Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Grip it and rip it.

Brake system poll.. X post from brake forum.

Hey, i was wondering what brake systems are the most popular for marathon racing

My guesses would be that Avid, Formula, Hayes and Hope are the most popular.

I'm hoping to ditch my Formula Oro's this year after a bit of dissapointment with them. Any suggestions for a RELIABLE racing brake, that is DURABLE??

Thanks!

(So theres no real poll, but i could'nt figure out how to make one)
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    I'm perfectly satisfied with formula. best brake ever!

before, i had some problems with juicy 7. (definitely not happy when hot and often irritating loud)

Grip it and rip it.
    I like the performance of them,. but i'm not happy with the durability. The leavers coming out has ended two of my races this year. A waste of a long journey to the race venue for something small like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    I like the performance of them,. but i'm not happy with the durability. The leavers coming out has ended two of my races this year. A waste of a long journey to the race venue for something small like that.
    THe levers pop out for a reason- to avoid breaking. You can pop them back in without much trouble. It doesn't even take a tool in most cases - though it may take a small allen wrench, depending on how you have the lever reach set.

I really like my Oro Puros for function, weight, reliability. Formula USA has been good with support and parts following a crash.

The drawback with the Formulas is that they seem to be rare (uncommon as OEM), so LBSs don't carry parts and pads and don't know a thing about them. That has been my experience in parts of Oz and both eastern and western Canada. Hence, you are one your own maintaining them and carrying spare parts. For someone that doesn't want to do that, Avid and Shimano would be safer bets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    kinda heavy but avid bb7... rock solid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan
    The drawback with the Formulas is that they seem to be rare (uncommon as OEM), so LBSs don't carry parts and pads and don't know a thing about them. That has been my experience in parts of Oz and both eastern and western Canada. Hence, you are one your own maintaining them and carrying spare parts. For someone that doesn't want to do that, Avid and Shimano would be safer bets.
    here in croatia i can get most of the spare parts within 24 hrs.
    if you want to pimp braking power and durability of the pads, try to get green swisstop pads. much better then oem.

swisstop

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by devilish_dwarf
    here in croatia i can get most of the spare parts within 24 hrs.
    if you want to pimp braking power and durability of the pads, try to get green swisstop pads. much better then oem.

swisstop

Good to know. I'll try the swisstops.

Grip it and rip it.
    I've spent lots of frustrating time trying to get the leaver back in by the side of the race course, with no luck. I was happy to see lots of replys today, but none of these posts are really what i'm looking for... i want DIFFERENT BRAKES

Grip it and rip it.
    Oh this never happened with my old Hopes by the way,, why can't Formula just sort it out??

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    bb7s haven't failed me yet. plus on longer point to point type races you could theoretically replace a cable if you somehow snapped one. that said my next bike will likely have the new elixers from avid. i want even more power than the bb7s, and kinda been itching to give hydros a serious try and everyone i've talked to likes them.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    I've spent lots of frustrating time trying to get the leaver back in by the side of the race course, with no luck. I was happy to see lots of replys today, but none of these posts are really what i'm looking for... i want DIFFERENT BRAKES
    if you don't like formula, try with new xt.
    modulation maybe not like formula, but strong if not stronger and heavy duty.

jms
    mtbr member

Mini-Pro X2's

I've had zero problems with the Hope Mini Pro X2's. They're quite a bit more powerful than the previous generation Mini Pro's, rotors run drag free after wheel changes, the brake pads are now top loading, generally quiet stoppers, and they're light. Just a great brake.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Ultimates

I have 3 years on my Juicy Ultimates on one bike and juicy 7's on the other. No issues with either...I guess I've had great luck with breaks. I finally threw the ultimates on the SS last week as I figure they are getting pretty old and probably need a reduced workload. I think I'm going to get some Marta's for their replacement. The Elixer Mag's and Formula's are tempting, but the Marta's just seem bombproof and the price is right.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can get a lot more power out of the BB7s by moving the inboard pad closer to the rotor. If your rotors are true you can turn your that adjustment dial until there is about a 0.005 clearance and it'll make your brakes feel like on/off switches.

The problem I have with my BB7s is not in power, but modulation, which is where the hydros are supposed to supersede it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've had Juicy Ultimates (3 pair in 2 seasons -- thanks, Avid, but come on!), and now have Elixir CR Mags on both bikes, with fingers crossed. So far, so good.

But.......I also have a 5 year old pair of Shimano XTs that have held up perfectly by rigorously maintaining them by changing pads when they wear out. Nothing else. No bleeds, no fluid replacement. No nothing (well, a little clean and lube on the pistons when I change pads).

If I had the chance to spec brakes, it would the new Shimano XTs. I guess the new ServoWave system gives more clearance between the rotor and pads, too, which is a big bonus to me, since less perfection in setup is demanded. But as long as the Elixirs keep on working well, I'll save the $$$.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    (cont from kosmo)
    interesting about the XTs, Im considering them for my current endurance xc build. One thing I keep hearing about them is that they are bomb proof (next to no maintenance) which for me is a big plus. Set and forget brakes.

Has anyone experienced otherwise?

Grip it and rip it.
    How do the weight of the XT's compare to other systems?? Mid pack or heavier?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think brake systems are just one of those things where how it works is so much more important than how much heavier it may be over other competitors. XT brakes are one of the few products that get consistently good reviews.

Ride, Sleep, Work
    I have been using Shimano XTR M960s and I really like them OEM pads not that great, but I put Clarks pads in mine and they are steller. I have about 800 miles of racing on mine with zero problems.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member
    Shimano Brakes, and I'm guessing most mineral oil breaks, pretty much stop working when temps get below 30 faranheit...at least in my experience. This is the ONLY reason I use brake fluid brakes now and will continue to do so.
    Avid's have been awesome, after long break-in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do the XT's require a long break-in period?

In the south the trails close when it freezes since it turns the muddy soil into yogurt.

Grip it and rip it.
    I never really ride below freezing so that wouldnt be a problem about the XT's.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Can't say which brakes are best - but I can say that Avid hydros have been nothing but trouble. Seems every time I grab a bike the brakes need bled, or are rubbing, or just plain fail.

I may be going to BB7s, but I've heard good things about the Martas too. They are supposed to work really well once they are setup and bled properly.
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I guess ...

Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    I think brake systems are just one of those things where how it works is so much more important than how much heavier it may be over other competitors. XT brakes are one of the few products that get consistently good reviews.
    That I would tend to agree, except that Hope Mono Mini Pros have been trouble free for me, are easy to maintain, and they are some of the lightest brakes available. As far as I am concerned I have trouble free performance and a very light brake system.

mtbr member
    I love my xt's, they're great.

Rode them today in 34 degree weather; 17 miles at Snake Creek Gap with some gnarly downhill rocky descents and had absolutely no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast