Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Cohutta 100 2013

So the Cohutta 100 in Tennessee is quickly approaching and I am getting my bike ready for the race. Hoping my foot/ankle injury that has had me sidelined will even allow me to start the race.

Question to anyone who knows the race. That damned little creek crossing near the beginning. Last year was my first year doing this race and not knowing the course at all, came up on this algae invested little obstacle with a bit of hesitation. For those that don't know about this deal, it is like a 20 foot wide creek, with flat rocks that span it, but the rocks are submerged in water about a half inch, so they are slick. They are also not aligned so somehow I guess you would bunny hop sideways about mid way through : ) I know the key here is speed, but like I said the rocks are not aligned and if you hit that hole at speed your gonna have a wet nasty crash, probably break both collar bones and a patella. Is there some secret passage across this thing? Also there are a lot of spectators at this spot just waiting for the crashes I suspect. Like nascar.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Just ride through
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

High Gravity Haze

Cohutta 100 2013

I've found that if you enter the crossing from the concrete side slightly to the right then keep your line slightly aiming towards the left of the other side you can generally ride it without bunny hopping at all. This works regardless of wheel size. There are a couple of other working lines through it that seem to work better for a 29" wheel than a 26" wheel simply due to the spacing between the rocks. I've ridden it for over 15 years and I still occasionally miss it so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Excellent thanks! I remembered seeing a video and went and found it. Cohutta Pre-ride and shows a good shot of the rocks. Of course last year there must have been a wetter week before or some melting snowpack, because I remember the water covering the surface. I drove into a hole and had to put feet down in the water. Some foreign guy came up and was like, "best way go just go speed" just go speed through" . I am thinking well I am already through and I crashed so like..wtf. I would love to sit here and discuss this but I have to go. Also bike chain became very very squeaky after going through that stream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Local here, I ride that section quite a bit. Try not to turn on the rocks once you are in the creek, as you know. There are two slabs about 3 ft before the other side that have a wheel killing gap between them. If you see a gap, try to lift your front wheel over it and hop your back wheel over as well. The edges of the flat slabs are extremely sharp. Many a rear wheel has been pinched flatted or burped there. Speed is your friend on this one, just be wary of the gaps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am going to try this image. (and it looks dry here, that day I remember rushing water

Good advice thanks. Well my experience was I came up on this thing from the dirt side. no riders were in front of me so I had nothing to go by. I had no clue so I went for it, made it almost all the way across and then hit that monster hole with the front wheel and came to a dead stop. Stepped down in the water with one foot and the other slipping around on the algae rocks...So I had a soaked foot the rest of the day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cohutta 100 2013-cohutta_stream_crossing.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cohutta 100 2013-cohutta_stream_crossing.jpgTry that again

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cohutta 100 2013-stream_entrance.jpgBig slabs at the entrance. Piece of cake but looks deadly slick

mtbr member
    dude if you are that worried get off your bike and walk 20 feet... I have never had any issues with this crossing even the first time I went through it and missed the good line completely. I am more worried about that hour of climbing with the deer fly's around mile 60.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Deer Flies ? lol

Last year I don't remember any...So I should carry a can of deep woods off ?

For deer flies stop and hold both hands above your head. when they land on your arm, scchmack em with the other hand. OF course this is not much of a benefit when there are a 50 circling you.

mtbr member
    Deer flies? I just remember vultures circling overhead thinking they were going to get a free meal sometime soon!
    Last edited by santacruzer; 03-04-2013 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does anyone have a room for rent the weekend of the race?? We are to guys driving from South florida... Please if you do so.. Let me know

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tomyslim View Post
    Does anyone have a room for rent the weekend of the race?? We are to guys driving from South florida... Please if you do so.. Let me know

Hey dude,

I may. Email me at lndshin@yahoo.ca. We are very close to the race start!

Linda

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about the rocky stream crossing or the insects that never are really and issue....worry about that new 2000 foot climb that they put in last year around the mid way point. That thing is brutal. I hit that and just went backwards last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the rocky stream crossing or the insects that never are really and issue....worry about that new 2000 foot climb that they put in last year around the mid way point. That thing is brutal. I hit that and just went backwards last year.

+1!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thank you for the reply, I got a room already..
    See you there!

Tomas

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you for the reply, I got a room already..
    See you there!

Tomas
    Cool, see you there!

If anyone is looking for accommodations, I have room for 2, maybe 3 in our cabin. We are 9 miles from the Ococee Centre.

Email me at lndshin@yahoo.ca

Pedaler
    I second everyone who has said to keep a straight line, with speed, through the creek crossing.

The big issue issue with this race is the climb from Mulberry Gap to the top of Potato Patch Mountain. That thing is stiff.

Go make a difference
    Hey friend,
    For the 3rd year now,33North Adventures is offering a lodging package that includes (2) nights bunkhouse (with hot showers), post race dinner, and Sunday breakfast. We have plenty of room so don't worry if we have space -- just go ahead and make your reservations!

Details HERE.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone know what the trail conditions are like? We are just starting to see the frost come out of the trails here in southern Ontario. Most trails are still unrideable!

Not much of a course description up. What are the climbs like?

mtbr member
    Course is in good shape right now. We've had a bit of rain but the single track drains really well. All we need is a couple days of decent weather for things to dry out. And the 10day forecast looks great . Should be awesome out there.

Most of the single track is smooth. The vast majority of the climbing is on fire roads. I've raced the 65 the past several years so I can't comment on the 100 from personal experience, but I ride that area about once a month. I know they changed the course last year and added a bunch of climbing. If you look for old race reports make sure you keep in mind the course will be the same as last year but quite a bit different than 2011 and earlier.
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Update: I was wrong. It will not be awesome. Raining and chilly. I really don't mind racing/riding in the rain, I just hate starting in the rain. On a positive note, the pre-ride should be great.
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yup, beautiful day to pre-ride, but tomorrow looks nasty.

Let's just hope that it's "light rain" vs a nasty steady downpour all day.

-Tom

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, that was a hard race. Slick, soft and brutal conditions! Super epic day.

mtbr member
    epic or miserable? lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast