I'll stock up for the run all the way to Silverton. That's definitely the furthest distance although lake city isn't far off route too.

Mountain towns are weird. I never plan on getting anything late at night although I think Frisco probably has 24 hour gas station at least. Maybe someone who raced last year can confirm that.

Also the Tarryall detour in the guidebook is just incomplete if I remember right. They just stop the directions around mile 50 even though that's not the end.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    All I have to say is I like to eat Skimping on food is a baaaaad idea in my mind. I don't know how many people I heard out on the GDR/TD this year that ran out of food while I didn't restock (ice cream and hot meals I got lucky enough to find not withstanding) until several days in.

I typically carry with me stuff I like or need to eat that I can't find on the trail. Then I supplement that with whatever I can find as it runs low. If I had to guess, I won't buy a lot of food until BV and then I'll stock up for the run all the way to Silverton. That's definitely the furthest distance although lake city isn't far off route too.

Mountain towns are weird. I never plan on getting anything late at night although I think Frisco probably has 24 hour gas station at least. Maybe someone who raced last year can confirm that.

Also the Tarryall detour in the guidebook is just incomplete if I remember right. They just stop the directions around mile 50 even though that's not the end.
    There's a wall mart in frisco that is open 24hrs i belive.... Its pertty much right on the route maybe a few block off.... also Pancho springs isn't far off the route and theres a gas station and another wall mart between there and silida....
    Read my BLOG!

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Dave FTW!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

So jealous....

So yeah there ain't much between Buena Vista and Lake city, a detour into Poncha Springs on Hwy 50, but not much there either, and this stretch is perhaps the hardest, tough trail conditions, not too many other folks and miles and miles of riding and walking, very slow at times. Lake city has a good bit of stuff if you get there early in the evening, but plan on everything being closed down late or in the morning, same for Silverton, not much there either except bars. From Silverton to D-town is only like 73 miles, but this crushed me last year, and again nothing till you get to durango. So my advice, eat lots early in the race and resupply often, frisco, copper, leadville, buena vista, stock up till Lake city, or if you can make it to Silverton, I couldn't carry enough to get there personally, it is a long haul. Also there trail is so tough between Hwy 50 and Cotchetopa park/Los Pinos Pass that be prepared to give yourself a pick me up, a cup of coffee, shot of bourbon, something as I was ready to head north and go home a few times through there, it is heart breakingly slow. So yeah just a few ideas good luck Y'all Jefe

Just go ride!
    Frisco is at about 150 miles and 17k of gain in. First racers were there last year in around 24 hours, longer for others. Wish I knew more details for Tarryall, but it was all closed up when I rode through.

Looks like others have given you good feedback here. If you don't ride off-route, the longest stretch is easily B.V. to Silverton. 200 miles and 22k of gain. There are some sloooow miles in there too. I thought I had enough food for that stretch, but after 48 hours, I ended up detouring the 3 miles into Lake City.

We do follow the official guidebook directions for the Tarryall detour. They were incompletely printed in the 7th edition, but I believe it has been revised. There is a link to the description from the CTR webpage, or click here.

We do not start the La Garita detour as described in the guidebook, but instead continue on the CT beyond Cochetopa Pass for an extra 10 or so miles of scenic meadow riding. Then, the CTR turns right on Saguache Park Rd. and reconnects with the La Garita Detour described in the guidebook.

Any more route questions? Keep 'em coming. We'll go through the whole route at the pre-race meeting too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Stefan...is the pre-race meeting location determined yet?

Disregard.
    Last edited by riverfever; 07-09-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Just go ride!

We the people ... Pre-race Meeting!

Let's follow nepbug's excellent suggestion, and have the pre-race meeting at 9:30 AM at Heidi's Brooklyn Deli on the corner of Rampart Range Rd. and Waterton Rd.

The meeting is not mandatory, but will be a good chance to meet the other racers and clarify any other details before the noon start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Howdy

I was just wondering what everyone does to prepare for this kind of race...other than alot of riding, which I am doing. I am interested, as I had to compare doing triathlons or just getting more use out of the bike I just got. Good thing I went with getting more off the road.

Anyways, preparation before the race and what you bring with on the bike, other fun and useful tips.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Howdy...Just wondering how you guys prepare for these races...other than lots of miles on the bike. Just looking into the details before and during the race and all that goes through it.

Looking to do one of these races, specifically the colorado one soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter05
    Howdy...Just wondering how you guys prepare for these races...other than lots of miles on the bike. Just looking into the details before and during the race and all that goes through it.

Huge, huge topic, start with the CTR link, drill down through all the CTR and other "multi-day & self-supported" threads, then start preping & experimenting in the areas you personaly feel you need to work on....

