Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Just go ride!

Colorado Trail Race '08

Starts at noon on Monday, July 28!

There seems to be even more interest this time around, so it's about time to start a new discussion thread. Before asking a bunch of stuff here, head over to the webpage first:

http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr/

And just a reminder, this is a self-timed, individual time-trial, so as long as you play by the rules, you can start whenever you want! The date has been picked as a balance between daylight hours, temperatures, snowpack and thunderstorms to give riders the best chance of finishing.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Just go ride!

Towns en route.

The CTR rolls through:

Tarryall
    Frisco
    Copper Mountain
    Leadville
    Buena Vista
    Silverton

Lake City is ~3 mi. off route. Not many services in Tarryall

Last year, mandatory check-ins were at Copper or Frisco, Buena Vista and Silverton. However, riders were encouraged to check in at Leadville and/or Lake City.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks a ton. That really helps with my planning. I wonder how many people will show up this year?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is there any plans for a pre-race meeting and/or beers??

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by joatley
    Yes, there will be a pre-race meeting. Location and time TBD, but expect somewhere within a mile or two of the trailhead, around 10am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joatley
    Oh - there's plans for beers. And if we can get my wife drunk enough I might just get to do the race.

Really I am that slow
    hummm I won't be starting with yall but planing on tt'ing it late aug or sept.

Too busy with tour divide and lt100
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Grizzly
    This is on my list. Just not this year. I can't wait though to hear all the stories that '08 will bring.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Stefan- so there are [I][I]someservices in Tarryall? The guidebook says nothing...knowing that I can get at least a couple thousand calories of junk food on that bicycle leg would make a big differencein my planning...
    I'm still on track for doing this as a "tour" earlier in the month...do participants want a post regarding any negative trail conditions noted or would you rather find out for yer-selves (that'd be my preference if I was going...).
    Mike

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Stefan- so there are [I][I]someservices in Tarryall? The guidebook says nothing...knowing that I can get at least a couple thousand calories of junk food on that bicycle leg would make a big differencein my planning...
    Yes, there are "some" services in Tarryall, but they are certainly not 24-hour convenience store type services. Last year, I rolled through there just before dawn, and the 1 motel/bar/restaurant looking place was shut tight. Apparently others were able to get a philly-cheesesteak sandwich around there someplace later in the day! If you want to ride off-route a few miles south off of Kenosha Pass, I believe there are some services in the small community of Jefferson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    Yes, there are "some" services in Tarryall, but they are certainly not 24-hour convenience store type services. Last year, I rolled through there just before dawn, and the 1 motel/bar/restaurant looking place was shut tight. Apparently others were able to get a philly-cheesesteak sandwich around there someplace later in the day! If you want to ride off-route a few miles south off of Kenosha Pass, I believe there are some services in the small community of Jefferson.
    Like I said, touring. Just before dawn, I'll be asleep. 30 or so miles into the bicylce route should be mid-day for me. Hot lunch!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Pics of CTR rig

I was out training on the CT yesterday with my wife and thought I would post some pics of my rig for the CTR. Training is going well as I have been riding a lot and tweaking my gear. Segment 1, 2, 3 are in great shape and I plan on riding the detour and segment 5 and 6 over the next few weeks. I'll sure I will hit snow over Kenosha Pass but we'll see.

Any questions or comments...please let me know....

Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow, perfect timing post! I went out today for a fully loaded training ride as well for the CTR. Everything seems to be in place for me gear wise. Of course I'll be tweaking a few things here and there.
    I traded out my Osprey Talon 22 for an Ergon BD2 pack. Aside from the lack of pockets I really like it. I'm having some pockets sewn in though so no worries there.
    My total pack weight without food and water is around 11.5 lbs.
    Man I just want to finish it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey Sherpaxc..I have not seen the Ergon packs around town..I reviewed them on-line and they look pretty nice. I am using the new Camelback Octane 14+ (http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm) pack and have been really happy with how it rides and carries. It can hold 1400 cu inches of stuff and compresses down with a zipper on the outside when caryying smaller loads.

