mtbr member

Chain Lube for 100 Miler in MD

If we don't get a bunch of rain later this week and weekend I will be doing the Patapsco 100, a new 100 miler in Maryland. This course is going to be pretty tough with a lot of varied terrain and some mud likely due to all of the recent rain. I am putting a brand new chain on my bike and looking for chain lube recommendations.

I did a pre-ride last weekend and there was a good bit of mud on the upper part of the course (about 8 miles or so) and I started getting chain suck like crazy. What are your recommendations for chain lube for this event? I don't want to have to lube my chain more than a couple times during the race. Based on the reviews it looks like Chain-L or Dumonde Tech would be good choices. What if I use one of those options and need to re lube during the race? It doesn't seem like these would be good lubing options during a pit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For those conditions, I use Finish Line Wet (also called Cross Country), and cut it with Brakleen aerosol solvent to help it penetrate the chain, then flash off the light ends, leaving a very tenacious lube behind. Then I let it dry a day, then do it again. You can do this with Chain-L, too, if you are determined to spend more money.

Don't worry about lubing during the race. If you need it -- and you will, nothing lasts 100 miles -- just take what is offered at the aid stations and don't worry about it. If I have to re-lube myself, I use TriFlow aerosol, because, well, I own a big can of it that's been around for nearly 10 years!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use the Finish Line ceramic lube. This is probably the best stuff Ive ever used. If you have to relube, just use whatever, your not going to know the difference. Dont over think it.

Dirty South Underdog
    Pro Gold Xtreme
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

They call me Shoogs
    NFS will last the entire race...

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Chain Lube for 100 Miler in MD

I live and ride in neighboring WV and swear by tri flow.

mtbr member
    I've tried a bunch and Finish Line is the only lube I like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Chain-L -- I know many believe it won't last 100 miles in the dirt - and that is probably true depending in conditions. But i have run well over 200 miles on the road with it and not had a problem and had some of the longest lasting chains I have ever had. Last year at Lumberjack I did not have any so I ran triflow oil - let it soak in and then put squirt over the top of it. That lasted 100 miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    oil - let it soak in and then put squirt over the top of it. That lasted 100 miles.
    A really good trick I forgot to include. I spray Maxima Chain Wax over my oiled chain the day after oiling. It really does prolong the life of the lube.

A small, but related derail, in this day and age of bikes that perform like we would not have believed 10 years ago, why can't we buy chains that just never need to be lubed? I'd gladly pay a LOT for this. There has to be some kind of space-age coating that would work. The human engine is too weak to try o-ring chains like motorcycles use, but come on Shimano, SRAM, and KMC engineers, I'm throwing down the gauntlet!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have been using a local lube here in Bend, Oregon. i haven't had one problem with it in the Dust Bowl of Central Oregon.

TERRAIN CONTROL INDUSTRIES - HOME