Depending on your background, perhaps doing the CTR in 09 might be a reasonable goal, but unless you are 'pulling a leg' with your 'where do I start' question, attempting it in 08 would be way more than just difficult
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter05

I`m wondering the same. A little on the job training, show up for the race and give it a go. That is the best "training". Pick some brains on the trail. Check out the gear, bikes and where you end up ded. I went about half way, best training ever.
    My approach on my second try is much more relaxed, This is a mix between a race and a vacation. Other then dropping in on a few resort towns, spending a week on the Colorado Trail is more then a ride. That`s what keeps me interested. If I had no hours in the saddle I would still show up.
    I will be "racing" this year, but I don`t know what or who against. Each rider has a distinct personality pertaining to this ride.
    Jefe, Stefan, veteran GLR riders just what we expected. Ethan, when more people like him show up with more experience , the bar might be raised, a "just show upper" for sure. Jason, nice write up in that magazine, thanks. Your nap in the beginning and dealing with pain late was a smart race? I was most impressed by Jasons ride b/c he passed me on the "3rd' day and got to BV that day when I barely made Leadville. 18 hours from Silverton to the finish, dang. Fred, "Steady Freddy" nuf said.
    Matthew, thanks for doing a recovery ride and being slow enough to cat and mouse we me. Hilarious, a mover and a shaker. Relaxed.
    Mark probably had the best "vacation"b/c he was out there the longest. Best training ride.
    Me{Dan} oldest fart@43, just a dreamer.
    Dave, when you set that whiskey glass down do you use a coaster?
    Jim, my neighbor, let`s get some riding in soon. Finished a bike build the night before the race, he better show up again.
    This is one of those times when I remember everything and everyone vividly, that should put some perspective on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I pretty much read all the blogs, threads, articles I could get my hands on. Looked at all the pictures of all the different gear as well as read up on some of the lightweight backpacking sites. From there I started to test gear on overnighters (I live in Austin, so it wasn't like I was way out in the middle of nowhere) just riding all the trails all day and camping in the woods at night. I learned pretty quick what would work, what wouldn't and things I needed to work on, as well as things I'd thought I'd need/want but then realized I was tired of carrying it around (like a small book to read at night).
    Training wise for me has been just getting on the bike. Luckily for me the wife and I spent 3 weeks in France bicycle touring in June (tough life huh ) and since then I've been getting up before dawn to get out and get about 4 hours on the bike and a couple more in the evening fully loaded to get my body (and knees) adjusted to the weight. It's been a process for me for sure but I've loved every minute of it.
    The only thing that makes me nervous about the CTR is running low on food and lightening. I went to the store yesterday and LOADED pretty much all my extra space with food. I know I won't need that much at the beginning of the trail, but if I don't use it then I'll have it for later. The stories of all these riders going hungry...screw that, I'll take an extra 4 pounds of food no problem.
    I've also found that many people are very helpful when asking them questions. Matt Lee, Jaston Trimm, Chris Plesko, etc...these guys have really gone out of thier way to help me with my questions/concerns. I'll be happy to share my "limited" knowledge to anyone who asks (God help them).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluedodge
    I'm a nc cat from the town of ash-vegas but now am located in denver. Am unable to do the race when you all start but am gonna do my own tt on the CT starting on June 28. Rolling it with the fixie, will see how it all works out. The time is near. peace. e

Did you make it? Are you still out there? Please share your adventure with us.

Thanks

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    June 28th would have been tough to make it. There is still mucho snow in a few spots.

I ran into Mike Brown the other day. He was touring and seemed to be loving life out on the trail. We were coming down from Mt.Elbert and he was pushing up the hill. We chatted for a bit and then he continued on to BV. Really fun to meet him by chance out on the trail and he said all was good except that he had skipped Searl pass so far.

3 weeks to go! It's hot and melting snow fast up high but still freezing up there at night.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    I guess I better offer up some floor space for any racers coming in from a great distance. As long as you not a big lump on the couch for too long. We live about an hour from the start line and just ten minutes from some great scouting missions on the C.T. around Frisco, drop me a P.M.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

C.T. Trail Conditions - Segment #15

Just returned from some great training on the C.T. this week. Rode north from Shavano campground Monday (Segment #14) and loved the trail. We were hit with a pretty good storm so we opted to return to camp. The trail was is good shape and decent riding.

Tuesday we left Shavano campground and headed south on Segment #15. Our plan was to reach Marshall Pass. The trail was is good condition until about 11,000 feet when we started hitting snow and the trail was pretty sloppy. We slogged on till about 300 feet from tree line then decided to turn back. We were planning on driving on to Sargents Mesa but the rain continued so we headed back home.

