mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Big Mountain Enduro #4, Durango

Anyone race this event? I am going to registrer for this and I'd like any info on this event....
    1. How many miles each day
    2. Can you enter as a team
    3. How technical is the ride
    4. What gear/food do you recommend bringing
    5. Where do you sleep ? Expected to bring a tent and overnight gear.?
    6. Any insight from someone who has done this enduro in Durango would be helpful.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You might want to post this in the Enduro forum Enduro/Super D Racing

I'm not sure how many of the Enduro racers visit the Endurance forum, which is basically at the opposite end of the spectrum, though people can and certainly do race both types of events. Viva variety!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    Anyone race this event? I am going to registrer for this and I'd like any info on this event....
    1. How many miles each day
    2. Can you enter as a team
    3. How technical is the ride
    4. What gear/food do you recommend bringing
    5. Where do you sleep ? Expected to bring a tent and overnight gear.?
    6. Any insight from someone who has done this enduro in Durango would be helpful.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    You might want to post this in the Enduro forum Enduro/Super D Racing

I'm not sure how many of the Enduro racers visit the Endurance forum, which is basically at the opposite end of the spectrum, though people can and certainly do race both types of events. Viva variety!
    ... Haha - ok, please school me on the difference ... ? I currently to 4-6 hr endurance races in Texas... I ride a 29er, Tallboy carbon Santa Cruz... What am I getting my myself with this race... Do I have the right bike, equipment , training... ? I simply thought this was going to be 2 days of a 6 hr MTB race with a lot more inclines and declines... No?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    ... Haha - ok, please school me on the difference ... ? I currently to 4-6 hr endurance races in Texas... I ride a 29er, Tallboy carbon Santa Cruz... What am I getting my myself with this race... Do I have the right bike, equipment , training... ? I simply thought this was going to be 2 days of a 6 hr MTB race with a lot more inclines and declines... No?
    Yeah, I think the name is misleading. You'll probably have a really good time, it's just a far different event than a typical 4 hour XC event. I think this quote from the website describes it well: "Courses will feature predominantly downhill timed "special" stages linked together by non-timed liaison climbing stages. This rapidly growing discipline combines the physical endurance of cross-country riding with the technical difficulty and excitement of downhill racing."

Regarding the right bike and training, I guess that depends on your downhill skills and how competitive you want to be on the timed stages. It's supposed to sort of take all that speed and endurance you've built up from years of hard training to do those 4-6 hour xc events and throw it out the window, so that out of shape people can have some chance to compete just based on their awesome bike handling skills in the few short downhill sections. I say that tongue in cheek, because if you've been riding enough to do 4-6 hour xc events, you've most likely developed some good bike handling skills along the way, but the idea is for the event to maybe be less intimidating for those who don't have the time (which is substantial) to train for XC/marathon events, and to cater to selling bikes in the 5-6" travel range, ie it should be a little too rough to nail your best time on a xc bike, but have enough pedaling that it can't be dominated on WC DH bike.

Edit: What I said is true for many Enduro events, but this looks like an epic enduro event. There just isn't enough info on the course yet, to know how much climbing is in the non-timed stages, for example, or how pure DH the timed sections are, but it looks like the people who podium in this race are bound to be some in-shape mofos. It looks like a really cool race. My inner cynic just needed to have its say though... Anyway, these races are different enough from Endurance XC that mtbr.com felt they deserved their own forum. It's an exploding new discipline. I'm definitely Enduro-curious, but I have scheduling conflicts for the first few races of the series, and I'm already planning on the Breck Epic (which is adding some sort of Enduro format too apparently) so I can only manage so many big trips in one season. It would be nice to hit one of them, and decide if I want to shift some focus to that for next season.
    Last edited by DLd; 04-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

bike rider
    I think if an XCer from Texas raced today's stages they would have been blown away and had the time of their life. The scenery, the epic up-and-out thereness, and the length and gnarliness of the stages. Both climbs were real deal too, though you can go at a mellow pace. However, most XC riders and bikes would at the absolute limit on this course, especially if attempting to go fast. The worse you experience and skills with riding difficult terrain the more forgiveness you need from the bike so if you wanna enter an enduro check what the courses will be like and make sure you have an appropriate ride.
    Tomorrow's first stage caters to someone who is a really good XC rider on incredibly technical terrain. There's more down than up but it has lots of flat and uphill over rocks. It was part of the Singlespeed World Championships course* but the top times will come from dropper post, 6" bikes that were plowed over the rocks that the SSers danced around. The riders of those bike will be fit enough to win any Cat 1 XC race and most Pro XC races. Then Stage 4 will be a Texan's dream: Miles of twisty buff singletrack, but at enogh pitch that you have to balance braking and traction with the need for speed.
    What's cool about Enduro is the variety of courses, riders, and equipement.

*Fun Fact: The winner of that SS World Champs was top American Enduro racer Ross Schnell. He won the Durango Enduro last year but is out with a shoulder injury from the Wrold Enduro round in Winter Park.
    Keep the Country country.