mtbr member

Best Bike for Endurance Race- 26 FS or 29 HT?

Just volunterred for the PCP2P- great race. Unbelievable how fast Alex/Tinker/Josh were!

Will be racing next it next year. Currently have a 13 year old 26 HT...Am 6'1"...

Need to get a new bike. Am trying to figure out if a 26 FS or 29 HT is the best option for a 8-9 hour race? I would imagine the 1st couple hours would be faster on a HT- but would it be more comfortable on a FS bike for the long haul??? Don't think I'd want a 29 FS due to the weight.

Has anyone done endurance races on both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedO2 View Post
    Don't think I'd want a 29 FS due to the weight.
    you should do your research. i'd choose and epic or spearfish or lenz 4.0 first on the list.

mtbr member
    +1 for the above. I've run the gamut of endurance racing bikes over the years, and short-ish travel FS 29er is my favorite.

If I were to answer your actual question (not that common on the interweb, eh?!) I'd choose HT 29er.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Daniel the Dog
    I really enjoy my Niner Jet 9. Sure, it is heavier than a 26er and you lose about a gear of grunt gearing on the steepest of climbs; however, I just feel like I can push harder for longer and feel fresher. At your size, I think it is a no brainer to at least try.

mtbr member
    I just raced the PCPP on my 29er HT (Niner A9C) and it was a good bike. Parts of the race had me wishing for a full squishy (John's!!!!!) and a bit of the mid-mountain trail. Nothing is going to feel good after 9+ hours (11:28 for me), and I was really happy to have the HT for all that climbing. If I go full-squish for next year, it'll definitely be a 29er FS. There's a lot of terrain where the bigger wheels are just going to roll better on that course.

If I'm on my bike for 8 or 9 hours, I want full suspension. As for what wheel size, I feel it depends on the course.

If you have the budget, you can get a reasonably light fs 29er.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Livin' the Dream
    I've been using my Yeti ASR-C for 3 years now for XC and endurance. It is a great platform for just about any terrain. As was mentioned, nothing feels great after hours in the saddle. I'm 6'2" and have been thinking about the 29er route for a while so I borrowed an Orbea Alma from the LBS for a local 6 hour race. Make no mistake, a 29er HT is still a hardtail! It was much tougher on me than the Yeti. It's got me thinking about 29er FS all the way. The new Scalpel 29 looks sweet.

Dirty South Underdog
    Rigid SS 29er

Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Rigid SS 29er

dont listen to her, she's insane! look at the way she thinks that puppy is a water bottle
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Jet9 vs. Ti or Carbon ht 29er...yep...done it..

Seems like either one will be a huge upgrade HT29er ftw... IF you are transitioning from aluminum 26" hardtail with high psi/tubes, then going to a carbon 29er hardtail with tubeless set up is going to seem like heaven...

I feel that titanium, while less "snappy/quick" than carbon, is the ultimate material for an endurance 29er hardtail fwiw...

For XC, I like carbon a tad bit more..

Lynskey is pretty good bang for buck. Motobecane, while lacking bling factor is a pretty good deal too.. Wow...did I just admit that??

24 hr solo?? Hmm...maybe get full squish??

mtbr member

29er FS...

Another vote for 29er FS. Anything over 4 hours and I need FS. Maybe, if you are really young and fit, and your body is trained to take 9 or more hours of abuse a HT can work, but I suspect that FS will be faster for most riders over longer distances.
    Considering how much $ can be spent on racing, and training, $6K or so for a really good carbon FS 29er does not seem like too much money.
    I would be looking at the Tallboy and Niner Jet RDO, or the new Scapel, with a well specced build you can end up with a reliable, fast, comfortable bike under 24 lbs. Big wheels with a light, high volume tire (Ikon, Race King) are a definite advantage the longer you go, unless the courses are butter smooth...

You could always look into 650b as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    You could always look into 650b as well.
    As someone who owns a 18lb 650b bike that i ride often, that wheel size is better used as a band-aid on existing bikes then a new platform to start from. It really made my DISS ride better, but i would never build/buy a bike from scratch with that wheel size....but like i said it has it's place.

I am sure i'll get flamed by the 12 people in the 650b forum for saying that, but it's ok, i am a firefighter too, i can take heat.