Here are some pics of the trail around 11,000 feet.

I wouldn't worry too much about the snow as it is melting pretty quick. Most of the snow I have been encountering in the San Juans in on the north side of the mountain, in tree line. Once you bust out above tree line, the snow is mostly gone with the exception of snow fields.

Kyle

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    June 28th would have been tough to make it. There is still mucho snow in a few spots.

I ran into Mike Brown the other day. He was touring and seemed to be loving life out on the trail. We were coming down from Mt.Elbert and he was pushing up the hill. We chatted for a bit and then he continued on to BV. Really fun to meet him by chance out on the trail and he said all was good except that he had skipped Searl pass so far.

3 weeks to go! It's hot and melting snow fast up high but still freezing up there at night.
    I was wondering if he had made it out there. I wonder if he decided to use the hammock that he took an interest in. I just got done making my super lightweight hammock for this race. It's MUCH lighter than any hammock I've ever used.

I'm so jealous of all the riders that get to actually pre-ride sections of the trail. Not really because it gives you an advantage (which, obviously it does) but because you get to ride the trail period. It's so hot right now in Austin. The next 5 days are predicted to be 100 degrees with high humidity.

Anyone going to use a SPOT for this race?

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Mike definitely had the hammock and was singing it's praises during our chat.

I will have my SPOT on for the race. Wife and family almost require I bring it after my divide trip.

BTW it's not much cooler here in D-town. It's been in the 90s lately but at least the humidity is low!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mike definitely had the hammock and was singing it's praises during our chat.

I will have my SPOT on for the race. Wife and family almost require I bring it after my divide trip.

BTW it's not much cooler here in D-town. It's been in the 90s lately but at least the humidity is low!
    I'm telling you all, a hammock is where it's at. The only issue is that it is SO comfortable that you won't want to get out of it to ride. When in France a few weeks ago the wife and I took a day off. I laid in my hammock for almost 14 hours straight. I've never even laid in my bed for that long!

My local shop is trying to hook me up with a SPOT. I had fun following your wife's updates about your ride. My wife will be up in CO with the laptop doing the same thing.

I don't want to hear about heat. If anything lie to me, but don't tell me it's hot up there.

mtbr member

It is soooo cold

I'm telling you all, a hammock is where it's at. The only issue is that it is SO comfortable that you won't want to get out of it to ride. When in France a few weeks ago the wife and I took a day off. I laid in my hammock for almost 14 hours straight. I've never even laid in my bed for that long!

My local shop is trying to hook me up with a SPOT. I had fun following your wife's updates about your ride. My wife will be up in CO with the laptop doing the same thing.

I don't want to hear about heat. If anything lie to me, but don't tell me it's hot up there.
    You are going to freeeeze all the time & will wish you were back in Austin. Also it is so cold you will surely freeze when you try to sleep in your un-insulated hammock, at least above 10k, feeling cooler now??

Actually I expect “back and forth” between ‘hot’ on the sunny climbs and during parts of the day and sections of the trail vs ‘cold to freezing cold’ during the rain, mornings and windy high elevation sections.

Spot
    I to will have my Spot, haven’t decided if I will open a ‘public’ link or just let my wife access it, probably will open a link………
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    May 2005
    FYI: MTBCast will podcast the updates again this year. Stefan has the cards. The number is toll-free. If you follow the GDR/TD you pretty much know the drill.
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK. I'm wondering about something here. It's now July 11. There are many sections of the CT that are still very muddy and wet. While probably a lot of that will be dry by the end of the month some of it may not. I was up near Searle Pass a couple days ago and there is still a fair amount of snow and water is just oozing out of the ground.

What are the implications of holding a race, even if it is a "bandit" race with comparatively few racers on wet and muddy sections of the CT? Has anyone involved considered alternatives if using the trail will add to damage, etc?

Just curious. If this was a permitted race, it would undoubtedly be an issue with the FS and the CT foundation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    OK. I'm wondering about something here. It's now July 11. There are many sections of the CT that are still very muddy and wet. While probably a lot of that will be dry by the end of the month some of it may not. I was up near Searle Pass a couple days ago and there is still a fair amount of snow and water is just oozing out of the ground.

What are the implications of holding a race, even if it is a "bandit" race with comparatively few racers on wet and muddy sections of the CT? Has anyone involved considered alternatives if using the trail will add to damage, etc?

Just curious. If this was a permitted race, it would undoubtedly be an issue with the FS and the CT foundation.
    I defiantly have an issue with this. I can`t think of any alternatives, just not doing it. This was a huge snow year and freezing every night still. Those picture Kyle just posted are revealing. I have a rule as a local, when the trail is soggy, I stay off it. One thing would stop me from doing this race and that is constant rain. I carry my bike way more then most people and will do so even when the bike is loaded. You are right to chime in on this. Lets maybe go do laps around white rim as an alternative.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Oh - Boy......