I have around 15 lbs (includes 100oz water) in my pack and around 10 lbs of gear on my bike. I was going to use my OR advanced bivy but came decided to go with the new Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent (2.6 lbs) for more comfort. I hate sleeping in a bivy unless it is really cold or rainy so I figured I better get comfortable. The tent weights about 1 lb more but it much more comfortable.

Happy Training

Kyle

mtbr member

Me To

Quote Originally Posted by kbstone13
    I was out training on the CT yesterday with my wife and thought I would post some pics of my rig for the CTR. Training is going well as I have been riding a lot and tweaking my gear. Segment 1, 2, 3 are in great shape and I plan on riding the detour and segment 5 and 6 over the next few weeks. I'll sure I will hit snow over Kenosha Pass but we'll see.

Any questions or comments...please let me know....

Kyle
    Got in a ‘training ride’ on the CT this weekend with Jim.

Jim enjoying the last bump down to the Platte river bridge on Sat

More at http://desertmountainride.blogspot.com/
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc
    Thanks a ton. That really helps with my planning. I wonder how many people will show up this year?

Yourself and whoever else shows - and your gonna finish it too! Or else!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I knew I shouldn't have even looked this out

Ah Man I knew I just should have stayed away, but I just can't stay away, hearing you guys talk about this thing is killing me. So for the record I am out for the 08 race, still recovering from the spleen thing, haven't riden my Mtb since November!!! Yikes. But can't wait to watch you guys all suffer, ha. So keep up the planning and scheming and rock that s&*t. Coolio, good luck to all and I would be honored to add to the discussion, Peace Jefe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    Ah Man I knew I just should have stayed away, but I just can't stay away, hearing you guys talk about this thing is killing me. So for the record I am out for the 08 race, still recovering from the spleen thing, haven't riden my Mtb since November!!! Yikes. But can't wait to watch you guys all suffer, ha. So keep up the planning and scheming and rock that s&*t. Coolio, good luck to all and I would be honored to add to the discussion, Peace Jefe
    Keep getting better Jefe

How soon till you get to go 100%?
    ---------------
    me have blog

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    Yeah, it's killing me too, but I guess I can't complain since I'm out this year because of a baby, not a spleen.

Man, I sure hope you have full recovery with your spleen, and hopefully we'll start the CTR '09 together. Now that I'm used to the fact that I won't be racing, I too am looking forward to watching everybody suffer and survive and have a great time doing it! Current count for the race is 9 fo' shizzlez.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

someday...

I am due to get another CAT scan sometime soon to see if all is healed inside there, it is still sore and just feels weird. Internal injuries are strange, it's not like a broken bone or anything, no obvious thing to watch heal, just a presence inside that just doesn't feel right. I am hiking a bit and riding to work, very short commute, a few road rides, but even that was overdoing it a bit. SO it is torture, everyone riding, but hell it could be worse, right? So maybe a few weeks I can ride off road, I hope untill then, books, guitar, and dog walks....so my advice, save the pushing it for the bike riding, not driving, cars bad, bikes good....Take care y'all Jefe

mtbr member
    I`m in again this year. Looks like under ten people so far.
    Jefe, bummer, my healing vibes are being sent, Stefan, congrats on a new challenge. You two will be missed, Dave too.
    I have a whole bunch of new pain this year, cronic neck{from last years CTR}, tore an ACL this winter plus more. Who cares about that? I have a new bike and new gear so I`m all set, now if it would stop snowing.
    Hoping for a finish on the seventh day, Dan.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by consumerbydesign
    I`m in again this year. Looks like under ten people so far.
    Jefe, bummer, my healing vibes are being sent, Stefan, congrats on a new challenge. You two will be missed, Dave too.
    I have a whole bunch of new pain this year, cronic neck{from last years CTR}, tore an ACL this winter plus more. Who cares about that? I have a new bike and new gear so I`m all set, now if it would stop snowing.
    Hoping for a finish on the seventh day, Dan.
    danny boy, sounds like you still got the right attitude. i'm sending 3+ out from NC this year (including trish stevenson) to represent in my stead. they're all very safety-oriented types so you'll get along well. i'll be with brand new cub by then and following on MTBcast. do something about last year's wacky-rack set up b/f you roll. see jeff boatman at CDW maybe? -matty lee

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Matt, just curious, who from NC is coming?

Mountian Goat
    Jun 2008

Hello CTR and question

This is my offical introduction to you all. Happy to find a message board! This is TURK and I will be there! Stefan - you said its a self timed event and we can start whenver we want - I thought we are all going to start together at 12:00 Monday - we can start say Saturday before Monday now? Please explain, my plan was to always start at the time slated on your website. Turk

Just go ride!
    Hi Turk-

In a nutshell, this is a self-timed time trial, and you can start whenever you want. From the webpage: "There is no entry fee, no support, no registration, and no prize money. It is an individual time trial: all that is provided is a route description, a suggested start time, and a list of results."

I know most people intend on starting at noon on Monday, and it does make things more interesting that way, but you are not obligated to start then. Being a solo, self-supported and self-timed event, there is really nothing to restrict (or prevent) people from starting whenever they want. However, in the spirit of camaraderie, and for some companionship and added competitive motivation, there is a suggested start time.

Make sense?

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    Yes, there will be a pre-race meeting. Location and time TBD, but expect somewhere within a mile or two of the trailhead, around 10am.
    There's a Heidi's Brooklyn Deli less than a mile from the TH in Roxborough(Waterton Rd and Rampart Range Rd) that would work nicely.

If you want beers, there's a dive bar, The North Shore at Chatfield and Wadsworth, a bit further than Heidi's.

I'm not riding this year, but I plan on ditching out of work a little and heading down to take pictures of the start.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

go ride!!
    I'm a nc cat from the town of ash-vegas but now am located in denver. Am unable to do the race when you all start but am gonna do my own tt on the CT starting on June 28. Rolling it with the fixie, will see how it all works out. The time is near. peace. e

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Does anyone have a GPX track of the CTR that they'd be willing to share for the race? I just got one of those gizmo's and I'd like to use it during the race.
    Anyone?
    thanks.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

GPX track

Pop me an email and I'll send what I have along when I get a chance to visit my inlaws. All my GPX tracks are on their computer since I just have a mac here at home. I could swear I made one last year although I will definitely have to go through it and make sure it matches the final course.

No guarantee it's 100% right, yada yada. The CTR is one of the few ultra courses where a GPS is mostly unnecessary but they're still fun to play with and take a lot of the guess work out of a few turns here and there.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I kind of felt that it wouldn't be necessary but it's a fun new toy that I'd like to play with. I have a Mac as well but my buddy is a GPS guru and say's he can work with it. Anyway, I heard from a friend up there that for the most part you could ride/hike the entire CTR with barely a look at a map (in the daylight of course). I've still got my maps though! Thanks.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    You can make due with a mac but ScottM's TopoFusion software is soooo nice on a PC. One of these days I've got to get a PC here at home so I can use it more.

I'll make the CTR track available to anyone that wants it after I get a chance to find it in my archives and compare it to Stefan's laid out course, just make sure you know not to rely on it, blah blah blah.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Race related questions here:

1. How far into the race is Frisco and are their descent supplies there? I'm trying to figure out if I need food for one or 2 days of riding. I'm hoping to time Tarryall and score a meal there.

2. What is the longest stretch between supply stops, where, and how long?

3. Please clarify, we DON'T go by the Official Guidebook directions for the Tarryall detour but instead go by the directions that are linked on the CTR website correct? All other mandatory detours we follow the guidebook?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Race related questions here:

1. How far into the race is Frisco and are their descent supplies there? I'm trying to figure out if I need food for one or 2 days of riding. I'm hoping to time Tarryall and score a meal there.

