mtbr member

New question here. Boggs 8-hr/Enduro Noob Qs

Hey all--
    I am thinking of doing Boggs this year. I am looking for any advice/info that a Boggs noob/rookie should know about the race and hanging out/camping for the weekend.

*How soon does the race fill up?
    *What's the camping like?
    *What's the Super D course like? (Too crazy to do on a rigid?)

Thanks in advance.

I like mtn biking, too

Boggs 8-hr/Enduro Noob Qs

Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Hey all--
    I am thinking of doing Boggs this year. I am looking for any advice/info that a Boggs noob/rookie should know about the race and hanging out/camping for the weekend.

*How soon does the race fill up?
    *What's the camping like?
    *What's the Super D course like? (Too crazy to do on a rigid?)

Thanks in advance.
    I have done Boggs the past 4 or 5 years now.

It fills up fairly fast - like in a week or two I think.

Camping is primitive - no showers, no water. Not much rv space. But it's pretty amongst the ponderosa and it's fun! Bikemonkey will send all the details upon registration.

I did fine on the Super D on a hardtail. One trail has a rocky creek bed crossing and a few other rocky sections, but nothing too technical. I would think fully rigid might be inefficient though. You can use a different bike for the Super D than you used on the 8 hour.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, Shredchic. Just what I am looking for. My question about the rigid is because it is my only bike.
    Sounds like a geat time. I am no threat to even sniff a podium so I'll probably give the Super D a go with the rigid.
    Keep the info coming.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah reg doesn't open till next week so I'm wondering what cost will be for all three races, what did you guys pay last year?

Ill be running my single speed in all three events but I love to go fast so I've got a 100mm fork on the front. Then only thing I may do is run a larger cog for the hill climb but only if my laziness doesn't settle in before the race.

Id be cool if everyone had to use the same bikes for all three events but that's a logistics nightmare for bike monkey.

I like mtn biking, too
    It was something like $125 last year. Sounds expensive, but it includes a T-shirt, meal, beer and camping. It's always a great time - lots of fun post-race activities (like pixie race) and fun trails.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Somehow I had the idea it was around $90. Can anyone confirm the price for this year? I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything.

Team Bionic Pickle
    Well, you'll know the cost on the 7th when reg opens. Have raced 8 solo at Boggs for a few years now. Looking forward to trying the Enduro for the first time this year. Yeah - wish Bikemonkey had the resources to make sure all 3 stages are raced on the same machine. I've been sort of hoping they introduce a rule like that this year - we'll see. It's a great scene out there... in general very little attitude. Have a great race!

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    I agree in theory.

However, I ripped my derailleur hanger off (and my derailleur in half) on lap 4 of the 8-hour last year. Woulda been tough to finish with that bike! 'Course, I was pretty bad in all three parts last year, so it wouldn't have affected my results substantially anyway...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just checked the site and there no register button, at least not one I can find
    It is a Mtb race after all so maybe they're still a little hung over this morning

mtbr member
    My understanding is that that reg opens at 9am PST.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Group registration fee discount. Looks like you only save on the 8hr but savings is saving right? Who wants to get a group together for this. It's not a team or anything just everyone uses the same code untill we get the required # of riders.
    Boggs Group Registration ? Bike Monkey

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just fired off an email with several questions to bike monkey about classes and group reg so I'll let you guys know what I get back for a response.

Its odd they only have pro classes in the 8hr so I'm not sure what to sign up for if I want to go for the all three classes overall thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok for single speed overall you can pick ether SS class for the 8hr it doesn't matter, SS is SS.

For the group entry someone would need to pay the full lump sum then collect money from each individual in the group and each person can then use a code to get their discount on only the 8hr. As much as I like you guys I don't think I want to trust several hundred dollars to limbo while I wait for everyone make up their mind. I guess it'll be a close freind and family deal.

Course info won't be released till much closer to the date, probably week of the race.

Total cost without discount for all three races is $137

I like mtn biking, too

Boggs 8-hr/Enduro Noob Qs

I'm in! My first age group class. ugh. Looking forward to the superD!
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    I'm in. Looking forward to my first Boggs experience. Let the rookie hazing begin

I am in Fairfield so if anyone out my way is interested in traveling up together or camping together, hit me up.

Initially I'm thinking of heading up early Thurs to settle in, ride around, and maybe see if the Bike Monkey folks needed a hand with anything before race day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Anyone know what catagory to join? This is my first MTB race ever! But i live here in cobb about 5 min from the trailhead to boggs. so i have been riding a lot and think i could do good?? should i join the beginner category or sport?? i just scored a spot off craigslist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you think your decently quick then I'd go for sport because the beginners class is a few modest bunch that do it more because they just want to finish the race. In sport you start getting riders who would like to finish and if possible get a good result. The expert class is full of people who think about nothing but a good result every time they ride. Then you got the pro class, those guys are only concerned with one thing, and that's first place.

Regardless of what class you enter while all be racing the same race at the same time so for the here and now experience of the race it doesn't matter what class your in because you'll be racing whoever is in sight at that moment.