mtbr member

Breck 100 (68 mile edition) Endurance Training

I am doing the somewhat smaller version of the Breck 100 (68 mile, 9k feet of climbing) this July. I am a little concerned after reading some articles on the effects of elevation. I live and ride mostly in southern California (San Diego). Typically I ride 2-3 times a week climbing about 1500 feet per ride, so 9000 feet would be a butt kicker in my own backyard, let alone at a much higher elevation. I have about 6 months to train. I need to significantly increase my endurance, and at the same time do what I can to prepare for the increased elevation. I am currently in decent shape, 6'1" 175 pounds at 46 years old. I do plenty of weight training and core, and have typically used mtbiking and running (I usually run 3-6 miles at a 8:45 pace 1-2 times a week) for my cardio. I have to take my fitness to another level to even finish this thing, or I know I probably won't. I am reluctant to hire a trainer since I know that can be pricey, but I am looking for any input you guys can feed me. Seems like there is a lot of great experience in this forum. Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member extraordinair
    Interested in the responses you get. You sound just like me!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You could always start exploring areas out side your normal rides and make them your epic long weekend adventures. Pushing harder is easier in your local area but going longer can benefit from a change of scenery. Getting faster or strong isn't rocket science if you can spare the time, you just need to ride & run more and go harder when you feel you can from time to time. If your running make sure your trail running becuase that'll benefit your MTBing a lot more, also as you increase your MTBing do the same with running. I typical evening ride for me is 20-30 miles with 4000-6000' of climbing, my runs can be 10-15 miles with 2000-4000' of climbing. My easy recovery days are ether 5 mile road runs or 30 mile road bike rides. Alternate days if you can, doing so I find recovers the opposing muscle group faster because they act as support muscles and only get a light workout. I can run hard and ride hard day after day with little muscle stiffness if I alternate days because running and cycling use slightly different muscles, but note you only have one cardio system so be wary of wearing that down to far for to long.

I used to have personal trainers, they were called freinds faster then me, find some and go ride

mtbr member
    I live in SoCal also and have signed up for the Breck100(68). I did hire a trainer but there are definitely ways to do it without hiring someone. Start with this maybe?

50 Mile Mountain Bike Race - Finishers Plan | TrainingPeaks

mtbr member
    Lots of climbing....even the 68 is a beast. Hard to say how your body will react to the elevation. Might be worth having a heart rate monitor and staying in your zone....no matter what you do to train you will have reduced output on that course because of elevation and the fact that it is just a really hard race.

mtbr member
    Sustained climbing and intervals...you will get the little french climb first, then some downhill and jeep road, then over to the west ridge climb. Both are butt kickers...at least west ridge is a longer climb (the downhill after is worth it), little french is just short, steep, and loose. A few other short climbs thrown in there as well.
    Boreas Pass loop is not too bad at all...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As far as elevation goes do a road trip into the mountains near home and see ho you do. Get to Breck a fe days earlier if you can, otherwise, try to spend at least a few days here and there at altitude if you can swing it. That might help a little, and some people coming from low elevation do better at altitude than others (it doesn't have that much to do with fitness). Otherwise you'll just have to suffer through it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I live and ride in Colorado and I completed the Breck 100 (full 100 miler) in 2012. Every individual feels the impacts of elevation differently. I tend to feel it more than some of my peers when I climb 14ers, etc. One thing that helps me is to carefully monitor my nutrition and water intake. If I don't ingest enough calories at altitude, I crash pretty quickly. I also need to drink a lot more water at altitude than at lower elevations. You WILL feel the altitude at this race. Everyone does. But if you train properly and nail the nutrition, you should be fine. I rode the Breck with a friend from Texas who was fine at altitude and beat my time by a wide margin. Have fun! This race is a blast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael15 View Post
    I live in SoCal also and have signed up for the Breck100(68). I did hire a trainer but there are definitely ways to do it without hiring someone. Start with this maybe?

50 Mile Mountain Bike Race - Finishers Plan | TrainingPeaks
    Close. You actually would want to do LWCoaching's (Lynda Wallenfels) 100 km training plans. There's a finisher and a personal record plan: LW Coaching ENDURANCE mtb race training plans

I'm an elite endurance mountain bike racer here in CO, and have been using Lynda's plans for 5 years now. Trust me, it'll get you to the finish and a decent finish time as well.

As far as elevation goes, get here early as mentioned, and drink lots of water as soon as you get here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    To reiterate others, don't worry about the elevation. It affects people differently. I came out here from Michigan and it took me months to feel right, but I wasn't fit at the time. I've had friends come here from sea level and win races. I've read evidence that says getting here a week early is basically useless, then again some say it helps. Honestly I don't think it does but what I know helps is hydration. Make sure you're getting lots of water several days before the race.

Just train for the event as you normally would. E.g there's a lot of climbing at Breck, so...climb. As Gunchie mentioned maybe buy a training plan. LW or Mtbcoach.com have $100 options that will get you a good result if followed. I'm thinking about doing the same as I feel like I want more structure this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You could ride your mtb bike up to Julian and hit as much dirt as possible. I did that once, it was fun riding new stuff. The miles go by faster.