Oh boy...I didn't mean to start a debate regarding trail conditions with the few pictures I posted. PLEASE keep in mind that the section I stopped at that was pretty sloppy was around 1/2 mile (maybe 3/4 mile at most) long. The remainder of the trail below (and most likely above tree line) were in great condition. The percentage of trail that is still wet and snowy is pretty small. I am guessing less than 1%??

I have been racing for years in the Colorado area (Mountain Biking, adventure, and ultrarunning) and I don't think having a solo self-supported time trial ride is going to greatly impact the trail if we employ good trail riding / walking technique in the sensitive areas. If you look at a race like Hardrock 100 (which started yesterday) and has 150 racers all on foot in the high country, the forest service allowed the race to start. I ran the San Juan Solstice 50 miler a few weeks ago and it travels all around Lake City with 12K of gain and the trail conditions were great. We started around 9000 ft and ran along the divide (13,000 ft) for many miles. Up and down we traveled through the different elevations and the snow pack and trail conditions were in good shape. Even though there was a huge snow pack this year, it has melted fast and the trail conditions are pretty typical for this time of year. How many MTB races are being canceled due to wet trail conditions? I don't know of any.

I think there could always be an argument for any type of travel on trails when the conditions are sloppy. Hikers, bikers, and equestrian riders need walk softly and carefully when traveling in these conditions. We need to be sensitive of the issues and be aware that these trails are multi-use trails (in most areas) and appreciate our access.

In my opinion, the trails are in good shape and will continue to improve over the next few weeks. The warm temperatures this week are really helping with drying. There are 9 or so people starting this ride so the overall impact will be very small, especially when we all employ good trail etiquette in the sensitive areas.

I think this is good discussion and allows an opportunity to reinforce the importance of MTB access and travel in the back country.

Here are a few pics of what MOST of the trail was like.

Regards....Kyle

mtbr member
    Nice Kyle, I have been 8000 miles away for three weeks and today for a few minutes I was 233 meters below sea level. Not the best acclimatization. Been jonsing for the trail and your news in encouraging.
    This is still an issue we need to consider for the good of the sport. If it is raining cats and dogs we would be praised as heros for calling it off. With closure of some parts still on the table we need to do our part in being good diplomats.
    I`m open for a different start date. Another aspect of the unsupported theme is being able to switch dates, that sounds obscure, but this race might need such a twist.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I suppose I did intent to start if not a debate, at least a discussion about how to deal with the issue. It's certainly true that the CTR isn't a big race with hundreds of riders but due to the chatter that it generates here on MTBR and probably other media, it has a certain amount of visibility and the topic should at least be discussed.
    I'm involved with the mountain bike group group that is an adopter of a CT section (North Fork of the Swan to Horseshoe Gulch which is nice and dry BTW) and I also help out with the Copper Mountain to Kokomo Pass section which is definitely not dry and might still be snowy and wet by the end of the month (But maybe not, it might be nice and dry by then) so I do have something of a stake.
    I do think that if an underground race where held during conditions and areas that most of us would turn around or avoid to avoid doing damage to the trail, it could very well attract extra attention from the FS which I do know is uneasy about the whole underground race thing. They are uneasy maybe not so much because of the actual impacts, but from the perception that mountian bikers will race no matter what and don't care about their impacts and the attention that a race like that attracts which might not be much compared to mainstream racing (such as it is) but none the less quite a few folks do follow in the net. Plus, of course thy are a bureaucracy and bureaucracies don't like having their rules bypasses, but that's another topic)
    I reckon' this is an issue that is lurking under the surface of all underground racing - not that it isn't also an issue with above ground racing, but in a mainstream race, there is at least in theory, supposed to be a process in which issues like trail sustainability, bad weather alternatives and so forth are addressed. that's not to say participants and organizers of underground races can't deal with those issues as well or maybe even better than their counterparts in the race scene (maybe this has already happened, I'm not that big a follower of the scene) but personally for the good of the sport and the trails, the subject should be on the table.

mtbr member

Think about it this way……….

