Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best hydrapack option

This year will be the first year I have been on 100 mile unsupported races. In the past endurance races I've done, there has always been support of some kind. I was wondering if just bottles is preferred, figuring you get water in 30-40 miles, or is a waterpack just the way to go, and what brand. I used a camelback for Ouachita 80 mile last year, and it felt heavy on my back and shoulders. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go to www.wingnutgear.com

All your questions will be answered there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'd agree with Scooter. I have been riding and racing for 17 years. I've used every hydration pack known to mankind and I have a shelf of disgarded packs to prove it. Wingnut can be pricey though they're comfortable enought for a hundred miler race or just a 2 hour XC ride. I own 2 different models, a Hyper 2.5 for endurance racing and an Assault for shorter races and general XC riding. The coool thing about the 2.5 is that all of the storage pockets are accesible while riding.
    http://wingnutgear.com/product_detai...product_id=126
    http://wingnutgear.com/product_detai...product_id=117

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

In FTF We Trust
    Has anyone ridden with both the Ergon and Wingnut packs? I've been using an Ergon off and on (way more off than on) the past few years and it still gives my back grief. Granted, maybe I need to further adjust it but I'm curious if the Wingnut would work better for me.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Another for Wingnut

Solved the problem of feeling the weight on back, neck, arms.

mtbr member
    innov-8

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So I'm in the market for a new hydration pack looked at the the wingnut site -- like the looks of the Split back. Any more detailed pictures on where the bladder fits - how easy it is to get in and out, etc. thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I guess I'm old-school, but when racing, I demand access to my jersey pockets. For packs, I've had the best luck with the Camelbak Hydrobak, which only holds 1.5 liters and includes only one small pocket, which is nicely sized for a multi-tool and CO2 cartridge.

It's externally refillable, and retails for only $35 with bladder and bite valve.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Osprey Talon 11 for day rides, Talon 22 for >24 hours.

AZ
    banned
    Hydra Pak Laguna for long rides .

mtbr member
    I have two Camelbacks and a Dueter that I have spend significant time riding and racing with. I prefer bottles when I can get away with it, but on longer training rides without civilization I run the Deuter Hydro Lite 2.0 (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/pr...tion&tert=hydr) and love it. I haven't had any problems accessing pockets with it like some of the larger hydro packs.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Camelbak

I use a Camelbak without any troubles. I like it because I can access my jersey pockets with it on. One trick I learned on Trans Iowa this year was to use two 24 ounce bottles and to fill my Camelbak bladder enough to get to the next town and then some. Usually around 50 ounces. Then, I would drink from the bladder first and leave the bottles for last. This worked wonderfully because even with it having 50 ounces in it it was pretty light and when empty I hardly could feel it.

Good luck!

Your Best Friend

Camelbak Hydrobak

I love this setup. Like Kosmo said, easy to fill, light on the back and one pocket big enough for my multi-tool, tire boot and co2. The only jersey pocket it blocks is my center one so I carry the emergency tube there. The others are for gels, food, camera, etc..

one more time
    Oct 2005
    This is worth a look - its comes with a 2l reservoir but I often jam a 3l bladder in it with no issues.

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recre...ctane-18x.aspx

Its light.. and Ive been using it for a couple of years and seems pretty durable. Its not a mountain biking specific pack so I guess its designed to be a touch lighter...
    Bikes, beer and pizza.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Wingnut Hyper 2.5 is just what I'm looking for!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Photos of wingnut?

Anyone have a photo of them wearing a wingnut 2.5 or 3.0? I just can't get a feel of their size from the product shots on the website.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by rich caramadre
    Anyone have a photo of them wearing a wingnut 2.5 or 3.0? I just can't get a feel of their size from the product shots on the website.
    I have a 3.0 and I would compare its size to that of a Camelback Mule. It hangs lower of course in the lumbar region. I have used the Cameback Hawg for over 5 years and the 3.0 holds more gear, is easier to access pockets and just feels better on the long rides. If riding unsupprted I would say 3.0 because you can fit the kitchen sink in there.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    I've been running a Camelbak MULE for almost three years now. It does the job but it comes at a cost of back/neck pain towards the end of the long rides. All these reviews on the Wingnut have peaked my interest. What kind of bladders are you running in your Wingnuts (specifically the Hyper 2.5)? Curious to know who makes the bladder, what size you are using, etc. The product description really doesn't state what size works in there.
    Signature

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I run the female version of the MULE where the shoulder straps pull more inwards. Fits heaps better. No trouble on long rides and carries all my stuff just fine.

mtbr rememberer
    i have been using a hydrapak Big Sur 3L(100 oz). on longer rides (3-5 hours) I never noticed any pain/discomfort. Plenty of room for spare tubes, tools, food, extra water bottles even with a full bladder.

cleaning the reversible bladder is a piece o' cake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    so does anyone have a picture with them using a wingnut pack?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ooops
    Last edited by scooter2468; 03-05-2010 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was going to order a Wingnut based on some of the reviews here and other places. Then noticed that it does not come with a bladder and did not see them for sale on the site. I e mailed W/Nut and they said they're not selling the bladders right now. What?? I did find some aftermarket, but it really pushed the overall cost up. Think I'll just stick with the Deuter pack that brung me, or switch to one of the uber small C'Baks.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The only way to keep the cost down is to cannibalize a pack you already own and put the bladder in the new pack.

Silly business plan, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast