mtbr member

Bringing endurance back after 2 months of minimal riding

Due to a crazy amount of travel the past 2 months, I've struggled to get in the usual volume and frequency. Went from 6-10 hrs/wk (my typical weekly range) to 2-3hrs (all on the trainer) and the last ride over 4 hrs was 4wks ago, yikes. And the last two weeks I wasn't able to ride at all (but did do some running).

In order to bring my endurance fitness up over the next few weeks, am I better off re-focusing on lots of Z2 miles in 2 long rides/week on the road and mtn bike outside, or trying to ride 4-5 days/wk for 1-3hrs, which would be both HIT on the trainer and some trail riding to freshen up the muscles needed for trail riding?

Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am no expert but like everyone I have struggled to get time in due to travel, work, family matter etc. I guess my 2 cents woule be it depends what your training for. I find I need lots of short rides and those dont matter as much, but if I am training for a mtn bike event I need to get 1 long ride on the mtn bike in at least 3 out of 4 weeks. General rule of thumb I have been told is long shouldnt be more than 50% of avg weekly volume, I have never worried about that though as long as you are listening to body it will tell when you need a rest day or two.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!