I suppose I did intent to start if not a debate, at least a discussion about how to deal with the issue. It's certainly true that the CTR isn't a big race with hundreds of riders but due to the chatter that it generates here on MTBR and probably other media, it has a certain amount of visibility and the topic should at least be discussed.
    I'm involved with the mountain bike group group that is an adopter of a CT section (North Fork of the Swan to Horseshoe Gulch which is nice and dry BTW) and I also help out with the Copper Mountain to Kokomo Pass section which is definitely not dry and might still be snowy and wet by the end of the month (But maybe not, it might be nice and dry by then) so I do have something of a stake.
    I do think that if an underground race where held during conditions and areas that most of us would turn around or avoid to avoid doing damage to the trail, it could very well attract extra attention from the FS which I do know is uneasy about the whole underground race thing. They are uneasy maybe not so much because of the actual impacts, but from the perception that mountian bikers will race no matter what and don't care about their impacts and the attention that a race like that attracts which might not be much compared to mainstream racing (such as it is) but none the less quite a few folks do follow in the net. Plus, of course thy are a bureaucracy and bureaucracies don't like having their rules bypasses, but that's another topic)
    I reckon' this is an issue that is lurking under the surface of all underground racing - not that it isn't also an issue with above ground racing, but in a mainstream race, there is at least in theory, supposed to be a process in which issues like trail sustainability, bad weather alternatives and so forth are addressed. that's not to say participants and organizers of underground races can't deal with those issues as well or maybe even better than their counterparts in the race scene (maybe this has already happened, I'm not that big a follower of the scene) but personally for the good of the sport and the trails, the subject should be on the table.
    Start here---Define ‘impact’ in purely physical terms ie: it could be independently measured and quantified

Now take the total measured ‘impact’ of the handful of riders that will start the CTR, multiply by say, oh 100

Now take that artificially magnified impact and compare it to the actual measurable impact of all the other CT users over the same time period

The CTR impact will completely disappear into the background impact of overall trail use.

In other words ‘relatively speaking’ there is Zero impact in physical terms, under any given conditions!

So yes, I agree with you, what you are really talking about is ‘perceived impact’ but I do not see how you could ever satisfy all the personal/individual “perceptions” of impact just by changing the ‘start’ time that a handful of riders choose to use this or any other 500 mile trail.

Finish here---Some will object to the idea of a CTR no matter what. ‘Impact’ is just one way to “rationalize” that objection.
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    I have decided to ITT the route starting tomorrow morning 6am. I am thinking of doing the Paul Hooge route instead- Hwy 285 and sections 22 and 23 (w/The Cataract Ridge reroute). I believe this route to be the best balance of ST and detours.

If anyone wants to join for any sections call me. I would enjoy the company. Planning on 7 days so finishing next Sunday afternoon hopefully.

Mark
    720-635-7429

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sure, I'll just drive up and start . Seriously, just like with any race changing the date would be bad, bad, bad. Even this small of a race. I'll be starting on July 28th at noon even if it's by myself. I have a small window of time to get this race done before I have to be back to work. I'm really looking forward to putting some faces to some names.

mtbr member
    Sure, I'll just drive up and start . Seriously, just like with any race changing the date would be bad, bad, bad. Even this small of a race. I'll be starting on July 28th at noon even if it's by myself. I have a small window of time to get this race done before I have to be back to work. I'm really looking forward to putting some faces to some names.
    Not sure what you are talking about. CTR date is pretty set in stone IMO. I bet you see at least 8-10 people start it July 28.

I have decided to go out on my own since I am not riding Stefan's route. I will post back in a few days with a ride report.

Just go ride!
    I’m glad to hear that you are an adopter of a section of the CT! That is admirable, and I personally encourage everyone (not just CTR riders) to volunteer or donate to the CT Foundation.

However, calling the CTR a “bandit” race is an absolute injustice. It is an individual, solo, self-supported time trial. No entry fee, no permit, very few riders – completely legitimate within USFS guidelines, and with a tremendous emphasis on personal responsibility. Something, I might add, that is seriously lacking in American society nowadays. No “banditry” about it.

All riders of the CTR understand that they are exactly the same as any other trail user. They will follow established rules and guidelines for using the CT just like everybody else. As bikers, we all know that this most notably includes yielding to equestrians and pedestrians, as well as all uphill traffic on the trail. Courtesy is of utmost importance! Other “treading lightly” suggestions are to avoid skidding and to dismount and walk through muddy areas. I have been unable to find any biking-specific trail use guidelines on the USFS website, but this and more info on biking etiquette can be found on the CT Foundation’s biking page. Practically speaking this is no different than yourself and a few of your buddies going for a ride together. Albeit, a typical CTRer may end up getting far fewer hours of sleep…

It is inevitable that anyone on the CT for 5+ days straight will encounter rain or hail, and thus potentially wet or muddy trail conditions. As far as I know, there are no rules or regulations prohibiting travel on the trail when it is muddy or wet - please correct me if I am wrong. In those situations, common courtesy dictates staying on the trail and getting muddy. Does this damage the trail in any permanent way? That is a question that has been discussed and studied myriad times, and as trail717 mentions, completely depends on your “perception” of impact. So, to answer your question, I personally think the implication is that, no matter how we idealize anyone’s trail etiquette, ultimately, every individual decides for themselves whether to continue or not in any given set of conditions - CTR rider or not.