3. Please clarify, we DON'T go by the Official Guidebook directions for the Tarryall detour but instead go by the directions that are linked on the CTR website correct? All other mandatory detours we follow the guidebook?

Thanks.
    The race starts a few hours earlier this year. that combined with riding late into the evening the first night should put me in Frisco after business hours but while some stores are still open.
    Still will plan on two nights out to start tho. Frisco has all one could need. I found nothing in Terryall. Just before getting back to dirt I found a cheesesteak dealer that saved me and I din`nt know it. The detour is described on Stefans website and in great detail at the pre-race meeting. Another detour is slightly different then described in the book, dont have my papers with me on vacation, but it is easy and was decided at the last minute last year.
    I never saw the longest stretch between stores last year and have a mucho bigger pack this year. Not enough food was always a nagging problem. I would say between B.V.and Silverton is the longest stretch, but there are a few small places like Princston hot Springs that has food til they close.
    Don`t over plan like I did. Just get a bigger pack. See you there, Dan.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Heh

All I have to say is I like to eat Skimping on food is a baaaaad idea in my mind. I don't know how many people I heard out on the GDR/TD this year that ran out of food while I didn't restock (ice cream and hot meals I got lucky enough to find not withstanding) until several days in.

I typically carry with me stuff I like or need to eat that I can't find on the trail. Then I supplement that with whatever I can find as it runs low. If I had to guess, I won't buy a lot of food until BV and then I'll stock up for the run all the way to Silverton. That's definitely the furthest distance although lake city isn't far off route too.

Mountain towns are weird. I never plan on getting anything late at night although I think Frisco probably has 24 hour gas station at least. Maybe someone who raced last year can confirm that.

Also the Tarryall detour in the guidebook is just incomplete if I remember right. They just stop the directions around mile 50 even though that's not the end.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    All I have to say is I like to eat Skimping on food is a baaaaad idea in my mind. I don't know how many people I heard out on the GDR/TD this year that ran out of food while I didn't restock (ice cream and hot meals I got lucky enough to find not withstanding) until several days in.

I typically carry with me stuff I like or need to eat that I can't find on the trail. Then I supplement that with whatever I can find as it runs low. If I had to guess, I won't buy a lot of food until BV and then I'll stock up for the run all the way to Silverton. That's definitely the furthest distance although lake city isn't far off route too.

Mountain towns are weird. I never plan on getting anything late at night although I think Frisco probably has 24 hour gas station at least. Maybe someone who raced last year can confirm that.

Also the Tarryall detour in the guidebook is just incomplete if I remember right. They just stop the directions around mile 50 even though that's not the end.
    There's a wall mart in frisco that is open 24hrs i belive.... Its pertty much right on the route maybe a few block off.... also Pancho springs isn't far off the route and theres a gas station and another wall mart between there and silida....
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Dave FTW!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

So jealous....

So yeah there ain't much between Buena Vista and Lake city, a detour into Poncha Springs on Hwy 50, but not much there either, and this stretch is perhaps the hardest, tough trail conditions, not too many other folks and miles and miles of riding and walking, very slow at times. Lake city has a good bit of stuff if you get there early in the evening, but plan on everything being closed down late or in the morning, same for Silverton, not much there either except bars. From Silverton to D-town is only like 73 miles, but this crushed me last year, and again nothing till you get to durango. So my advice, eat lots early in the race and resupply often, frisco, copper, leadville, buena vista, stock up till Lake city, or if you can make it to Silverton, I couldn't carry enough to get there personally, it is a long haul. Also there trail is so tough between Hwy 50 and Cotchetopa park/Los Pinos Pass that be prepared to give yourself a pick me up, a cup of coffee, shot of bourbon, something as I was ready to head north and go home a few times through there, it is heart breakingly slow. So yeah just a few ideas good luck Y'all Jefe

Just go ride!
    Frisco is at about 150 miles and 17k of gain in. First racers were there last year in around 24 hours, longer for others. Wish I knew more details for Tarryall, but it was all closed up when I rode through.

