mtbr member
    May 2013

Building XC Endurance

I am new to mountain biking and wanting to try some shorter races this fall. Coming from a tri background I know how to work on my endurance. My question falls in what do you guys do when the trails are to wet to ride? Is riding my mountain bike on the road a viable alternative on crappy trail days? It seems like the riding would be different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ride a road a lot. It's hard for me to get to a trail to ride, so I spend at least 3 days a week on my road bike. Cardiovascular endurance, and muscular endurance will cross over. What will not is the handling skills you get from time in the woods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I spent most of this spring riding my mountain bike on the road due to trail conditions. It is also easier to keep your heart rate in target zones on the road if you are training in that fashion. I am now at the point I actually prefer riding my mt bike on the road as opposed to my road bike. It is more comfortable than my road bike, I go slower for the same hear rate (cuts windchill in the winter) so I do not have to plan long routes, and it helps my body get used to the mt bike position. Other than doing group rides with people using road bikes, I don't have a good reason to use my road bike anymore.

Feral Roadie
    Most serious XC racers spend a significant amount of time on a road bike. It won't help your skills, but pedaling is pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    MTB is part endurance part intervals, take a look at a power log from a mountain bike race and its just interval after interval of varying length, from 10 seconds to 3 or 5 or 20 minutes -- course dependent. The road is a great place for interval training.

Adventure Mapper
    intervals on rollers in the garage with music.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/