During last year’s CTR, it rained 4 out of the 5 days I was on the trail. We rode through a lot of wet and muddy stuff, and I would challenge anyone to find any trace of our passing just a few short days later. I’m fairly certain that the only permanent damage occurred to my bike's drivetrain!

As mentioned numerous times already, the CTR amounts to 10 or so riders stretched over 530 miles. This is barely a drop in the bucket of users on the CT for any given week in the summer.

I am not promoting poor trail ethics, and I’m not trying to sound arrogant or condescending; it’s just that I whole-heartedly believe that this is a non-issue. Thousands of people use the CT daily, and I know that anyone attempting a solo, completely self-supported traverse of the CT has a greater sense of personal responsibility than the vast majority of the other 1000 trail users. From littering, to being courteous to others, to evaluating risks, to sticking to the muddy trail instead of trampling vegetation and creating “new” trails – solo, self-supported racing has evolved, and continues to evolve, based on a strict honor code.

I’ll take anyone’s bet, hands down, that CTRers (or GLRers or AZTers or GDRers or TDers or …ers) are some of the most conscientious trail users out there on any day of the week.

Perhaps “undoubtedly” is too strong a word? Think about the Firecracker 50. Some very muddy spots on that race and almost 1000 racers! Talk about impact. And the upcoming Breck 100? There’s bound to be mud and snow there. Part of it is even on the CT, and I’ve heard zero objections from the FS or the CTF. I invite any feedback from FS employees or CTF volunteers on this very issue. In some ways, it almost appears that having a race justifies the impact! Geeez, in my mind, that is appalling.

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    I have decided to ITT the route starting tomorrow morning 6am. I am thinking of doing the Paul Hooge route instead- Hwy 285 and sections 22 and 23 (w/The Cataract Ridge reroute). I believe this route to be the best balance of ST and detours.
    Good luck out there, Mark! Hope you have a great time, and I can't wait to hear (from my armchair) how your ITT goes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nicely said Stefan G, my thoughts exactly.

I think that as a species we have far greater issues to deal with than up to 15 people potentially creating tire/shoe prints in the mud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by polish coyote
    Nicely said Stefan

true......true

IT"S ALMOST TIME!!

mtbr member
    Good luck out there, Mark! Hope you have a great time, and I can't wait to hear (from my armchair) how your ITT goes!
    Thanks. It was you who led me down this path. First putting on the CTR 2007 and then pointing out to me that other routes are possible for touring/ITT. I will take some cheesy phone pix and enjoy the ride/people I meet as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

wet

So yeah just adding my 2 cents here. Last year it was wet, raining almost everyday and all, and I got to say almost all the areas the trail travels through seemed to deal quite well with the rain, in fact the worst areas were around Copper mt, where horses had made a big mess of the trail and a few roads where the few mtbers were the least effective in creating permanent damage. I agree we as riders in these underground events need to be super diligent in our use of public lands and how the rest of the public sees us using it, ie talking to folks not racing by them!!! So stay on the trail, be kind to hikers and horses and such, and what else could anyone ask for? Ok volunteer for a trail work day. I have been giving back to the CT as much as I can, doing trail work. The CT has made my life so much richer, I've hiked it a few times and biked all over it, I owe it to that series of places. Ok enough of me, be good, Jefe

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Where is a good place to camp outside of Denver and semi-close to the race start?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have a great yard as well. I suppose the front rangers dont know of any camping either so close to home. The parking lot at the end of sec. 1 has car camping. I got a ride home from there after a long day all the way from keystone gulch doing the southern detour.
    On another topic does anyone have a spot. I`ll pay the shipping both ways and some of the initial cost of the stupid thing. I think it will give me huge motivation and give the rest of ewe some entertainment value.
    I want to leave my gps and phone at home but family objects.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where is a good place to camp outside of Denver and semi-close to the race start?
    You could camp at Chatfield:
    http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/Chatfield/Camping/

It's definitely the closest but probably not the most secluded.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I got spare room here in Casa Plesko and can haul a couple people down to the race start. I'm in Westminster.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Just go ride!

SPOT + CTR possibility

There is a possibility that SPOT units used for the TD could be made available for CTRers if they wish. Carrying one would not be required, but for racers (and/or racer's families!) wanting one, the option could potentially be put in place.

I'm tentatively putting this out there to see what people intending to ride the CTR think about the idea. Post up, PM or email me!