Looks like others have given you good feedback here. If you don't ride off-route, the longest stretch is easily B.V. to Silverton. 200 miles and 22k of gain. There are some sloooow miles in there too. I thought I had enough food for that stretch, but after 48 hours, I ended up detouring the 3 miles into Lake City.

We do follow the official guidebook directions for the Tarryall detour. They were incompletely printed in the 7th edition, but I believe it has been revised. There is a link to the description from the CTR webpage, or click here.

We do not start the La Garita detour as described in the guidebook, but instead continue on the CT beyond Cochetopa Pass for an extra 10 or so miles of scenic meadow riding. Then, the CTR turns right on Saguache Park Rd. and reconnects with the La Garita Detour described in the guidebook.

Any more route questions? Keep 'em coming. We'll go through the whole route at the pre-race meeting too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Stefan...is the pre-race meeting location determined yet?

Disregard.
    Last edited by riverfever; 07-09-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Just go ride!

We the people ... Pre-race Meeting!

Let's follow nepbug's excellent suggestion, and have the pre-race meeting at 9:30 AM at Heidi's Brooklyn Deli on the corner of Rampart Range Rd. and Waterton Rd.

The meeting is not mandatory, but will be a good chance to meet the other racers and clarify any other details before the noon start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Howdy

I was just wondering what everyone does to prepare for this kind of race...other than alot of riding, which I am doing. I am interested, as I had to compare doing triathlons or just getting more use out of the bike I just got. Good thing I went with getting more off the road.

Anyways, preparation before the race and what you bring with on the bike, other fun and useful tips.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Howdy...Just wondering how you guys prepare for these races...other than lots of miles on the bike. Just looking into the details before and during the race and all that goes through it.

Looking to do one of these races, specifically the colorado one soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter05
    Howdy...Just wondering how you guys prepare for these races...other than lots of miles on the bike. Just looking into the details before and during the race and all that goes through it.

Huge, huge topic, start with the CTR link, drill down through all the CTR and other "multi-day & self-supported" threads, then start preping & experimenting in the areas you personaly feel you need to work on....

Depending on your background, perhaps doing the CTR in 09 might be a reasonable goal, but unless you are 'pulling a leg' with your 'where do I start' question, attempting it in 08 would be way more than just difficult
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter05

I`m wondering the same. A little on the job training, show up for the race and give it a go. That is the best "training". Pick some brains on the trail. Check out the gear, bikes and where you end up ded. I went about half way, best training ever.
    My approach on my second try is much more relaxed, This is a mix between a race and a vacation. Other then dropping in on a few resort towns, spending a week on the Colorado Trail is more then a ride. That`s what keeps me interested. If I had no hours in the saddle I would still show up.
    I will be "racing" this year, but I don`t know what or who against. Each rider has a distinct personality pertaining to this ride.
    Jefe, Stefan, veteran GLR riders just what we expected. Ethan, when more people like him show up with more experience , the bar might be raised, a "just show upper" for sure. Jason, nice write up in that magazine, thanks. Your nap in the beginning and dealing with pain late was a smart race? I was most impressed by Jasons ride b/c he passed me on the "3rd' day and got to BV that day when I barely made Leadville. 18 hours from Silverton to the finish, dang. Fred, "Steady Freddy" nuf said.
    Matthew, thanks for doing a recovery ride and being slow enough to cat and mouse we me. Hilarious, a mover and a shaker. Relaxed.
    Mark probably had the best "vacation"b/c he was out there the longest. Best training ride.
    Me{Dan} oldest fart@43, just a dreamer.
    Dave, when you set that whiskey glass down do you use a coaster?
    Jim, my neighbor, let`s get some riding in soon. Finished a bike build the night before the race, he better show up again.
    This is one of those times when I remember everything and everyone vividly, that should put some perspective on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I pretty much read all the blogs, threads, articles I could get my hands on. Looked at all the pictures of all the different gear as well as read up on some of the lightweight backpacking sites. From there I started to test gear on overnighters (I live in Austin, so it wasn't like I was way out in the middle of nowhere) just riding all the trails all day and camping in the woods at night. I learned pretty quick what would work, what wouldn't and things I needed to work on, as well as things I'd thought I'd need/want but then realized I was tired of carrying it around (like a small book to read at night).
    Training wise for me has been just getting on the bike. Luckily for me the wife and I spent 3 weeks in France bicycle touring in June (tough life huh ) and since then I've been getting up before dawn to get out and get about 4 hours on the bike and a couple more in the evening fully loaded to get my body (and knees) adjusted to the weight. It's been a process for me for sure but I've loved every minute of it.
    The only thing that makes me nervous about the CTR is running low on food and lightening. I went to the store yesterday and LOADED pretty much all my extra space with food. I know I won't need that much at the beginning of the trail, but if I don't use it then I'll have it for later. The stories of all these riders going hungry...screw that, I'll take an extra 4 pounds of food no problem.
    I've also found that many people are very helpful when asking them questions. Matt Lee, Jaston Trimm, Chris Plesko, etc...these guys have really gone out of thier way to help me with my questions/concerns. I'll be happy to share my "limited" knowledge to anyone who asks (God help them).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluedodge
    I'm a nc cat from the town of ash-vegas but now am located in denver. Am unable to do the race when you all start but am gonna do my own tt on the CT starting on June 28. Rolling it with the fixie, will see how it all works out. The time is near. peace. e

