mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Camelbak o-ring lube

I struggled for years with tight camelbak closures; they are almost impossible to open.
    I recently started pulling the o-ring off, putting cooking oil on it, and re-installing. I used pam cooking spray, and takes a few seconds. I also tried keg lube, which did not work so well.

It does not last more than a day or two, but is a massive improvement, especially for an event like SM100. Closing is so easy, you need to be careful not to turn further than needed. Opening is much easier but still takes a little to get it going.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Don't know if you were looking for something organic but we used to use 3M dielectric silicon grease to lube o-rings. Works great but I guess you'd have to watch getting down into the bladder.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah I've found this to be a complete PITA too. I frequently use a pair of pliers to get some leverage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Food Grade Silicon Grease

This stuff is made to lubricate machinery used to process/package food.

Does not promote bacteria growth and you can eat it without any ill affects!

Not sure where you can get it retail though.

Tilos

mtbr member
    Couldn't cooking oil get rancid over time and make your tummy feel bad??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    a few drops of mineral oil

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've used neosporin (already in my first aid pack) and lip balm to lube o-rings on my water filter and camelback in the past.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Good Find on the Spray

Quote Originally Posted by insect_o_man
    I'm thinking HDepot or sLowes may have the grease near the refridge replacement filters.

Food safe grease is used for water filter O rings, water softeners, and maybe just somewhere in the plumbing dept.

Tilos

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I use a few drops of cooking oil on the ring without removing it and I find it will last a couple of months. Perhaps it's because when tightening it up, I turn until the ridge of the lid is vertical. Then there are no leaks and it's not overtight. If it's too hard to turn to vertical I know it's time to re-oil.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRider
    I struggled for years with tight camelbak closures; they are almost impossible to open.
    I recently started pulling the o-ring off, putting cooking oil on it, and re-installing. I used pam cooking spray, and takes a few seconds. I also tried keg lube, which did not work so well.

It does not last more than a day or two, but is a massive improvement, especially for an event like SM100. Closing is so easy, you need to be careful not to turn further than needed. Opening is much easier but still takes a little to get it going.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?
    Nalgene bladder.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Get rid of that camelbak. Why keep junk on your racing? I got a Nalgene, but the swivel hose leaks now, yet it was easy to oepn. Other bladders open at the top, and just fold to seal. If your too cheap for a new bladder another food grade grease might be partionally hydrogenated oil (crisco) it will never go rancid as it's not a real food, bugs won't even eat it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks all for the feedback.
    I do have some concern about cooking oil going rancid; one reason I was looking for ideas.

The oil did work great at SM100 this past weekend, so we have that going.
    I did try food grade silicone and did not like it; more stiction than expected, a surprise.

I'll be looking into a different brand when I need to replace what I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Water works for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
    Water works for me.
    Water? In a Camel Bak??? Bullocks I say!
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    Water? In a Camel Bak??? Bullocks I say!
    Not in it. Run water over the caps seal before closing. Closes easy and opens easy. Nothing special needed.

Yooper
    Feb 2015
    Dang. Wish I had seen this a month ago. I sent in my 2L bladder, hose and all, because the quick connect for the hose was getting to be super tough to connect and disconnect. They sent back a military grade bladder and hose. I'm ok with the bladder, but the hose is ridiculous! I suppose it will be nice for winter; but my pack is a girly pack, and I don't want that big thing hangin' on it! I sent another claim, and hopefully they'll send a proper tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
    Not in it. Run water over the caps seal before closing. Closes easy and opens easy. Nothing special needed.
    Clearly my sarcasm was lost in cyberspace....
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

Members who have read this thread: 47