As for an '08 roster, there look to be about 10 Fo' shizzles, a couple Prolly's, and quite a few rumours... I do not intend on posting an "official" roster until the afternoon of 7/28 when the prolly's and rumours are no more! However, if you do want to use a SPOT tracker, I would definitely need your contact info in advance to get things lined up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Stefan, check your pm's. The wife and I are kind of just wanting to camp out and I'm meeting my parents the day before the race to hang out and camp. I'd like to be within an hour drive of the start.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I have my own SPOT and don't mind it being used on a map/tracker page during the CTR.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

I'm how far behind?

Spot

I also have my own Spot. Let me know if I need to provide the numbers if using the tracking becomes a reality. Other wise it will be for my family/friends to keep track of me.

Jim
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    I also have my own Spot. Let me know if I need to provide the numbers if using the tracking becomes a reality. Other wise it will be for my family/friends to keep track of me.

Jim
    ditto for my spot, just let me know
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ct

I just ran across this forum (not sure how I missed) and wanted to say thanks for all the posts. Helpful and inspiring indeed. And to ride the trail in less then 7 days is impressive. Nice work!! I'm hitting the trail this weekend with the aim of rolling the 500 at a leisurely pace...12 days or so. Good luck with this years edition of the CTR.

TD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have my own SPOT and don't mind it being used on a map/tracker page during the CTR.
    Same here Stefan.

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by riverfever
    Same here Stefan.
    Wow, I think this is gonna be easy...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anyone have any better luck finding a hotel room in Durango? My wife will be watching the SPOT and heading down when I'm near the end. We haven't found anything that lets dogs stay there and is below $180 a night.

It's been a few years since I was in Durango but I KNOW I didn't throw that much loot down on a room.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

GPS File and Detours typed out

Ladies and Gents,

Because I'm so nice, I've done my best at creating a CTR GPX track with detours for your viewing pleasure. It exists unmoddifed and also pre-split into 500 point increments. If you would like to have a copy, please email me DIRECTLY, and I'll email it to you. If anyone who already got it this evening finds any problems/bugs, let me know and I'll try to fix it. It downloaded to my Garmin ETrex Vista HCx just fine and *looks* right but that's all I have to test with.

Stefan if you would like to put it on the CTR website that's cool with me.

Please note: I cannot promise that this is the 100% correct route, I haven't ridden all of it and that's the only way to really get a 100% GPS track. I've done my best and spent quite a lot of time on it comparing it to another couple sources but it's still a guide. Do not plan on this being your only method of navigation. Use your CT Guidebook and maps for navigational decision making.

P.S. My lovely wife has also typed up the detours from the 7th Edition guidebook in a Word document. If you have already PURCHASED the guidebook and would like a copy of the detours, please email me with the last word on page 149 and I'll send you the file. Electronic recreation is only for those who own the book as I don't want to violate any copyrights. Frankly we all have better things to do than retype words out of a book or waste time and money at Kinkos so I thought I'd share.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Anyone have any better luck finding a hotel room in Durango? My wife will be watching the SPOT and heading down when I'm near the end. We haven't found anything that lets dogs stay there and is below $180 a night.

It's been a few years since I was in Durango but I KNOW I didn't throw that much loot down on a room.
    I didn't get that far yet but if you find something let us know. My wife will probably be lugging our pup down to pick me up as well.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I didn't get that far yet but if you find something let us know. My wife will probably be lugging our pup down to pick me up as well.
    No sweat Chris. Even the Comfort Inn gets 180 a night. Need to change the name to Super Comfort Inn. Right now we're looking at KOA's. There is one of those in Durango that either has tent sites or the really small cabins. Cabins are right at 50 a night and they say they allow dogs. We're gonna call them in the a.m. They even have a pool so I could hang out in my Speedo and drink beer when we're done with this little shin dig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sounds to me like there needs to be a wive's support group during these things. My wife will be driving around camping/riding/playing with our dog during the race and meeting me in Durango as well. I imagine we'll be camping though.

mtbr member
    Ladies and Gents,

Because I'm so nice, I've done my best at creating a CTR GPX track with detours for your viewing pleasure. It exists unmoddifed and also pre-split into 500 point increments. If you would like to have a copy, please email me DIRECTLY, and I'll email it to you. If anyone who already got it this evening finds any problems/bugs, let me know and I'll try to fix it. It downloaded to my Garmin ETrex Vista HCx just fine and *looks* right but that's all I have to test with.

Please note: I cannot promise that this is the 100% correct route, I haven't ridden all of it and that's the only way to really get a 100% GPS track. I've done my best and spent quite a lot of time on it comparing it to another couple sources but it's still a guide. Do not plan on this being your only method of navigation. Use your CT Guidebook and maps for navigational decision making.

P.S. My lovely wife has also typed up the detours from the 7th Edition guidebook in a Word document. If you have already PURCHASED the guidebook and would like a copy of the detours, please email me with the last word on page 149 and I'll send you the file. Electronic recreation is only for those who own the book as I don't want to violate any copyrights. Frankly we all have better things to do than retype words out of a book or waste time and money at Kinkos so I thought I'd share.
    Aaa, I was just going to follow the tire tracks, you know, go light weight and all
    ---------------
    me have blog

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trail717
    Aaa, I was just going to follow the tire tracks, you know, go light weight and all
    light is right! Haha. Check yo inbox.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    light is right! Haha. Check yo inbox.
    I'd like to know if you have all possible ice cream destinations within a 43 mile radius along the route marked as Waypoints?

Just go ride!

OK, this is kinda cheesy, but I got married in Durango and put together a "lodging" page for people that were coming in from all over. It's 3 years old now, but maybe it'll help... Good luck!

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I'd like to know if you have all possible ice cream destinations within a 43 mile radius along the route marked as Waypoints?
    Of course, just for you! Haha.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Just go ride!

Good job! Thanks Chris!

The GPX files are now available on the CTR website!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Stefan, did you get my pm?

Which way? Uphill.
    While I will now be out of town for the start (dang it, I wanted to photo the start and do the first couple miles with everyone) I can offer up my yard for people to camp. I'm a 15-20 minute drive to the start or a 45 minute bike. I'm in Morrison.

As stated before Chatfield State Park has camping right there.

I also believe that if you get past Lenny's Rest (~8 miles in on CT) you can camp anywhere. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

One other place is Bear Creek Lake Park. They also have camping comparable to the Chatfield camping. It's right by my house so driving and biking times are similar.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    I`m out. A finger/hand injury 10 days ago was feeling pretty good until I rode the mtb for the first time in 3 weeks, huge pain and swelling again, time for an x-ray, I read recovery could be months. It has been a tough training year with snow and with 2 major vacations I never felt too good about the year. Now this injury tells me it just wasnt meant to be.. I`ll join wookie on the DL and hope for an 09 start. A long shot to do an ITT in the fall, but the season was pretty much non-existant for me and I`m off the bike again.
    I may surprise a few of you on the trail just to say hello. Happy trails and good luck out there, Dan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Spot still available for CTR?

Hi Stefan,

Trish Stevenson from Asheville NC checking in....i'm computer illiterate..just so you know you also have a post from me on another thread. Hope i can manage to navigate better on the bike in CO.Anyhow, i might be interested in carrying a Spot if one is available.Should be at Heidi's Deli at 9:30am.Looking forward to some amazing Colorado views not to mention singletrack.We'll meet up soon
    cheers,
    Trsih

Really I am that slow

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TLSRIDE
    Hi Stefan,

Trish Stevenson from Asheville NC checking in....i'm computer illiterate..just so you know you also have a post from me on another thread. Hope i can manage to navigate better on the bike in CO.Anyhow, i might be interested in carrying a Spot if one is available.Should be at Heidi's Deli at 9:30am.Looking forward to some amazing Colorado views not to mention singletrack.We'll meet up soon
    cheers,
    Trsih
    Sweet I think a few guy's are gonna get chick'ed!

Awesome Trish!
    Read my BLOG!

Really I am that slow

hey yall

gonna giver another go this year! See yall at prerace dealo!

Might hose me for the on Pbville 100.

But right now itching to rock it on this route!
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TLSRIDE
    Hi Stefan,

cheers,
    Trsih
    i thought i posted this a couple days ago but i see now it never showed up on here: i have a spot that anyone is welcome to use for this ride if they want me to send it to them. just PM me if you're interested. at this point i probably wouldn't be able to ship it out until monday but that should still be enough time to get somewhere by thursday or friday.

Just go ride!

Smile SPOT On!

Looks like the SPOT option will be there for any who are interested, and there seems to be quite a bit of interest! Joe Polk of MTBcast has once again offered use of his toll-free # for call-ins, and he will also host a map of the riders on his site as well. This is gonna be great fun to follow along! Use of a SPOT unit is, of course, completely voluntary and up to each rider's preference.

I'm rounding some up now, and having them mailed to me. I plan on handing them out at the pre-race meeting, so if you do want one, please show up for that. No guarantees there will be enough to go around either, but I'll do what I can.

AFAIK, there are looking to be about 12 CTRers this year - 2 of which are female!!

I also meant to say that it will be each rider's responsibility to mail their borrowed SPOT unit back to its original owner!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1