Did you make it? Are you still out there? Please share your adventure with us.

Thanks

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    June 28th would have been tough to make it. There is still mucho snow in a few spots.

I ran into Mike Brown the other day. He was touring and seemed to be loving life out on the trail. We were coming down from Mt.Elbert and he was pushing up the hill. We chatted for a bit and then he continued on to BV. Really fun to meet him by chance out on the trail and he said all was good except that he had skipped Searl pass so far.

3 weeks to go! It's hot and melting snow fast up high but still freezing up there at night.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    I guess I better offer up some floor space for any racers coming in from a great distance. As long as you not a big lump on the couch for too long. We live about an hour from the start line and just ten minutes from some great scouting missions on the C.T. around Frisco, drop me a P.M.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

C.T. Trail Conditions - Segment #15

Just returned from some great training on the C.T. this week. Rode north from Shavano campground Monday (Segment #14) and loved the trail. We were hit with a pretty good storm so we opted to return to camp. The trail was is good shape and decent riding.

Tuesday we left Shavano campground and headed south on Segment #15. Our plan was to reach Marshall Pass. The trail was is good condition until about 11,000 feet when we started hitting snow and the trail was pretty sloppy. We slogged on till about 300 feet from tree line then decided to turn back. We were planning on driving on to Sargents Mesa but the rain continued so we headed back home.

Here are some pics of the trail around 11,000 feet.

I wouldn't worry too much about the snow as it is melting pretty quick. Most of the snow I have been encountering in the San Juans in on the north side of the mountain, in tree line. Once you bust out above tree line, the snow is mostly gone with the exception of snow fields.

Kyle

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    June 28th would have been tough to make it. There is still mucho snow in a few spots.

I ran into Mike Brown the other day. He was touring and seemed to be loving life out on the trail. We were coming down from Mt.Elbert and he was pushing up the hill. We chatted for a bit and then he continued on to BV. Really fun to meet him by chance out on the trail and he said all was good except that he had skipped Searl pass so far.

3 weeks to go! It's hot and melting snow fast up high but still freezing up there at night.
    I was wondering if he had made it out there. I wonder if he decided to use the hammock that he took an interest in. I just got done making my super lightweight hammock for this race. It's MUCH lighter than any hammock I've ever used.

I'm so jealous of all the riders that get to actually pre-ride sections of the trail. Not really because it gives you an advantage (which, obviously it does) but because you get to ride the trail period. It's so hot right now in Austin. The next 5 days are predicted to be 100 degrees with high humidity.

Anyone going to use a SPOT for this race?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast