mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bear Attack During 24HR Race!

A 14 year old girl was apparently attacked by a bear during one of her night laps at a 24 hour race up in Alaska! They think her helmet saved her life, since the bear bit her on the head.

Story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25446868

I sure hope she's gonna be O.K. That's gotta hurt!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    That msnbc report is all wrong.
    This one still has a lot of errors but it is closer to what really happened.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/450061.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well, since you were the first on scene I guess you would know what really happened. Good job on keeping calm and getting EMS out there ASAP! I've been first on scene at bad car wrecks before, but that must have been pretty awful. Hope she pulls through and gets well soon.

Be careful out there boys and girls!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member

Hey Alaska riders...do you typically bring along bear spray on your epic rides? Wonder if it really works.

We want... a shrubbery!
    The effectiveness of bear spray is heavily debated up here, but I carry the spray on longer rides and now on the shorter rides. However, the hard part is keeping the bear spray in an easily accessible location...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    The effectiveness of bear spray is heavily debated up here, but I carry the spray on longer rides and now on the shorter rides. However, the hard part is keeping the bear spray in an easily accessible location...
    there's a product called bear alaska, i think. but anyway it comes with a holster that rides on your chest somehow. makes it real handy should you need it. you can buy the product at cabelas online.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Man, I think I'd be looking for a way to ride with a handgun without shooting myself. Bear spray sounds nice, but if it didn't work...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthhog
    Man, I think I'd be looking for a way to ride with a handgun without shooting myself. Bear spray sounds nice, but if it didn't work...
    ...then you're in the same shape you'd be in if your handgun didn't work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    That msnbc report is all wrong.
    This one still has a lot of errors but it is closer to what really happened.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/450061.html
    Pete - you are a hero in more ways than one. Wow, amazing courage that had to take to stay put with the injured girl knowing that the bear could come back at any minute and try to claim what it previously attacked. Our thoughts and best wishes are with the victim and her road back to recovery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    that bear reppellant spray i'm talking about is some really good stuff. a lot of hunting and fishing guides carry it with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 738
    ...then you're in the same shape you'd be in if your handgun didn't work?
    Or if you didn't have it at all. I'd rather have the bear spray with me and "hope it works" than not have it and have no hope for a deterrent other than a change of mood on the part of the bear.

featherweight clydesdale

Vande strikes

Pete or someone may want to respond and put this quack in his place once again. He's spewing his usual propaganda from the comments under the article on Pete's link.

I was going to copy and paste the nonsense, but why give him a bigger audience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Way to go Pete! You are a hero in many eyes including my own. I would hope that every one of us would do the very same thing if we were put into that situation... I'm sure of it.

I remember reading about this the day after it happened. Now reading this thread and "meeting" the person responsible for assisting this fellow racer I couldn't help to do more searching... I needed to know how she was doing. I found many stories written out there and this one brought a smile to my face because it had a statement release from the family;

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?s=8598953

But then I found this story and wanted to see how accurate it was and would like to ask Pete to comment on it.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_9758086

I only ask this because it seems that one report (early on) mentioned that a racer "heard the cell phone ringing and stopped". This one tells a little bit of a different story.

Either way, someone stopped which is great. And the bottom line is that she is going to be ok.

Thanks Pete!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthhog

I think you would need a pretty big handgun to take down a grizzly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    a .500 Smith and Wesson revolver. i saw a guy on a hunting show take down a grizzly with one at 25 yards. one shot one kill

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'd hate to rely on bear repellent. You have to being within 10 feet, which means the charging bear is about .2 seconds away from contact. That's not enough time for the bear to get 'deterred'.
    It would also be very hard to find the bear's face with that while being mauled.
    Then there's the question of whether it would even work, or make the bear more mad.

A gun can be used at a longer range, and it can be used on a bigger target (ie. don't just have to hit the eyes), and you can more easily use it while being mauled (again don't have only the eyes to hit).

Or perhaps I'll just take it on with a knife?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Up here in Alberta, the bears are pretty common. I couldn't count how many times I have encountered one. Face to face with a huge black bear about twenty feet away is pretty scary, but if you keep your wits about you the encounter can be quite a positive experience. They feed off your fear. Like an agressive dog. If you don't react like their prey, with panic and fear, they usually will just sniff you out and leave. I have been aggressively snarled at by a huge sounding grizz deep in the back country, (probably standing around it's killsite), and just got the heck outta there. The footprints(very fresh and HUGE!!! about 400-500 lbs of bearmeat!!!) showed me that it was a grizz, it was close, and the sound is something I will never forget, and don't ever want to hear again.
    But they are unpredictable and should never be taken lightly. Spray is still unproven whether it works or doesn't, but in an aggressive encounter, I would rather have it than not.
    Guns are also iffy. The worlds leading biologist is in Calgary, and a very brilliant man, Steven Herrerro, has a book that is a must read called Bear Encounters-Their causes and avoidance. In it he talks of encounters where the grizzly was only slowed down enough to get another shot to kill, with the bear dropping only ten feet from them, with a 12-guage shotgun! They move 40ft in 2 seconds!!! Hand guns might not do it. There have been cases where the bear managed to attack the person with their gun next to them and they didn't have a chance to even pick it up, so I don't know. My friend, who died in an attack, climbed up into a tree, and was pulled out of the tree and mauled. (Although that bear was antagonized by the golf course employees that were doing what management told them to do- haze it with a pressure sprayer to clear the golf course for the paying customers-lets just say that policy was changed quickly after that. But she was probably scared out of her wits and that might have been a factor. Do NOT show them fear, only respect!
    If it's your time to go, then that was your destiny, to become part of the food chain, I guess.
    Remember though, they are very unpredictable, so you never know. Just be careful out there.
    I hope she recovers well from her injuries soon, and does that 24hr race next year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by navaman
    there's a product called bear alaska, i think. but anyway it comes with a holster that rides on your chest somehow. makes it real handy should you need it. you can buy the product at cabelas online.
    I once came across a product called a "Bear Banger"; it was basicly a very loud flare gun that you shoot into the air to scare it off. Dont know how it works, but sounds like it might.

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by jyeager
    A gun can be used at a longer range, and it can be used on a bigger target (ie. don't just have to hit the eyes), and you can more easily use it while being mauled (again don't have only the eyes to hit).
    Really? so you're getting mauled by a bear but can still grab your gun and pop it in the head? I'd like to read a report of someone who managed to get a handgun kill while in the process of getting mauled.

The vast majority of charges are bluffs... so if having a gun implies that one can start shooting curious approaching bears they might want to study up on bear behaivor a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Really? so you're getting mauled by a bear but can still grab your gun and pop it in the head? I'd like to read a report of someone who managed to get a handgun kill while in the process of getting mauled..
    Yes actually. If the gun is on your person (say in a holster) you could still have a chance of getting it while being mauled. (I said a chance...some would, some woudn't).
    I've read many accounts of bear attack survivors, as you probably have, in many of these stories the person describes an attack that takes MINUTES to end.
    I remember reading one about a hunting guide that got attacked in his camp one morning. During the attack he grabbed his hunting bow from nearby, grabbed an arrow out of the quiver and began plunging it over and over in to the grizzly while being mauled. Eventually the bear walked off and died in a heap at the edge of camp. So don't tell me that there's not a chance a gun could be used while being mauled!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    The vast majority of charges are bluffs... so if having a gun implies that one can start shooting curious approaching bears they might want to study up on bear behaivor a bit.
    I agree! No need to shoot until you are sure it's not a bluff. In fact, doing so could turn a bluff in to a real life-or-death struggle.

Master Gardener
    A bear bell works perfectly. The thing about bears, including brownies, is that they don't want to encounter you any more than you want to encounter them. If they hear you coming, they will bolt. The lines of steaming bear turds left by a fleeing bruin I've encountered will attest to that.

Tiny bell. Handlebar. $5. Ring it often. Talking loudly ('Hey bear! Hey bear!" is the common call) works, too.

Most bear attacks occur when a person (a) startles a bear (b) comes between a bear and its cubs or (c) happens to encounter a bear with a fresh kill it feels compelled to defend. Hunters most often are attacked, because they are sneaking through the woods silently, on purpose.

Paranoia will destroy ya.
    Bear-anoia will destroy one of Nature's most wonderful creatures.

Wishing that young girl a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You're right....A bear bell should work nearly all the time.

In the case of this race...I read that the competitors were all equipped with bear bells and she got attacked anyway. I haven't heard if she has provided any details of the accounts. There are theories that it was a sow with a cub. Also bikes move fast enough that the bear might not have been able to walk off fast enough.
    I also think I remember reading it was windy and that the wind may have drowned out the sound of the bear bell.

mtbr member

Recovery

I was competing in the race and was interested in how the girl was doing. Im glad to see she is going to keep riding.

[/CODE]

Heres the link to the story

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Manimal,

Thanks so much for sharing. That is awesome she has recovered so fast! Hats off to her and Good luck.